Chips: kalan_vods' challenge

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Chips: kalan_vods' challenge

Post by kalan_vod »

I haven't seen anything about jeds in some time so I thought I just try at it.
This was a attempt at it and is on hold atm for no reason. It shows how you have the arrows move you around and that the maps can be as big as the memory on your calc will allow :D, also thats water in there :(, looks pretty weak, no enimes are planed atm for this as I may not work with this for a little while. I cloned the first two levels from chips challenge, but without ai.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

looks coolz!! again, xLIB?
cheese=yum
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yes this is also with xlib.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

So, I'm guessing that there will be no smooth scrolling? Well, it does look great, even without that. I hope this goes well. I'll be looking forward to getting it when you finish. :D I think I remember reading about this project on some forum months ago. At least it was a discussion about some chip's challenge game.

Just curious, does xlib even support smooth scrolling? :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yes xlib can, but it would be slow. In the orignal chips game it isn't smooth scrolling its tile jumping, lack of better words...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

so the original chips challenge scrolled by tile? I played it so long ago I don't remember. Would xlib support tile-by-tile scrolling at reasonable speeds?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

http://takegame.com/arcade/htm/chipschallenge.htm
Free dl of chips, and yes xlib does fast scrolling tile by tile.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, with or without scrolling, it looks as if this could shape up to be a great game.

Dibs on beta testing! :twisted:
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Update [01/20/06]:
Thanks for showing intrest in this project, you know who you are.

Things added since last update:
-Just a few optimizations of code here and there.

Things to be added:
-A lot more levels.
-Ports of the orignal levels.
-Maybe some AI here and there.
-Make the levels in chapters, where 1-25 are in level set 1 and 26-50 are in two etc.

I hope to have at least the first 25 levels ported with the first release. Check out my site for more project updates.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I guess there isn't much intrest for this game on this board, but I will post the update anyway...

Update [01/26/06]:
Since I have finished my secret project as of Sunday, I have been programming this game and as well a few other secret projects :P.

-Lots of optimizations, around 450b saved.
-Went from 9 programs to 7 programs (I will have them down to at least 5 before release, it's just easier to add subprograms right now instead of merging them.
-Completed the level editor and plan on releasing it to the public only with the release of the first version (sorry for those who want to make levels for the game, but I will not let people do some until I have at least 25 levels ported).
-Corrected the moving on the ice bug.
-Increased the engines speed by changing it up a little.
-Only one level was added since last update, due to having some other obligations.

Things to be added:
-Work on the readme.
-A lot more levels.
-Ports of the original levels.
-Make the levels in chapters, where 1-25 are in level set 1 and 26-50 are in two etc.
-More functions will have to be added, such as when you walk onto a button that will move stuff out of your way (tanks).
-One more function needs to be added where you move a block and it has fire underneath it, which I have the plans for.
-Fix the code for moving blocks where you can't merge blocks together.

Soon I will have a list of levels which have been ported from the original. One thing I would like to point out is that I have made changes to some or the ported levels. The reasons behind this is so I can save more space, ie I had a level where you used 4 8x12 maps linked and only 3 of the maps were used. Check out my site for more project updates.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Small projects doesn't get a lot of attention... it's just the way it is... Neither do I with Slippy... It's hard to stay motivated that way, I know. But I really hope you finish it... I once made a small chip-demo in ASM, which then resulted in Indiana Jones... I might pick that one up sometime in the future :) Good luck!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I remember looking at your plan file and seeing that, and I thought it was one of the coolest games in development! I hope you get around to finishing slippy, and indiana jones. I also saw kozaks game with the turrent shooting, I think it was called paratrooper? I really hope he finishes that also.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Update [01/30/06]:
Not too big of an update, yet it is.

-A few optimizations, around 350b saved.
-Just 4 levels were added, which came ported from the original.
-A routine where you have blocks which look the same, but when you walk into it they will either turn solid or empty.
-A routine where you have a circle, that when you step onto it turns into a solid block that will not let you pass through (when you walk onto it they turn into a solid block and you have the option of moving back or keep going as you are still on top of the spot the block occupies).
-Add a HUD then figured it was too slow, so I got rid of it. But yet again I thought a HUD would become useful so I added a HUD which was faster and more information can be found in it (the 1st one only showed the chips left and the level you were on and it only showed if you had 9 chips, but if you had 10 or more it just showed a + and the same for levels). Now with the new HUD you get the level you are on (will show up to 2 digit numbers 1-99) and chips being the same way. And not to mention how it show which keys you have :P).
-Ok I added a new function that allows you to see the tiles next to you (up to two tiles). What I mean is that if you can't see what's in the next screen you press second and then the arrows in the direction you would like to see (kind of like in block dude). After I added that I had a bug where you could get an out of bounds error by going too far, but now I fixed it!
-I added where you would just press +/- to change levels at will, but thought/was told it would become to easy that way. So I added a menu which lets you set the HUD on/off, continue playing, quit, and now enter a code to a level which is higher than the one your on (you are on level 1 and want to be on level 12 so you type "12" and then it prompts for a pass which will be a 2 digit code (for now it is, but I plan on making it more advanced) and then it take you to the level you entered, if the code was correct! And if you wish to go back to a level which is < the level you are on it will just let you).

Things to be added:
-Work on the readme.
-A lot more levels.
-Ports of the original levels.
-More functions will have to be added, such as when you walk onto a button that will move stuff out of your way (tanks).
-Fix the code for moving blocks where you can't merge blocks together.

I have a dilemma where it is becoming incredibly slow (the game), because I have just a few subprograms packed into on. So I think I am going to have more subprograms (split the ones into there separate ones). Check out my site for more project updates. I might have a ss of this later this week.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Why is it becoming slow?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Well I keep it with the smallest amount of programs as possible, but when I added a few routines here and there it made the subprograms longer which unless I do some Ifs x=x:return it just runs through the whole subprogram. But I have a fix for it, I was looking over the code and found some things I could inprove on.