Largest Lego product ever. Seriously.

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

omg that is cool! I only have 2 motors though :(
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

That's awesome, do you have a video of it solving the cube? :shock:
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Sorry no, I haven't had any video-recording devices, it's partially in bits (my creations were lucky if they lasted more than a day) and it's 180km from where I am now. There's a similar robot on youtube ("lego rubik").

The most interesting thing I did was a mechanical pendulum clock, great fun. Requires no motors, just a long arm and a clever tick-tock mechanism.
Meh, I want all my Technic boxes now :)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

coelurus wrote:The most interesting thing I did was a mechanical pendulum clock, great fun. Requires no motors, just a long arm and a clever tick-tock mechanism.
Heh, I've always had an interest in escapement mechanisms, and seeing how long I could get a clock mechanism to run in Technic. :) My best attempt only runs for about three minutes, though, before winding down. It used one of those elastic band and reel sets from the pull-back-and-go cars to store the energy. I'd be interested to see your design...
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

I used the good-old string-with-weights method as in cuckoo clocks, which gives, uh, "time-independent uniform forces and pressures on the internals". I never figured out a really, really good escapement thingie, they either were too delicate and unreliable or too coarse which let too much string pass by. I gotta build a new one at my parent's around Christmas :)