"cheating" at exams with notes/programs

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

"cheating" at exams with notes/programs

Post by King Harold »

I don't know if everyone knows it, but in the Netherlands atleast, "cheating" at exams with notes/programs is completely 100% absolutely legal. Oh yes, that's right. Even the head of my school verified it.

This is actually not very surprising, seeing as you get no points whatsoever if you only write down the answer on a question without any form of calculation or reason/explanation why it is that answer.

Then what is the purpose of programs? Well, if you have a calculation you get points for the right answer, and if you have the answer the calculation is usually easier.

For the unbelievers: I took my math exams last week, programs were allowed, and no they do not erase your calcs memory (they probably aren't even allowed to).

as far as notes go, there is nothing that you could possibly put in your calcs memory that you need AND is not on either your formula chart or in BiNAS

in america is probably completely different though..
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

they call in the swat team for cheaters...you get a 0 along with some pretty severe punishment where I come from.
I think, therefore iMac
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

I've had teachers go down the columns of desks, and reset everyone's calculator.
The correct thing to do, is to run a TI-Basic program that displays "Mem Cleared" in the correct location, turn down your contrast, then say "I've cleared my calc already." Hell, no teacher is going to delete my Joltima save!
This was way back in the days of the TI83. And if you had Joltima, you had no room for cheating/notes programs anyway, so it's okay to lie.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
calc84maniac

Post by calc84maniac »

Lol, once during a test I finished early and was bored, so I made a program that used xLib that displayed "RAM Cleared" on the graph screen and emulated a cursor blinking, and I said it was already cleared so they didn't clear it afterwards. :D
I didn't really care anyway because I had Omnicalc to Restore RAM...
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

xLIB is an accessory to cheating! ... :).

I believe BrandonW may have created a very realistic fake ram clear program, the release is quite hidden though :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

hm.. I, along with the rest of my friends, had about 21 programs with notes on maths (not that I used them..) but anyway, we had em, and no one said anything.

I said it would be different in America ;)
no offense but I'm glad I live in Europe..

oh and ofcourse I used Symbolic to derive and simplify everything, unfortunately I still had to make some fake-calculations, but I've learned to make quite convincing fakes over the years :)

@tr1p: of course I had xLIB installed :) But it didn't really help me a lot on my math exams

anyway, most people are going to cheat at physics (next week, I forgot which day), except for me, I'll get an 8 without cheating so why bother?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Graphical calculators are only allowed on certain exams here (pure maths = no, stats = yes). They also forbid any calculators capable of storing text (not sure how the 83+ passes in that case). Naturally, the memory has to be cleared.

You are given a book of tables (trig, logarithms, random numbers) and a few formulae, so you could probably get away with using a four-function calculator. :)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

wow I love the netherlands
graphical calcs are not allowed on language exams and philosophy (so they ARE allowed for: maths 1, maths 1+2, physics 1, physics 1+2, biology, chemistry 1, chemistry 1+2 and economy but I dropped that)

I'll 'cheat' at chemistry of course, there is no way I can remember all those formulae without learning.

No mem-clearing :)
jimmothy

Post by jimmothy »

i live in nh (america), i just took the ap calc test and they didnt care that i had symbolic, i also took sat's and they didnt care either. i wonder if they will for the subject tests...
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Colleges in the U.S. are pretty strict. Over here, if you're caught cheating you have to attend a hearing, testify before a committee, witnesses are called, etcetera. It gets real nasty if you're found guilty. 1st offense, you automatically fail the class. Repeat offenses is an automatic expulsion; lose their financial aid, housing, online accounts. Of course every case is a little different.

The most elaborate cheat I've seen was for multiple choice. The cheater would sit behind the informant and tap a pencil to indicate the question number. The informant would rest his hand on one of the 4 desk corners to respond A, B, C, or D. I've heard rumors of cheats involving dental mirrors, PDAs, laser pointers, invisible ink...all kinds of crazy crap.

I...*ahem* of course had no part in said activities. Just the word on the street. :lol:
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

That kind of cheating is illegal here as well, but the consequences aren't by far as severe. At normal tests you'd just get an 1 if you're caught (1 out of 10, like an F).

Storing the contents of your books in your calcs memory isn't illegal though(here atleast), and you hardly need 'conventional cheating' if you can look in your book.
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

the AP calculus exam allows anything to be stored on your calculator, that you'd "normally use in class"

but yeah, cheating is rather frowned upon here.
patz2009

Post by patz2009 »

Semi-necro, but Brandon's Fake clear program is available and can be easily found on his website.

I really have no need for these, though. My teachers don't check the calcs. (even though we're the 40th best HS in the USA)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

even though we're the 40th best HS in the USA
If your teacher would check your calc's the school might lose that place, so maybe they were told not to check them ;)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, back when I was in high school, they always cleared every calculator's memory using another calculator with a link cable. eventually I was able to defeat that, by installing fakeres3 and dislink. dislink prevented them from linking to it and erasing it, and if they tried to do it manually, fakeres3 took care of it.

I didn't do this so I could cheat, I just didn't want to lose the programs I had, save games, and programs I was working on.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image