A pretty simple physics problem.

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

133794m3r

A pretty simple physics problem.

Post by 133794m3r »

Ok well here we go it's a relatively simple problem. It took me about six hours to do but after I did the answer seemed so simple. And yes there is an answer.

A man is on a river in a canoe. He is going against the current. There is a bridge up stream of him. When he goes under the bridge the bottle that's sitting on the very front of his boat is knocked off. He continues going for exactly thirty minutes until he realizes that he's lost the bottle. He turns around and catches up with the bottle exactly one mile downstream from where it fell of under the bridge. What is the exact velocity of the water.

(You may use the English system for the problem.)

P.S.
This problem has stumped many mathematicians, if you can't solve don't worry take a few minutes off and come back to it later. I shall revile the answer only after everyone one has chimed in or a week has passed.

P.P.S

The six hours was six complete hours. I found this equation in the book A Biography of Physics .

Code: Select all

010000000 01000001 010000000 0110000010 
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

I assume the man is moving the exact speed of the water meaning he moves nowhere underneath the bridge. Highlight post for the workout and Answer
M = speed of man, W = Speed of water, B = position/distance of the bottle

|M| = |W|, and M + W = 0 {as W is negative}

(0.5hr)W = B

B + 1mi = -M + W {W - M = 2W or -2M}

{exchange B for (0.5hr)W} (0.5hr)W + 1mi = 2W

{subtract (0.5) W from both sides} 1mi = (1.5hr)W

{divide both sides by (1.5hr)} 1mi/(1.5hr) = W

(Highlight for spoiler vvv)
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Hmm, I have a different solution, but I’m notoriously bad at basic maths, so take it with a pinch of salt. :P

v_w - velocity of water
v_m - the relative velocity of man to the water (I’m assuming it is the same in both directions)
p_b - position of bottle (the origin is the bridge, and the water flows in the positive direction)
p_m - position of man

We have three notable moments:
0 s: p_b = p_m = 0
1800 s: p_b = 1800v_w, p_m = 1800(v_w - v_m)
t s (some moment in the future): p_b = 1mi = t*v_w, p_m = 1mi = 1800(v_w - v_m) + (t - 1800)(v_w + v_m)

Let’s look at the equations at time t:

1mi = t*v_w = 1800(v_w - v_m) + (t - 1800)(v_w + v_m)
t*v_w = 1800v_w - 1800v_m + t*v_w + t * v_m - 1800v_w - 1800v_m
0 = t * v_m - 3600 * v_m = (t - 3600)v_m

There are to solutions: either the man is not rowing at all, i.e. v_m is 0, or excluding that, t is 3600 seconds, i.e. the bottle travelled 1 mile in an hour.

Hopefully I didn’t misunderstand anything, because I don’t see anything in this problem that should stump a mathematician. :)
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Isn't this one of those "hard" exercises you do in junior high school?
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

M = speed of man, W = Speed of water, B = position/distance of the bottle in 30 minutes, and T = time of man to retrieve the bottle

|M| = |W|, and M + W = 0 {as W is negative} W - M = 2W

(0.5hr)W = B

B + TW = 1mi

(0.5hr)W + TW = 1mi

WT = 1mi - (0.5hr)W

1mi = (W - M)T

1mi = 2WT {replace WT with 1mi - (0.5hr)W}

1mi = 2mi - (1hr)W {add 2mi to both sides}

-1mi = -(1hr)W

1mi/1hr = W

Therefore W = 1MPH

I made that post just before I went to bed, and as soon as I hit the pillow I went "wait a minute, did I just add the distance of the bottle to the total distance?"

and then I was like "ohwell, I'll figure out in the morning"... and it turns out that I did, :roll:
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
133794m3r

Post by 133794m3r »

Yeah you got it right. Good for you.
Life is filled with,:;
Error: Syntax
1: Quit
2: Goto
*presses 2*
Haha you lose.
What I don't lose.
Any way all should learn through trial and (Syntax, Domain, Range, Undefined, Lbl, Memory, No Sign Change, and your face) Error.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

LOL, I got it wrong, but I ended up with 2mph... probably because I forgot to factor in something...

my idea is because this somehow is a physics problem, the only way for the bottle to get knocked off is if the bottle has a higher velocity then the boat. Bridges accelerate the stream a bit and I assumed that the man went 30 minutes without moving under the bridge. He slowed down, the bottle fell off (inertia) then he went after it.
:lol:
133794m3r

Post by 133794m3r »

Ok I guess that I forgot that woops. Ok the bottle gets knocked off as he goes under it. He I guess hit a pole. That shouldn't matter. I mean there's Vs, As, and time. Thus its physics.
Life is filled with,:;
Error: Syntax
1: Quit
2: Goto
*presses 2*
Haha you lose.
What I don't lose.
Any way all should learn through trial and (Syntax, Domain, Range, Undefined, Lbl, Memory, No Sign Change, and your face) Error.