32KB RAM on 84+SE???

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Dwedit wrote:The TI83+SE's ram is already upgraded, I think to 128k. It's just that nobody has used it yet.
Then one day I'll write an RPG as good as Desolate or The Verdante Forest and I'll make sure it maxs out RAM.
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Like I said in another thread, I think that there is a 3rd party OS being made(no recent progress though) that will let you use a lot more of the ram. Apparently 3-d party OS's hit a snag when TI sent a letter to someone working on one saying that he was using their code and that they might persue legal action.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Ouch...

Still, 8k of executable can't be that bad. If I use Ion, at least i don't have to include my own sprite routines. Darn! the modified AND version? Does anybody know if the original IonPutsprite is OR or XOR?

And what's the executable limit on an 89ti?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

It's xor, but if you get the source, you can change it to whatever you want and call your modified version.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

The only disadvantage is now it is taking up space in you 8k of executable. But wait, doesn't Kingma's Package store in saferam? Technically it won't take up space in the 8k will it?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

You can write to saferam all you want, but only for things you can figure out dynamically. You can't move a sprite to saferam and expect to save room, because the map's in the program (unless you are loading it from outside or generating it somehow). Also, I know the 8k limit can be broken, I had a nostub joltima, and I think that game breaks 20k.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

The 8KB only applies to code. You can have as much data as you want.
ImageImage
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

wow...that is cool. Too bad there is no way to increases user memory by a page or two
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

What exactly is paging? Like paging memory?
Image Image Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

CompWiz wrote:Like I said in another thread, I think that there is a 3rd party OS being made(no recent progress though) that will let you use a lot more of the ram. Apparently 3-d party OS's hit a snag when TI sent a letter to someone working on one saying that he was using their code and that they might persue legal action.
Michael Vincent was making an OS for the TI-83+. Last time I checked, the email didn't really stop him. TI said he couldn't disassemble parts of their OS to include in his OS, which they thought he was doing.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

threefingeredguy wrote:You can write to saferam all you want, but only for things you can figure out dynamically. You can't move a sprite to saferam and expect to save room, because the map's in the program (unless you are loading it from outside or generating it somehow). Also, I know the 8k limit can be broken, I had a nostub joltima, and I think that game breaks 20k.
So you could load the ION library and simple routines like rotate that sprite into saferam? How would you go about doing that?
Image Image Image
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Why doesn't ti create OS updates to allow use of the addition ram instead of trying to threaten some one doing it them self?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

calcul831415 wrote:
threefingeredguy wrote:You can write to saferam all you want, but only for things you can figure out dynamically. You can't move a sprite to saferam and expect to save room, because the map's in the program (unless you are loading it from outside or generating it somehow). Also, I know the 8k limit can be broken, I had a nostub joltima, and I think that game breaks 20k.
So you could load the ION library and simple routines like rotate that sprite into saferam? How would you go about doing that?
Running program A puts them all into ram then displays your programs and yadda yadda yadda. They're still there when you quit, too. Eventually they are overwritten by other programs.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that TI has a government sanctioned monopoly on educational calculators, which obviously includes graphing calculators.

The government allows them to have this monopoly so long as their products remain "educational." That means their graphing calcs will not become a distraction during classes. That is why you can't have a powerful PDA like device for a graphing calc. It's not "educational."

I guess TI figured the only way to prevent tons of in-class gaming was to limit the executable size of non-application programs. That way games can't be too big or complex unless they approve it in App form.

This surprises me however, because now that anybody can freely make Apps, why don't they change it for normal programs? It seems rather odd to me.
Image Image Image
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

necro wrote:Why doesn't ti create OS updates to allow use of the addition ram instead of trying to threaten some one doing it them self?
That would break backwards compatibility and is MUCH harder than it sounds.
ImageImage