New age of calculator gaming

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Do you think this can be possible?

heck yeah, genius!
78%
heck no, you retard!
22%

Total votes: 9

lecks
Extreme Poster

New age of calculator gaming

Post by lecks »

hey i just got a great idea!!! go to

http://www.lexar.com/mp3/jd_music.html

i have a dream... since a usb jump drive has already been connected to a calculator by usb8x

( http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/art ... 30297.html ),

maybe now, somehow, we can make games, with music as mp3s, and download those along with the games, then connect the jump drive into the calculator and put ear phones in the usb mp3 and have syncronized gaming& music. it could work... and if it does there is a new future of calculator gaming.

i cant wait to see how this turns out, if it ever becomes possible.

i know it's kinda costly for the mp3 usb, and many of you already have an mp3 anyway, so this may seem like a waste of ca$h, but this may be revolutionary.. and there are already some music programs on calculators anyway. this could be possible!

(i know i may seem like a noob, but i have been on the scene for a while, just never bothered to create a file cause i was lazy... and im antisocial)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

well i would be sure if its gonna work, but if it was running a mp3 with an asm game would make it slow. I.E. if the calcs processor is processing the game and the music at the same time, it makes a big slow down.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

hey, it was just an idea... well maybe it would work on an 89t
(too bad i have an 84+si...)
but, just imagine the possibilities...
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

You don't have enough processor to decode MP3s, let alone being able to play decent waveform sounds through the link port... You can barely manage tones as it is.
Last edited by Andy_J on Fri 09 Sep, 2005 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Andy, seriously.. do you ever work with any of this stuff? At all? I never have seen you do so. :no: Waveform sound can be done (and has been done), even if slightly crude. But mp3 decoding, that's most definitely too much to do on a calc. I think someone out there needs to generate fake white noise and such, manipulate on the fly to create interesting sounds, like the intro/demo makers out there.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

First, is this you project?

Second, Andys right it requires to much processor power to decode mp3 let own play the tones. With a lack of DAC the only way to modulate the link port is using 100% of the cpu power. Problems persist with sound files taking up to much memory.

The fact is that ti84+SE is about as capable as the original gameboy. WE might be get more color in the future, WAVs could be played, We can at the moment play multi-channelness(word?) tones while a game is going, but an mp3 is impractical for gaming. Of course the USB port does kinda step up the 84 capabilities.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Im pretty sure i replied to this before but my post is gone. Its possible, but you arent a genius.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

Well, the real question is.... do we have the capability to read waveform sounds off of a usb jump drive, or what not, buffer it on the calc's memory, and play it?
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Even so I don't think that would be practical for gaming. However audio just for the sake of audio would be ok, the sound quality is deplorable if you want it as a replacement iPod, but fine if you want a calculator that can play music. Perhaps simpler games could have full-on wave sound. But the real possibility here is with extremely high quality midi for games.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

you have it all wrong, all im saying is like, you make some cheap sound effects and send it to the mp3 player, and when playing a game, the calc calls it to be played and the mp3 player plays it, not the calculator. also, you can watch movies like this, with sound... black and white, anyway...
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

You'd have to find an MP3 player that can be controlled like that....
ImageImage
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

thats the point. the computer sends songs to the mp3, so it can be controlled from an outside source. the calculator can command it to play a certain sound (filename.filetype) and the mp3 plays that sound. since that certain mp3 player has a male usb port, then it can be controlled via usb.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I still don't think it's practical. You can go out now and by a decent flash drive for like $20. Try to find a one in million mp3 that is ONLY for the calc...ehhh nah. I don't even think mp2s are used for HIGH END 3d gaming let alone calc gaming, it's more than needed.

Hopefully the driver that michael is writing could be used for most usb drives in the future but for now we are all just dreamers. For a while the 83 and 92 where the flagship calcs of TI. But time went out the 83+ and 89 became the leaders. We just have to wait till the community catches up, and the standard becomes 84+SE and 89T. Then we will likely see more uses of the hardware.

Someone should make something with that interrupt sound thing I did.

Sidenote:
If your sensing resistance it's because this has been brought like 1000 times since dans intial videos.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

explain to me about this "flash drive" you call.. what is this technology you speak of? what are you? divine, to us mere cave men, needing to know, not to fear... ahh screw it!!

what is a flash drive?
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

give me a web site or something.