[SHATTERED OASIS] Oh gosh, not again...

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

[SHATTERED OASIS] Oh gosh, not again...

Post by BetaSword »

First off: SO for calc? Dead. Staked, if you will. Unless for some reason I randomly decide to do it again.

Now, continuing on... Basically, while the calc game is basically dead, I'd rather not let Shattered Oasis as a whole die. Now, there are many different ways that I could theoretically bring it the justice I had originally hoped. They are as follows:

1. Finish the novelization. Indeed, SO started as a story. Longest one I'd ever written, too. I never finished it, though.

2. RPGMaker2003 it. Indeed, just take what I had and use RPGM2K3 to do it.

3. PocketRPGMaker it. Advantage: I can work on it whenever, whereever, plus it can be played on PC or Pocket PC. Disadvantage: PRPGM isn't released yet.

4. DooM it. Indeed, turn it into a Doom (specifically, GZDoom) mod. Advantage to this is that I already have an entire shell city just laying around, waiting to be used. Throw in some detail, some people, stuff in all 70+ houses (plus underground tunnels), and I'd have a full hub city, ready and waiting for more areas to be made, turning it into a Morrowind-esque experience.

So yeah. Comments? Suggestions? Gripes? All out flames? I'm open to all.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I guess im not the only one who is diappointed to see this not headed to a calc.

However the way in which SO unfolds should be up to you. It is your creation after all :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I agree with Pat, its you disicion and although I would love to see this on calc I can understand that you want it to be a bigger project :(.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Yeah, I agree with tr1p; I wish you'd make the calc version, but it's your project.
cheese=yum
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Rofl, I picked calc, and saw that just about everyone else also picked calc! :lol:
bananas... o.o
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

a word on novelization: I'd like to read a book. But please make the game first
Image Image Image
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Wow. Lotsa people want a calc version. Damn. Erm...

Well... Umm... Hmm... Well... In theory, I guess I could do it... Although I don't know what I'd do about battles... That's what always got me.., I mean, I could in theory do an adventure-type game instead... But still... I mean, I always did have a semi-decent walk engine... But I think if I made it only an adventure game, I'd probably want it to be better and all, and if possible, be in ASM instead... Unfortunately, I don't know ASM, and have no way of even coding it while not on the computer... Oy... I'd also probably wanna use greyscale... Only one shade'd be needed, so it'd be black, white, and grey... But yeah.

Basically, if anyone has knowledge of a good, easy to use ASM coding programmy thing, some tutorials, and possibly some good mapping routines... Then I may consider calc again. Or make a crappy Basic adventure-type game.

Oh, I don't know. I do know I'm likely making it into a Doom mod anyways, though.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Why not use xLib? It's made by your staffmate and it increases BASIC powers to ASM. I would also love to see this game made with xLib.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Also you still can use white with single color gs.
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Well, xLIB is a possibility... But I haven't quite been keeping up with it, so I'll have to see what it can do.

Now, to find my graph link thingy...

Edit: Just looked through the features of xLIB. Well I'll be damned. Methinks I'm gonna have to try it out, if I can find my graph link and if .06b is released soon. It definitely looks worthwhile, and could quite possibly be the thing to breathe some much needed life into SO.

Not to mention, as Lexus Alyus put it: You can't leave the community without leaving something behind.
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Sorry for the double post, but hey, it's important. Ish.

So I found the graph link. *much rejoicing* Which means, in theory, I can work on SO some more.

But what else does it mean, you ask? Simple. I can show that I'm not a lazy bastard, and effing release stuff, like I said I would long long ago.
me, April 5th wrote:Wow... Anyways, little bit of info...

I've decided to make this my last attempt at this game. If for some reason I'm unable to finish it this time, due to any reason at all, I'm just going to release it, as is, along with everything related to it, including past versions, and everything. So at least there will be some work out there... And hey, maybe then someone else could get bored and finish it in whatever way they choose. Who knows.

Let's just hope it doesn't come down to that.
So yeah. Here ya go: http://rapidshare.de/files/8265746/Shat ... s.zip.html

If anyone knows of any better place to upload files or anything, do tell.

Oh, a few notes about that little thing:
First off, some of the programs? Psh, I can't even remember what they were for. I do know that you can archive/delete EBATTLE (only started it, I think it just draws the basic screen), ERMBLD2 (I believe I was testing an alternate room building method), and EROOMSB (I believe I was testing an alternate room storing method). Basically, to run it, start program ERMCHSE, give 1 for the room, and 4 for both the starting coordinates. That puts you in the middle of the starting room.

Controls:
Direction buttons move, 2nd examines and continues text when the cursor is showing, and Mode while text is going cancels the text output, letting you press 2nd to continue it along.

The pictures: Some are just little test things, one has battle graphics, one has a single player sprite, and one is a mock-up of a Tales of the World-type encyclopedia screen. Feel free to delete those. Pics 2, 3, 7, and 9 are required, though. So keep those. Otherwise it'll DIE.

Yeah, that's basically it. I should probably post something about this up in the news on the front page, so that more people know that I'm not entirely dead, but keep in mind that this little thing is really more of a tech demo than anything.

Oh, and I should probably add that you'll need OmniCalc 1.25 for this.

Oh... I can't wait to try out xLIB...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

BetaSword Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:54 pm wrote:Damn you to hell! AUGH!! Heart... Not... Responding...

*death*
Look at that; you died, and less than an hour later, we actually get a demo. Will we see more progress now that you don't have a life? :lol:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Who says I had a life to begin with, though?

:wink:
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Could you make a screenshot of the game in action?:)
If anyone knows of any better place to upload files or anything, do tell.
savefile.com
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

sitesled.com is my personal favorite right now. Free, 100MB space, unlimited bandwidth, and no obligations other than to make a webpage for youself and host it there. :P
bananas... o.o