The Legend of Zelda

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

The Legend of Zelda

Post by DarkAuron »

I find it funny that everyone who tries to make a zelda game (well, just about anyways) wants to remake or at least use graphics from the 4th (Link's Awakening) game but completely ignore the first. Why?

People argue that the graphics are much easier to convert, but what about the engine? Theres no live-scrolling in the very first zelda game (although unless you make tiles 6x6 or redesign the maps a bit you'd have to for the calc), and the graphics themselves are very simple, the items are simple, the engine itself is simple. But it's unfortunately neglected!

In question of why it's ignored, I made a few grayscale screenshots (just images, not actual footage or anything) of what it could look like in grayscale. Well with crzybl making a b&w zelda in xlib, I got a bit inspired this previous night to further break the first zelda (of what I did) down to 1bit as well. And I was somewhat successful... to see the full comparison, almost like a tree, look below!

If someone would like to start up a LoZ1 project in either 1bit or 2bit, I'd be more than willing to do the graphics for it. :roll:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

i will do it in asm. i made a basic zelda in omnicalc but it sucked ass, so i never relased it. in fact the ram celared on it.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I appreciate your concern but honestly I think you should focus on SSP. I'd prefer someone that doesn't have anything else going on.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

ok cool.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

nice sprites! i actually made my own dungeon sprites. the problem with me using yours is that the door isnt alined in 8x8. its like 16x16. it would look weird in my zelda.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

It's not supposed to be aligned, because it isn't in the original zelda. Left and right doorways are aligned to walk through but top and bottom ones are made of one less tile, because the tiles are laid out even numbered horizontally and odd numbered vertically in the original.

For the calc that isn't true for all the tiles on-screen (but the total map screen is), but to keep to the original it'd have to be like that. To navigate correctly then, movement would have to be 1/2 a tile movement, or 4 pixels.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

you cant do that with xLib though
(\__/)

threefingeredguy
Calc King

but hes making an asm one.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

i was just saying why I didnt use Zelda I sprites
(\__/)

gtaforever00

Post by gtaforever00 »

Hey DarkAuron. I could try making a zelda 1 clone. I don't have any other projects right know. I'm going to try and make a main engine tonight.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

gtaforever00 wrote:I'm going to try and make a main engine tonight.
Heh.

I agree that this could be an interesting project. However, I think the screen resolution of the 83+ series is much too low for a non-scrolling Zelda. Moving the background instead of the character also provides clear character animation instead of a blurred semi-transparent Link.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Plus maps are more annoying becuase any blocking item (tree, wall, lake) on the edge of one screen must have a corresponding blocking object on the next screen to keep them from walking through it. I learned that with my old hp engine before i converted it to scrolling.