Good Guitar Buy?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Hey, you may want some effects to go with that amp!
Instead of buying lots of expensive stompboxes, I reccoment the following:
http://www.digitech.com/products/rp300a.htm

Yes, it's expensive compared to your amp, but trust me. That thing has programmable effects and never gets old! (I recommend the SynthTalk one)
I think, therefore iMac
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Um, he's kind of a beginner, I think a traditional amp would be better for his purposes.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Hmm, I will go get a new used amp today maybee, but it wont be one like that! :(
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Good, that's not really something you want to use as a practice/gigging amp, that's more for recording and such.

anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I understand your point, but it provides a nice sandbox for creating and using effects. Defenently not for recording purposes, though! More of a "press this button and see what happens" deal.
He should just keep it simple in the beginning, though. Light distortion here and there should do the trick.

Hey, a quick question: what kind of electric strings would you recommend?
I have some Fender Silver Bullets (.11's that are killing my fingers). I'm used to the nylon strings on my classical guitar. Any suggestions?
I think, therefore iMac
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Well, what kind of electric do you have? I swear by Gibson strings for my Epiphone Les Paul. D'Addario strings are pretty good as well. Actually, I love Fender strings, for that matter. Well, try getting new strings, then try lowering the action on your guitar.

Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

What about plugging it into a laptop/desktop computer instead of an amplifier?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Arcane Wizard wrote:What about plugging it into a laptop/desktop computer instead of an amplifier?
Well isn't that just a way of recording? well even if I did that where can I get the plug?
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

I got a plug like that at Radio Shack. Ask for an Instrument Cable to Headphone Jack adapter (I forgot the dimensions). There are also some awesome sound processors you can get for free.

Nice guitar you got there... It looks much like the one I have (Fender Strat, mexican though :( ).
I also have a dreadnought Kay (cheap brand) Acoustic-Electric I bought off eBay for like $60 (it's worth $200). I'm planning on selling that and buying a classical.
For effects, I've got the sucky built-in distortion on my training amp and a Digitech multi-processor.
At church, I play an Ibanez acoustic (awesomely awesome) and sometimes a Yamaha bass (not so awesome, but good nonetheless).
dysfunction wrote:D'Addario strings are pretty good as well. Actually, I love Fender strings, for that matter.
D'Addarios are good for acoustics but I love the Fender Superbullets for the electric, if your guitar can handle them.
lecks wrote:i recommend getting a 24 fret guitar because ur gonna kill urself if u dont cause alot of song (like classic rock) need 24 frets to play so unless u plan on only playing your own songs, buy a 24 fret
Actually, very few songs use the last two frets. If truly needed, you can always play an octave lower, use the string before, or try to bend it up if it's on lil' E.
kalan_vod wrote:YEAH!!!! It's here and its pretty sweet :P. I have been practiceing on it for about 2 hours and i'm getting there! So I went to a local music store and got a Crest amp, 25 watt., used for $40 USDA and got me a tuner, newby book, and just started playing. I will be returning the amp tomorrow b/c the socket for the input is a little funky. I'm not sure if I will get a new lesser amp or a better same watt. amp.? Thanks and LETS ROCK 'N ROLL!!!!
Few words of advice:
- Get a training video that accompanies a book. That's how I learned, at least.

- After a few years (2 or 3), I'd suggest you take a few lessons with a professional. S/he'll help you get rid of bad habits and set you in the right path.

- Don't develop bad habits to start with. Stuff like using the thumb to fret the low E string, etc.

- LEARN STANDARD NOTATION!!! Tabs will only get you so far, and it won't be far at all.

- Don't give up. You fingers will ache, your wrist will swell, your arm will tire, and your back will hurt. When practicing for long periods of time, play a little and take a break. Walk around, etc.

- Always, always tune your guitar. Your ear will get used to whatever your fingers are doing. After a few months, you'll be like, "Heck yeah: look at that G chord they're playing on Sweet Home Alabama." If your guitar isn't tuned, you'll be like, "Why the heck are they using G#??". Plus you'll sound horrible.

- Do boring exercises. Stuff like 4-5-6-7 up and down the strings. They really help with coordination and speed.

- Learn the crazy train riff. Easy to learn, everyone knows it, chicks dig it. :lol:

- Ask for help. Whenever you got a question, hit me up or join a guitar forum. Zentao is my favorite (Brazucs87).

anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I play a 56' les paul jr. with P90's and all that good stuff (my dad kept it in his closet after college).
I use D'Addario strings on my classical (the pro'arte ones KICK ASS!), so chances are I'll go with their electric strings.
I think, therefore iMac
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

Yeah, man. I love classical music.
I'm currently learning Isaac Abeniz's Asturias (click). Those triplets kill! :roll:

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Jesus H. Christ that looks like joke music!
Brazucs

Post by Brazucs »

Joke music? lol...
Oh noes, it's real. I wish my headphones were working so I could find an mp3. Try this one, don't know how decent it sounds.

I'm okay with the barred triplets. It's the same-string ones that make me sound like I made a mistake every other bar :P
Also, I have no clue how to get the harmonics on the japanese-sounding part (again, don't know if they do it on the mp3).
Plus, I need to work on the slides - I'm sounding them when I'm not supposed to. It's tough to stop a string while you're playing two others at the same time!
Also 2.0, I will never-ever be able to play the crazy ascension right before the japanese part.

Gimme a break: I have no classical guitars!

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

WOW, just looking at stuff like this I have begun to lose my modivation :P....jk
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Thats CRAZY.