Does anyone here speak Latin?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Does anyone here speak Latin?

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

The new Super Smash Bros. for the Wii (Super Smash Bros. BRAWL) has a really cool sounding main theme, which you can listen to from their main page. The downside? The lyrics in the song are all in what appears to be latin. It would be particularly awesome to know what those lyrics are in english, but I don't know latin, and my friends that do can only translate it's written form.

LINK: thegamefreak0134.googlepages.com/main_theme.mp3

-gamefreak
Last edited by thegamefreak0134 on Wed 24 May, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

That game certainly looks awesome, as do the new characters (Snake!).

It would be very interesting indeed to find out what the lyrics say.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

i know a bit; link?
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

The file itself is a recording they're going to use as the main theme. (smashbros.com in the music section.) I don't have the actual lyrics written down because I don't know enough to understand them. (by enough, I mean I know none.) I can put a direct link on my site if you need it though.

-thegamefreak

PS: Quick side note, how do I put an image in my sig? (It's funny I promise)

Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

do img]url[/img or something like that...i'll have to listen to the song if/when i get better headphones; theyre cutting out and severely pissing me off
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

hmm, has Nintendo noticed that Latin has long been a dead language? As in, no one speaks it naturally any more?

@thegamefreak0134: Nice picture, and I like the title you gave it. Italian cooking :lol:
I'm not sure why it's not working in your sig. But I do have a tip that will make it a smaller size: put it in png format. It's lossless, yet it decreaces the file size by a lot. You should be able to save it as .png right from ms paint.
Last edited by CompWiz on Wed 24 May, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

I speak (read) it fairly fluently...
Image Image Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

The sig doesn't work, because it's a bmp.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

That theme music thing is awesome. It reminded me of Conquest of Paradise (orchestra music with Latin opera vocals..). Too bad i cant understand the lyrics, even though i do latin in school (i just suck).

I have searched for the lyrics on the internet, but all i found was this =P.

I think its really cool that Nintendo is making high quality orchestrated music for their games. Finally they are understanding that sound is as important, or more important even, than graphics. (too bad the music file is 128kbs mp3.. someone should've told nintendo that mp3s are terrible for orchestrated music).
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I have a few orchestrated tracks from the Ocarina of Time, really awesome stuff.

I dont get what you mean by "Finally they are understanding that sound is as important, or more important even, than graphics.". Nintendo game music is always the best!
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Finally isnt the right word maybe.. A lot of game manufacturers only care about leet graphics. (*cough* EA *cough*). Some of them focus on gameplay too, but sound is just underestimated. Nintendo knows how important it is imho.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

EA's sport games graphics have barely improved at all in the past 5 years..
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I agree with you there leofox, these days some people think that a game only needs leet graphics for it to be awesome. No story, replay value or decent sound.

And EA's sports games have been nearly identical the past few years. Only minor feature additions per year.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Ahh... OK, so .bmp is not good. For the record, I ripped the image directly from the E3 trailer, which is almost as awesome as the music. (I say this because the music cuts off when Wario comes in.)

The director of the game (At least I assume thats what he means on the main site) said something to the effect of wanting to change the entire atmosphere of the game. This would go along with tradition nicely, as the first and second games came accross quite differently. If he's going for a much more legendary feel, then I can see why he would choose latin as the language of choice. However, that aside, I still kinda want to know what it says. Maybe if someone could just write the latin down, it could be put through a translator?

On the whole graphics thinig, I totally agree. I still play old NES games a lot. Not for the graphics of course, but because so many of them had such cool gameplay. Back then is when all the really good games came out because companies were forced to focus on the gameplay, not really having a lot in the way of graphics and sound. (Although nintendo still managed to pull off a mario theme song that remains legend today.) I will likely end up purchacing the nintendo products that come out because I like that they are the only company to stick to this basic rule, while the others (EA included) focus on polygon count. Sad... Seems like the only other system I would go for is the PS3 if they release any more final fantasy...

-thegamefreak

*EDIT* Yay! Pic works now. .bmp it was. Need to shrink it a little though.

*EDIT AGAIN* Yes I know, a little late, but I have a link to the file directly on my google pages site. Here it is: thegamefreak0134.googlepages.com/main_theme.mp3

This will go on post one as well. cheers.

dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I know a fair bit of latin (went through Latin V in high school) so I'll take a listen. Unfortunately, it's rather hard to tell what is being sung without being able to see the words printed out.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"