ticalc.org archive project

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

would you help with a ticalc.org archive project?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 5

elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

ticalc.org archive project

Post by elfprince13 »

I spent all spring talking to Jon Katz about this but he never heard back from any of the other ticalc.org staff, anyway, here was my proposal to him.
do a poll to see who would help in a project over the summer to clean out/screenshot the archives.

this could be implemented by:

1) Create a temporary file icon for UPDATED AND SCREENSHOTTED files.
2) Assign a temporary squad of 15 or so file archivers to process the queue of updated files.
3) Lots of volunteers to download, rate, screenshot and reupload the files with the original author information
4) create a sidebar showing 25 assorted, low rated files to be considered for deletion. after 15 votes, a file with a rating of under 4 should be deleted.

finally,

keep the archives clean. to do this:

1) require files to be screenshotted. maintain a list of active users willing to create screenshots for people who don't have a way to do it themself.
2) require a ticalc.org account to be able to download files. bug people every 2 weeks via email until they rate files that they have downloaded.
3) keep the sidebar showing 25 randomly assorted low rated files.
would you help with this if asked? Im gonna send the staff a link to this poll....
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

defenitly, there are too many things in there that no one downloads anymore.
and all those things without screenshot hardly say what they really are (sometimes i just download then outof curiousity, but this gives them unfair downloads)
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

Sorry, I dont have time.... I load myself up with tons of work to get that knife out of my heart.
So I only have time to check maxcoderz ONCE a day. :(
Life is getting better.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I'd be happy to help out. I'd have no problem running a few games through pindur and getting screenshots for them.

One thing I disagree with though, is requiring an account to download files. All that is doing is making it tougher to get files. If people want to just download a program, they shouldn't have to do registration. If they want to post, rate, or vote, then they need an account. That seems like the best system, and it's already working fine, as far as I can see.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Yeah, we discussed something like this on Cemetech a while ago to try to control the downward spiral of ticalc.org's archive quality, but it turned out nobody really had the time.
Oh, and I agree with Compwiz's second paragraph.
Image Image Image