Which Should i get it?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Shuffle, h10, or sen micro

Ipod Shuffle
11%
Zen Micro
67%
H10
22%

Total votes: 9

currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Apple really pushes it with their marketing. They are even being as dirty as Microsoft. Y'know their TV ads are saying stuff like "From the makers of the iPod" to sell more Apples. It has worked, but it is downright nasty.
I would refrain from memory players. You'll get a better value per megabyte with hard drive players.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah... on HD players music is just buffered into RAM, which is essentially the same system as a CD player anti-shock, but has nothing to do with that... you can shake an HD player as much as you want and it'll never skip- unless you damage it, which is very likely! I dropped my old mp3 CD player several times but it lasted me over 2 years. I'll never drop my 20 gig archos, I keep it in it's case attached to my belt and always just use the remote.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

LOL HDDs dont skip. That's crazy talk. That would be like saying hard drive data can be lost when you turn over your hard drive upside down :D
The only thing bad about a hard drive is, as dysfunction said, is that it's accident prone. The head is so precise that just a drop from 4-6 feet would literally kill performance or kill it completely
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Umm, hard drives do skip. It's not that you'd lose much (if any) data, it's that they have to re-seek... Same principle as portable CD players.
ImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

It doesn't matter if it skips or not (so long as you don't break it), because you have to buffer anything you're doing into ram anyways. The 8 mb on my Archos buffers over 5 minutes of a song at 192 kbps, so it could never skip.
On a related note, I once dropped my RCA mp3-cd player with 480-second anti-skip. It continued playing just fine, so I picked it up and continued to listen to the remaining four minutes of my song. When the song ended, it didnt go top the next track: instead it said NO DISC! I opened it up, and it turned out he disc had popped off the spindle, yet it had continued playing like nothing happened for the remainder of the song!

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

dysfunction wrote:It doesn't matter if it skips or not (so long as you don't break it), because you have to buffer anything you're doing into ram anyways. The 8 mb on my Archos buffers over 5 minutes of a song at 192 kbps, so it could never skip.
On a related note, I once dropped my RCA mp3-cd player with 480-second anti-skip. It continued playing just fine, so I picked it up and continued to listen to the remaining four minutes of my song. When the song ended, it didnt go top the next track: instead it said NO DISC! I opened it up, and it turned out he disc had popped off the spindle, yet it had continued playing like nothing happened for the remainder of the song!
My mobile phone does the same: the songs are on a 256 MB SD Card, if i take the SD card out, the song keeps playing till the end, and then says "file not found"
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Well, if you're looking for lots of space go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... n=13873631

If you want a Iriver get this-http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... n=13873631

It has 20 gigs for 20$ more!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

umm i already got one and i dont need anymore advice now thanks anyway 8)