How about THIS......

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

MissingIntellect wrote:The 8.8k size limitation is a hardware limitation in the calculator; it is impossible to get around, thus no shell would not have the limitation.
It's been established that it isn't really a hard limit.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

DarkerLine wrote:NimbusOS can run nostub 8)
yes it can, but the final version will not show nostub programs in the list by default. To use them, you have to go into the options and change the nostub asm programs option.

Why is this such an issue? Ion programs are much easier for the user to play. You don't have to worry about whether it's archived or not, and you don't need to go into the catalog and grab the asm command. Bejeweled will not use as much speed as you will have available anyway. Look at Acelgoyobis and Gemeni. They are some of the most speed-demanding programs for the calc, and they are ION. Look how fast Acelgoyobis runs. Bejeweled will need a lot less speed than that. Also, it probably will not take up all that much space. This discussion is, in my oppinion, pointless. There is no reason for you not to go with an ION program. There is plenty of speed, and space isn't even an issue for a game this simple(even so, Ion programs can use a lot more space). In fact, you could even make this in xlib with plenty of speed. I would still say Ion is best, though.

Lets just get onto making it.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

CoBB wrote:
MissingIntellect wrote:The 8.8k size limitation is a hardware limitation in the calculator; it is impossible to get around, thus no shell would not have the limitation.
It's been established that it isn't really a hard limit.
What do you mean?
CompWiz wrote:
yes it can, but the final version will not show nostub programs in the list by default. To use them, you have to go into the options and change the nostub asm programs option.
Who knows what the default option will be? Besides, that doesn't really matter to anyone who isn't so stupid they can't find the options menu.
They are some of the most speed-demanding programs for the calc, and they are ION. Look how fast Acelgoyobis runs.
I don't really think that has a lot to do with it being written for Ion, just superb coding on CoBB's part.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I don't see any reason to not make it for Ion (or, for that matter, Mirage).
just try to be nice to people.

Post by CompWiz »

DarkerLine wrote:
CompWiz wrote:
Who knows what the default option will be?
Actually, I do know what the default will be.
David wrote:
bananaman wrote:I haven't found any bugs so far, but I definately agree with the basic programs not being shown unless you want them too.
I suggest to make the choice of showing all basic programs, only ones starting with :: and showing none.
I say that's a good point. We will add something like this to the options screen:
1. Display unsupported progs (Default: off)
2. Display nostub asm progs (Default: off)
And most people who play games know little of options menus and, if they aren't using nimbusOS(it is still in request only beta testing. I had to ask for it to get it. VERY few people have it. And even when it comes out, most people will not switch), then their OS probably doesn't support it. Do you really want to have to go through the options menu every time you use it to archive it, then when you are done, rearchive it? Also, you have to find it in the programs list, after selecting asm(. Very inconvenient. Ion programs are much easier to use, and will allow a much larger audience to play them. This game does not need much speed at all. It doesn't even need to scroll. I don't see why there is a big debate about speed. What other game has not had an Ion version because it needs more speed? If wolfenstien, gemeni, lotus turbo challenge, acelgoyobis, metroid, and zelda(that has 8 way smooth scrolling with grayscale. And you think that this simple little game will need more speed than those games do?!?)can use Ion, then something as simple as this really requires very little speed in comparison. What is this big debate for? The fact is, you really don't need very much speed at all. Ion will not limit the speed of this game. User input, or a programmed delay will. There is really no benifit for using nostub(that this game could possibly use), and several problems with using nostub.

For making this game with nostub:
pros:
none

cons:
not supported by major OS's
very tedius to open
size limit(this probably wouldn't affect it, but who knows)
many people will not know how to run it
crashes could delete program
crashes can clear ram(CrunchyOS stops RAM from getting cleared, even after a crash)
fewer people would use it

why would you want to use nostub?
Last edited by CompWiz on Thu 24 Nov, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Ion is really the way to go. I myself prefere to use Mirage due to the large number of RAM clears I get when using ASM(my graphics driver is broken and often cause instability). Most people (aka. not calc freaks :)) prefere to use Mirage as well because it's much simpler and easier for the common person to use. What's easier, holding On+Apps and selecting any game (Basic, Ion, and Mirage), or installing Ion, hitting prgms and running prgmA? In my opinion, Mirage is WAY better.
cheese=yum
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

DarkerLine wrote:What do you mean?
It is a software limit that can be disabled by having a custom OS, or tricking the current one into releasing execution protection on ram bank 0. Actually all the plus OS's do execute a bit of code on that bank while booting, they protect it only afterwards.