Calculator Linking in Pure BASIC

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Calculator Linking in Pure BASIC

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I thought it was possible to link between two random calculators using pure BASIC code (which I need to do for a project) and transfer data back and forth. The only way I have managed to get this to work is to have the user have to repeatedly push enter to get out of a pause. Is there some way to get the actual Send()/Get()/GetCalc() functions to work? I know at one time I had a method going where sending data on one would un-pause the other automatically, but I can't seem to get that to work again for some reason.

I am doing all of this testing between an 83+ and an 84+SE, which might have something to do with it. I can deal with the whole pause and un-pause thing, it's just a pain for the end user. Of course using an asm tool would make the thing work great, but for the purpose of this project (Alright, Alright, I'm writing tifreaks link routine for him, so I know how to interface with it) I would really like to not have to.

Thanks for any support.

-thegamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I am not sure, but I think you can put it in a loop (while or repeat that checks for a value to change) and the other retrieve it? If all else fails, use Bell by Timendus :P
Krid

Post by Krid »

kalan_vod wrote:I am not sure, but I think you can put it in a loop (while or repeat that checks for a value to change) and the other retrieve it? If all else fails, use Bell by Timendus :P
Speaking of Bell.. Could someone mirror it? Timendus' site seems to be down.

First post after being regged for over a year! :o

Edit: zOMG it's kalan! ;)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I'd try and contact Timendus. archive.org doesn't have a mirror.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Krid wrote:
kalan_vod wrote:I am not sure, but I think you can put it in a loop (while or repeat that checks for a value to change) and the other retrieve it? If all else fails, use Bell by Timendus :P
Speaking of Bell.. Could someone mirror it? Timendus' site seems to be down.

First post after being regged for over a year! :o

Edit: zOMG it's kalan! ;)
Krid! Give me a shout out when you get a chance (pm or email kalan.rock@gmail.com). I wish I had the file with me, but I think I have it on my pc >.>
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Bell looks really nice and all, but it's an asm library. Um, I don't mean to interrupt the off-topicness or anything, but *ahem* the title? It says BASIC in the title? :roll:

-gamefreak

PS: Still no luck, except when paused.

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

It is impossible, except when paused/idle. And its ofcourse the "sending" calculator which needs to be paused/idle.
How about using Omnicalc's LinkGet/Send?
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

<sigh...> OK fine then, random pressing of enter it is then. I should be able to send entire lists this way though, so I can just do it all in one go. If not, the user will be sitting and pressing enter for a really long time.

I think I might be able to get it to look like it's behaving normally, like the game would. I could simply have it do a data transfer during every one of the screens in-between, where you have to save and such. The "host" machine would be determined simply by the one that managed to get to the screen last. (The other calc would already be paused, so the GET operation would succeed.) It's workable, now that I think about it...

kk, time to try to code this thing then. Wish me luck!

-thegamefreak

Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

This works on a TI83:

Left calc:
Lbl 0
GetCalc(A
Pause
Goto 0

Right calc:
Lbl 0
Pause
GetCalc(A
Goto 0

Run the program on the right calc first. Getcalc wakes up the other calc from Pause mode.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

I want to try that out now...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Aye, but on the newer models this does not happen. Which is a real bummer.

I've used this method in the past, that's how I know it should work. Problem is, if I need the routine to run between various machines, I will need to actually have it be portable across different machines...

I'll see if I can work something up, and I'll post back when I have errors.

-thegamefreak0134

Krid

Post by Krid »

I actually wrote a somewhat decent full-BASIC multiplayer game. Sure, it was just a tag game, but it worked (AND it had bushes where you could hide!). I might as well upload that to ticalc.org, perhaps you'd be interested in seeing the source.

Edit: There, it's submitted :)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:Bell looks really nice and all, but it's an asm library. Um, I don't mean to interrupt the off-topicness or anything, but *ahem* the title? It says BASIC in the title? :roll:
I think they meant to point you towards the basic library thingy that I released that uses CLAP on the CLAP website.
http://clap.timendus.com

And thanks for noticing that my website was down; in fact my entire server had a major screwup some weeks ago (I host my own websites). But almost everything is back up and running now, including the CLAP and BELL websites.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS