Need Sprites for a new kind of shoot them up

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

ice planet = Hoth. Great battle in one of the original Rogue Squadron games.
Image Image Image
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

Hoth, the game I'm trying to explain has a level on that too... I'm going to my grandparents house today, and they have the game so I should be able to tell the name.
kuda

Post by kuda »

Ok, I think I begin to understand your idea... I may try to make it for certain levels, why not ( And the last levels, when you should destroy the dark star, you will have to pass through the dark star, in a small tunnel, it may be a dodging level, fo exemple, you have t shoot a button to open a small trap and pass through it...) But the main idea is still to make a shoot'hem up... I was also considerating the idea of double or quadruple laser, but as a powerup... I may code a bit this week end... Please everyones, send some starwars sprites !!!
+---------------------------+
|__THANK _YOU FOR__|
|__USING FAST RPL___|
|_____________Done |
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

oh, I FINALLY found the game, it's called rebel assault (the first one) and has a pretty nice story line with it.

http://www.swgamer.com/screen_ra.shtml

look at the above link to see pictures corresponding to the following info

basicly you start out in training first level is beggars canyon and you're in that odd looking, tri winged fighter, you fly though basicly a obstical course in a caynon. This would be easy as all you'ld have to do is make one heck of a long course and then just place some part of it as the part that would set off the "strike zone" causing you to lose health.

next you have an overhead view of the fighter and go though another caynon with obsticals but this time there's droids to hit. The screen is always moving down on this one, so, it'd be just like making any RPG, the reticles are at a fixed point in space.

after this you go to another, harder obsitcal course on some god forsaken planet with these giant quarts chrystals you've got to dodge around, it's through another caynon, like the first one, but harder, also you're in an A wing ( x-wing would work too)

You're in an the asteroid belt now, I'm sure you get how to do this part.

once you've made it though the next level is a star destroyer, this one you have a set course to go around, around a side, around the other (the thin parts with all the turets) then over the bridge where the whole goal of the level is to destroy the two big domes (sheilds) then, you get one run with torpedos at the main bridge for a chance to rack up some good points. after each side you do some spiraling though space destroying some TIE's This level shouldn't be too hard to make

Back to tattoine, you're in an Xwing now, (or if you simplify, you're always in the Xwing) You go to say hi to your friend in the beggars caynon control tower and, what do you know, just before you arive the empire's taken over and they're killed, it's back though that trench again, fortunatly it's the exact same as before, just you have a few tie's that drop in

you reach the end and mos Eisley is being destroyed, here you just swerve around the level trying to pick of as many of the empire's machines as possible, this is just a point racking level, very simple, and little collision detection here.

Boo, hoo, the rebel's base has been destroyed, so, it's off to Hoth for us, you're in a snow speeder now, this time it's a programed (evey level is programmed, what'm I talking about?) course around the AT ST's (big four walkers) it's got health and you take it off by shooting up the armor to 10 percent, armor is any "face" (like as in cubes, "faces") that's flat, yes even the neck pieces and butt, not the feet though, so, you have to shoot almost EVERY INCH 3 times to take it down. once it's health gets to 10 or 20% I think it just automaticly degrades and you've finished the level collision detection is only needed in the legs and head. (which you go under and though)

now you go though a cave in hoth, very confusing, and every wrong turn keeps you in a loop back to where you were (which has a few split offs too) this level has the walls and some droids to dogde (those floating ones) really annoying I hated this level, but, it's part of the game...

Your brain is about to quit as you come out of the cave, now, you're shot down and must fight yourself though a base with more choices, wrong choices make you lose a life ( you get surronded) this one you get to shoot storm troopers a plenty with your trusty non-runno-outo-ammo gun. It's a refreshing change from being cramped in that ship.

Great, you make it though and find an impounded Xwing, off you fly to Endor for the DEATH star battle. You arrive on the surface and find you must destroy this gigantic gun emplacement before going into the final trench, this thing is basicly a gigantic pole shoved way into this pit in the deathstar with a bit of flying space around it. so, you bust all the sheilds around the space and dive in, there's these little power regulators in this cylindrical tunnel that you must destroy, so, after a few passes, and a few passes you destroy them all after circiling all around the gun emplacement's space that surronds it's sole supporting shaft.

You now go though the very familiar trench and start torching all the turbolazer towers and ties you can find as well as some little sheild generator beam things, if you don't destroy them all you get hurt
you get a nice cinema of darth coming in and han saving the day, wow, it's time for the final shot, which, isn't all that hard, but, it sure relieves some stress to have one easier shot. poof, the DEATH star explodes and the game is over, you get points and high scores/all that stuff.

FOR THE HEALTH being shot hurts you 2 bars (you have 20) hitting a wall hurts 3, and missing an TIE and they pass by hurts 2. You regain health every 5 seconds (one bar) When you get to the last five you get this really annoying warning sign to flash and kill you faster 8)

how does that sound KUDA?[/img]
kuda

Post by kuda »

OK, that sound great, but i'm not sure to be able to make such a game...
As Y said, the engine of my game isn't a 3D engine !!! All enemys are at the same constant distance etc... and it would be to slow to make it in 3D in fastRPL... More over, when asteroid comes closer to you, it need a stretching routine, which isn't in fast RPL, and which would really slow...
And I still doesn't know how I could make enemy shoot you some times...

kuda
+---------------------------+
|__THANK _YOU FOR__|
|__USING FAST RPL___|
|_____________Done |
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I played both Rebel Assualt 1 and 2 to death. They were great games and i have often thought about how it would fair on-calc.

I think that you should just make it how you were to begin with, it looks like it will be a fun shooter :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

tr1p1ea wrote:I played both Rebel Assualt 1 and 2 to death. They were great games and i have often thought about how it would fair on-calc.

I think that you should just make it how you were to begin with, it looks like it will be a fun shooter :).
I agree, the first screen shot looks really good and if that's what you want to do then do it.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

heh, whatever he wants to do, I'm just chunking ideas, I don't know how RPL runs, and it's abilitys so...

what I was thinking was, someone (like me) would spend a few hours and DRAW the whole friggin "cinema" then, you just make some invisible sprites to that would be coded to move to certain positions with each slide of the animation (like that gocart stay-on-the-road type thing, just really spiffed up so it doesn't LOOk like that) some of the levels would, infact use your "alien invasion" (that's what it'll be like right?) engine with the enemys moving on pre-determined paths, which, if you don't make the assault type game, would be fun anyways.