Newbe help :S

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

noteventime

Newbe help :S

Post by noteventime »

Hello,
Today i bought a TI-84+ SE (SE mostly for the name :p), I'm a TOTAL noob to these kind of calculators and this one was the one my school recommended (yeah i know, newer listen to others, but i haven't had any problems with it). So i thought I'll google for some fun apps and i was overwhelmed by the amount of software. Ok lets get to the point, most apps (mostly games) need something called mirageOS and i haven't really understood what it is (shell? to me thats the linux text console :p) does it in anyway change the OS or is it just an app, iv read its an flash app and i think understand the technical part (well the basics) but not what it means practically. Could this in any way FUBAR my calc? :S Probably those are all dumb questions and feel free to redirect to some good reading material.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

mirage is just an app. you run the games from the app. that's pretty much it...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

First off, welcome to the community! I hope you stick around to see some of the great games that are being worked on. :wink:

Just a slight correction, sorry for being a stickler. Apps dont need mirageOS to operate, games do. I will explain everything in hopefully a very simple manner from here on out.

MirageOS, can be found here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 13949.html
Mirage is a Flash Application, meaning after it is sent to your calculator it is found by hitting the "APPS" button (the button with purple colored text).
Since you just got your calc, I know you will have a ton of applications or "Apps" so you will probably have to scroll through the huge list until you find a "App" titled MirageOS
Once it is highlighted (meaning the black cursor is on it, and the text becomes white) hit the "Enter" key located in the bottom right hand of your calculator.

Mirage shouldn't effect the way your calculator runs at all. As far as I am concerned, it is the best App out there for running your games and the safest.

Another app I suggest you check out is CrunchyOS, which can be found here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 32507.html
Written by dwedit, this is another great app for running calculator games on, and the program compression is damn nice. This should also be safe to run on the 84+ SE, both mirage and crunchy work fine on my 84+ SE...

For games to play with these apps, check out these great sites:
- www.ticalc.org (A huge amount of games and programs for all TI calcs)
- www.maxcoderz.com (What can I say, they are the reason why your here and not some half brained group)
- www.calcgames.org (nice selection of calc games for many TI calcs)
- www.calcwebzine.com/revsoft (shameless plug, but we have alot of different calc links)
The Revolution is here...
noteventime

Post by noteventime »

Hello and thanks for the fast answers, ok I'l download mirageOS as soon as possible. Thanks for the help.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I think we should enable guest posting in August/September so we dont have to make the people who are olnly going to post 1 time create a name that clutter up the server and never gets used again.
mnc2fan
Extreme Poster

Post by mnc2fan »

That is a really good idea, but that still doesn't stop the one time posters who join thinking this would be a cool site to join. Then they get bored and only post one time and never come back.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

mnc2fan wrote:That is a really good idea, but that still doesn't stop the one time posters who join thinking this would be a cool site to join. Then they get bored and only post one time and never come back.
we should make it where if you havent posted in like idk 5 months you will need to reactivate the account via email. that would make it where they dont have an active acount.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hello noteventime and welcome to MaxCoderz! :).

I recommend going through the ticalc.org archives for games, they have basically every calc game/program ever released. Remeber that the 84+ is compatible with the 83+ (mostly), so any 83+ games *should* work on the 84+.

After you get used to using your calc and have played a few games i hope that you might consider creating your own games one day. Its a neat way to learn about programming and how things work on a low-level.

I hope you can become intereseted enough to stick around the forums a bit and check out some of the cool projects some people have going on her :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."