Windows Vista

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Windows Vista

Post by CompWiz »

I didn't see a topic for vista, so I started this one. I have a question on the 5728 build that just went up recently. While it only lists the 32 bit version link on microsoft's page, according to other sites the 64 bit version is available at this url: http://download.windowsvista.com/dl/pre ... EN_DVD.iso

How do I get that to download? I've tried clicking on the link, pasting it into the address bar, and even trying it with IE. Does anyone know how to get the 64 bit build? According to MS, this download will only be available for a short time, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to get it. When I try this link, it just downloads a 0 kb file with the name from the link. I'd appreciate any help, as I just got a new hard drive and was hoping to install 64 bit vista on it. I've heard that the new build fixes a lot of things, so, I'm trying to get that.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I clicked the link and it began downloading a 3.6 GB iso to my desktop. Works for me.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Works for me aswell..
If you keep having trouble with it i might be able to get a friend of mine to send it to you on DVD by snail-mail.. maybe..
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, I'll give it another shot when I get home later today. Maybe my university's wireless internet is messing it up. Thanks for the responses. :)

Edit: It worked fine at my house. I guess it was just the university's wireless internet that messed it up. I'll try installing it in a couple hours, once it finishes and I burn it to DVD. Hopefully this will go better than my attempted installation of RC1. It gave me an error after it had been installing for about a half an hour.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

Just make sure you have enough RAM before launching it. 512 MB is basicly the bare minimum, and if you are a gamer, then 1 GB, and if you are heavey gamer, then 2 GBs.
Life is getting better.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

I need more ram.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Well, I've got 2 gigabytes(2x1gig) of GSkill low latency RAM with heatspreaders running in dual channel mode, so I'm good for now. It's proably the reason I'm still using firefox. :lol:

Well, I tried installing vista again, but it gave me the same error. This is crazy. I've tried 4 times with 2 different brand new, top-of-the-line, never-been-used hard drives, both RC1 builds, and 3 different DVD's, all of which had their contents verified after burning. Yet, every single time, after installing for about an hour, vista gives me the following error:
some vole wrote:Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070003
it then says that changes to my computer will not be saved, and sends me back to the beginning screen.

am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I can try? I mean, I could try it on my old P4 computer, but it would take a bit of work to get it up and running again, and I fear it would just tell me the same thing. :frustrated:

I'm going to see if I can get ahold of microsoft tech support. If anyone has a link to information, I'd appreciate it if you could post it.

Edit: after looking through a bunch of microsoft sites, and sending off two messages to them(from two different forms) I finally found the newsgroups for vista, and found that other people were getting the same error. They found that using a different dvd drive solved the problem. Fortunately, I have an old cheap 8x DVD+RW Khypermedia drive that's been sitting around for a while that I can try. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Edit 2.0: Well, it worked. My old Khypermedia drive came through for me. I'm posting right now from Vista, build 5728. It's working great. :)