Irp!-GEE

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Irp!-GEE

Post by DarkAuron »

A map editor made in pure TI-BASIC, ideal for rpg maps. Runs at a pretty decent speed, only problem (that I finally got to) is the extremely long saving and loading times. I might or might not find a workaround for this, but right now the amount of time that it takes to save and load maps is way too long, even on an SE. The actual editing process is great though :roll:

..and It's called Irp!-GEE because it stands for Insane role playing! - Game Environment Editor. It doesn't support events or anything like that, although if theres interest I might do something more with it. Not going to release it until I have decent saving and loading, or at least better.

Annnnd if you're wondering why I'm not working on tankies like I should, it's because I needed something to get me back into programming, and I ended up making this. The screenshot below skips at the beginning because I needed to rush through the blank map generator, otherwise I wouldn't get everything in that I wanted to without calccapture crashing.

Run on ti-83+, 6mhz speed through VTI. Works amazing at 15mhz :)
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

what does it save the maps to?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Custom lists.

Screenshot demonstrating the (odd) tiles I displayed in a quick, small map I made up. Slightly faster than 15mhz because VTI is weird but you get the idea:

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Ah this is that one you told me about. That looks really cool!
gtaforever00

Post by gtaforever00 »

That's pretty cool Dark Auron. I tried doing something like that at one time. But it was so slow I quit on it.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

looks good. are those tiles user-definable or hardcoded?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

They are text, so I bet they are final.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

As in being able to create your own tileset without changing code? Not yet, although I have several ideas on how to make it quite flexible. As in being able to use all 255 characters that the TI-OS has to offer, although for the most part I don't know why you'd use even half of them. Maybe I'd allow for the use of about 100.

Even more so, I could just eliminate the tileset limit per map and allow them all to use all the same tiles, as well as breaking the 10 different tiles per map limit, but that'd double the map size no matter what.

It's pretty iffy; if I allowed more than 10 different tiles per map then there'd be no reason to restrict to less than 100. We'll see, I'm messing around with stuff. Oh, and I came up with a really really fast way to generate new empty maps, something I don't know why I didn't think of before. (D'oh!)
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

do you set what tile each letter stands for then?
cheese=yum
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

No, I think it's like illusiat where the different symbols ARE the tiles? :) Right?
bananas... o.o
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

That's pretty cool DA, looks awsome.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

New map generation is much much much faster now. From the above screenshots those were 20x10 maps; it now takes ~2 seconds to make a 20x10 map at 15mhz, ~5 seconds to make a 50x50 map, and ~12 seconds to make a 80x80 map; however this is untested at 6mhz. This is from creating a new, completely blank map though. As for saving and loading, I still need to work on faster methods for those, as they're still very lengthy. Maybe I could do multi-processing on the lists.. hmm.. (and by that I mean going through 4 elements in the list at once! scary..)

One thing I need to fix (and will help me a LOT in the future) is my multi-string method that I'm undoubtfully not the first to do. If you've ever tried to make a 4-way scroller before but experienced a problem with scrolling being REALLY slow the further you got into the string, why not break the string into smaller strings?

With some smart coding you could make it check the position and if you go past a string's limit, just stop at a point and continue displaying with the other string. This could probably done pretty easily with 4 blocks of similar code, maybe even more complicated and faster optimized code could do it.

Some plans for the editor:
-"Exploration" mode, where you can walk around in the map with a virtual character, no events or map changing included however, as those might end up being hard-coded things.
-Kinda iffy on whether I'll do this or not, but maybe a solid/non solid editor where you can change what you can walk over and what you can't. I might have it hardcoded anyways though. Even if I didn't it'd probably be a global setting so it'd affect all maps. In any case the default I might discuss with you guys on a mass listing of all the tiles.
-Another iffy but more likely: window size modifier so if you wanted the editor to scroll faster at the loss of the viewspace, you could do so.
-Before getting straight into the editor you'd be at a screen where you can change the number of the map you'll be editing and whether you're loading or creating a new one.
-Floodfill for the entire map, if you wanted to make the entire map one tile you could do it with this press of a button. Once you press the button it'll ask if you wish to continue with the action, and if you press Y for Yes, it will. Good when you want to start the map over, fill it with land, or fill it with water, etc.
-And uhh other stuff that I forgot ...

Now if anyone knows of better ways to do this stuff, I'd love to hear some tips! 8)

Oh yeah let's answer some questions and stuff!

katmaster: I don't really understand what you're asking..
spengo: Erm, symbols? You mean the odd characters that represent mathematical stuff? Well, not necessarily.. it depends.
Jim: Thanks, I'll probably be working on this longer than I thought :o

Edit: The best I can get out of pure TI-BASIC is 174 different characters. The remaining 82 are reserved and cannot be used in BASIC unless you use asm. At least, from what I know.

Now as for what the accented letters could be used for.. on the calc Ä kinda looks like a chair, and Î *really* looks like a standing torch. Other ones are questionable..

To get the ASCII file I made that can be used without problems in pure TI-BASIC, get it here (and rename to .8xp if it's .txt because my userspace is being really, really weird) so you can see what it looks like on-calc. Please give me recommendations on which ones I should use and which ones you think have no purpose.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

Is that including the "->" character?
just try to be nice to people.

Post by DarkAuron »

Oh, well.. no. Not the " character either. But I'm figuring out what characters would represent what though.
T0RM3N7
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by T0RM3N7 »

how are you saving the tilemaps as matricies or lists or what?
girls=time*money
time=money
girls=money*money
money is the root of all evil
girls=(evil^1/2)*(evil^1/2)
girls=(evil^1/2)^2
girls=evil