I... finally... got... internet!!!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Jim e wrote:5mbit down for me, though it's more like 4mbit. What really kills me is the 384kbit up, that's a real pain. I can't imagine going back to dial up ever again.

Wasn't there some company offering 50mbit down in america for residential use.
I have the same connection results as you, ISP: Cox.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'm stuck with 768/128... my friend has the same provider but pays twice as much and gets 3mbits/768kbits...

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Mine works at about 4mbit/sec. I really don't see what you'd need 100 for.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

CompWiz wrote:Mine works at about 4mbit/sec. I really don't see what you'd need 100 for.
Y?!?!?! 2 PWN J00!!!11!!!!two!!
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

DSL! :twisted: None of that dedicate-most-of-the-bandwidth-to-dling crap and it's cheaper. :P The only disadvantage I have using my DSL to my friends with Cable is that really big downloads take an extra few minutes. It doesn't affect online gaming ping in the slightest. Heck, I get better ping than cable users a lot of the time.

There also the location thing- I have never ever had a problem with my DSL, but one of my friends who lives in a different area with DSL--his keeps on quitting and is made of crap. Same goes for cable 'cause I have a friend whose cable dies at least once a week for anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple days, and I also have a friend who's never had a problem with it. It seems like it's kind of a hit and miss type of affair as far as whether you get better DSL where you live or better cable. :P
bananas... o.o
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Jim e wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Mine works at about 4mbit/sec. I really don't see what you'd need 100 for.
Y?!?!?! 2 PWN J00!!!11!!!!two!!
So, your paying how much a month more than I am, and recieving how much benifit from that? I don't really have any issue with the speed. Downloads are fast, surfing is fast, MMO's run great, reliability is perfect. Seems like you're getting the short end of the stick. It's like buying a dual core AMD computer with SLI 7800's and then giving it to your grandparents who use it for word processing and a little web surfing. waste of money.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

hmm... my upload sucks. I only get 128kbit....
Last edited by Patori on Thu 05 Jan, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

CompWiz wrote:So, your paying how much a month more than I am, and recieving how much benifit from that? I don't really have any issue with the speed. Downloads are fast, surfing is fast, MMO's run great, reliability is perfect. Seems like you're getting the short end of the stick. It's like buying a dual core AMD computer with SLI 7800's and then giving it to your grandparents who use it for word processing and a little web surfing. waste of money.
Are you comparing me to grandparents? I'm a little more computer literate than that. :wink:
But for cost it depends on where you live, some places get 50mbit for $30, Compare to what I've got thats dreamy.... But I practically live in mexico so all I have access to is RR and satellite.
hmm... my upload sucks. I only get 128mbit....
Slaps pat for having 128mbit. :twisted:
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Jim e wrote:
CompWiz wrote:So, your paying how much a month more than I am, and recieving how much benifit from that? I don't really have any issue with the speed. Downloads are fast, surfing is fast, MMO's run great, reliability is perfect. Seems like you're getting the short end of the stick. It's like buying a dual core AMD computer with SLI 7800's and then giving it to your grandparents who use it for word processing and a little web surfing. waste of money.
Are you comparing me to grandparents? I'm a little more computer literate than that. :wink:
so, you're usually using most of that connection up? If not, then you are like the grandparents in this example.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Patori wrote:hmm... my upload sucks. I only get 128mbit....
You mean kbit.
ImageImage
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

yes, i do. sorry! ^^ now it makes since why jim e slapped me...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

LOL :P
The connection comes with the rent, and it's somewhere around €10,- a month ;) And it does benefit me, because I can easily run my own servers for whatever purpose in my own room. Who of you can broadcast multiple videostreams without any noticeable lag in your connection? :mrgreen:
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Hey don't neglect Asia too, I don't know the specs of my aunt's apartment internet service (since 50% of everyone here has broadband, most Apartment complexes provide it and is charged as a "utility"). I usually get a 4MB/s-2MB/s download speed. But only a 32KB/s upload :?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Timendus wrote:
kv83 wrote:On other news, I got since yesterday my 20Mbit internet service :D
Nice :)
I have 100Mbit at home, 3Mbit at my parent's place.
SURFnet doesn't count... it's so limited :)
So, your paying how much a month more than I am, and recieving how much benifit from that?
I pay 25 euro p/m... And I download much much faster than you... suck on that 8) ....shhh... shh... what do I hear there? jealous? :lol:
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I pay around 45 euros per month, and only download at 1 Mbit (and upload at 128 kbit)... Isn't telecom monopoly wonderful? :roll: