Algebra - Basic Optimizer - Jazz

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

eightythreeplus

Algebra - Basic Optimizer - Jazz

Post by eightythreeplus »

Are there any projects related to parsing algebreic expressions and/or doing calculations and solving (like the 89) for the 83+? That would be an interesting/fun assembly program. I'd maybe even try it.

How about a program that "understands" some of the familiar optimizations of TI-BASIC programs and it can read from a BASIC program and change things like X=0 to not(x) or remove quotes and parentheses from the end of a program? Maybe it could also "unroll" small loops for speed as well as have the ability to determine how long a piece of code takes to run. (Assembly program of course)

How about a single-player puzzle/strategy/fighting game like Jazz 2 for the TI-83+? That would be awesome!

*edit*
Are there any good TEXT Editors for the TI-83+? Like where you can type in small font and uppercase-lowercase combination? Maybe another addition to this would be the ability to recognize tokens so they could be typed in - i.e. this TEXT editor would become a BASIC program editor with more functions, more writing on one screen, and easier to use format. I may try something like this.
* 219C9DEF0A45C954492052756C65732100 *
Treefrog

Post by Treefrog »

Can you explain a little bit further on the first topic? I've heard of the 89's function, but am not too keen on it. I'm working on an expression program that may do something like it.
eightythreeplus

Well, I have a TI-89t myself, and basically you can use any variable name that has been defined or any that has not been defined. The defined ones are replaced with whatever they represent (like the TI-83), but the undefined variables remain undefined. For example, if a = 4, then x + 3a - 2 would simplify to x + 10, where the x is still an undefined variable. A variable is any combination of 8 (or less) letters, numbers, and symbols as long as the first character is underscore or a letter.

Any expression containing an undefined variable needs to be solved, factored, expanded, etc. algebreicly instead of numerically. Compare factoring 145 with factoring x^2 - 9. Any operation that can be done to numbers on the TI-89 can be done with any expression that contains undefined variables, and the calculations will be done the same just in terms of the variables. Basically, this means any function in the catalog that takes a number as parameters can have an undefined variable expression as that parameter (usually).

The best part is the solve function. The solve function on the TI-89 takes two parameters - an equation and a variable to solve for. If you have multiple undefined variables, the equation will be solved in reference to those variables. For instance, solve(f=m*a, m) would solve the equation for m and spit out m=f/a. Solve(x^2-9,x) would spit out x=3 or x=-3.

That is a general picture of the TI-89's algebreic abilities. I thought it would be a great project (either for someone else or me) to create similar functionality for the TI-83 most likely via assembly. It probably wouldn't have to extend to every token in the catalog, but it would be nice to add, subtract, multiply, divide, factor, expand, and/or do powers and roots of alebreic expressions on a TI-83. Furthermore, multicharacter variables could probably easily be implemented...
CalcKing

Post by CalcKing »

There's already a flash application designed to give 83+ users some Symbolic capabilities.

Making a CAS (Computer Algebra System) can be extremely difficult... :wink:
Long live Z80 and #tiasm!

^^ Alas, I wrote that a long time ago. :(
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Wait, it has to be an equation. It will not solve Solve(x^2-9,x) but it will solve Solve(x^2-9=0,x). It can also do expanding and polynomial division and lots of other cool stuff.
bananas... o.o
eightythreeplus

Yeah I knew that :D. Solving expressions instead of equations is the product of late at night and not enough sleep. Also happens when you try to type a lot in a little time.