Six and Chaos

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

teoryn

Six and Chaos

Post by teoryn »

First off, hello everybody, nice to see the fourms back up. I've been really needing my six Mhz entertainment :)

So in recent times I've been working on computer programming, for school and fun. Sadly it's in java, which runs about as fast as TI-BASIC. Recently I've been doing some stuff like a fractal generator based on the chaos game.

So, I was wondering, what other programming does everybody around here do, if any?
You've seen the posts, now see the sites!
http://hiddenuniverse.blogspot.com
http://teoryn.deviantart.com
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Calc: TI-Basic, ASM
Computer: MLC, C#, HTML, PHP & MySQL

All i can think of atm
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I used to use the following:
VBA, VB6, ASM (Z80), Java, JSP, PHP, MySQL, HTML, Basic

And I got a little experience with:
C++, ASP

Though I didn't program much lately...
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

C++, Z80ASM, PHP, Javascript
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Z80-ASM, Haskell 8), Java, PHP, SQL, ti-BASIC, Quick-BASIC :)
jbshaler
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by jbshaler »

This past month or so I made a Mandelbrot and Julia fractal explorer in C#, using quaternions instead of complex variables. Zooming functions are no fun, since it has to switch between 2D and 4D coordinates so much. It was for my math class, so I had to write a paper about it, too, which made it a little less fun.

I used to program a lot in VB and QBasic, and I know some C/C++, and z80 asm, obviously.

Nowadays I still have to use Java for school, since I'm designing next year's CS curriculum, which will use Java. Java seems like a good language to learn programming, especially since its syntax is like c/c++/c#. The programs I have to come up with are so boring, though...at least I got the teacher to consider GUI's for the third trimester instead of doing console/inputbox IO the whole year.
teoryn

Fun

Post by teoryn »

jbshaler wrote:This past month or so I made a Mandelbrot and Julia fractal explorer in C#, using quaternions instead of complex variables. Zooming functions are no fun, since it has to switch between 2D and 4D coordinates so much. It was for my math class, so I had to write a paper about it, too, which made it a little less fun.

I used to program a lot in VB and QBasic, and I know some C/C++, and z80 asm, obviously.

Nowadays I still have to use Java for school, since I'm designing next year's CS curriculum, which will use Java. Java seems like a good language to learn programming, especially since its syntax is like c/c++/c#. The programs I have to come up with are so boring, though...at least I got the teacher to consider GUI's for the third trimester instead of doing console/inputbox IO the whole year.
The fractal explorer sounds cool, it would make an interesting project to do when I have some free time. Also, I find writing papers about things a good way to check my work 'cause it helps me make sure I got everything put together well.

As for learning programing with java, I'll agree it has it's good sides, but I've got some problems with things like not having to understand garbage collecting, or really anything about memory management. However, it is a good language for non-intensive apps, schools with multiple os's, and the api is very nice (although I find many fellow students don't realize this and spend a lot of time writing code they could avoid doing).
You've seen the posts, now see the sites!
http://hiddenuniverse.blogspot.com
http://teoryn.deviantart.com
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I dont really program as much anymore, but i have used VB(and VBSCRIPT), C, C++, JAVA(and JAVASCRIPT), Z80-ASM, MIPS-ASM, basic (but who cares :)) ... and probably some other stuff too.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

ti-basic, z80 asm, html

i want to learn: php, c++, ARM asm
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

z80 asm, Ti-Basic, HTML

I wanna learn others, but time is not always on my side! :)
The Revolution is here...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I forgot to say that I am also able to write COBOL 8) ... ... ... ok... the language is rather pointless for anything except data transactions and stuff like that :roll:
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Erm, lessee.. I've done/tried:
-HTML :lol:
-mIRC scripting
-QBASIC
-C++
-DarkBASIC
-TI-BASIC 8)
-Z80 :shock:
-Java :evil:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Let's see:

recently: C, C++, Prolog/CLPFD, Haskell, Java, Z80 asm, Scheme
formerly: x86 asm, Pascal, 8085 asm, PHP, SML
known but never used: Mercury, WAM 'asm'

HTML is not a programming language... I have some experience with XML, XSLT, XHTML+CSS though, if that counts.
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

From all the languages in know, i like Haskell the most. It forces one to create structure in the code, and you got lots of functionality with minimal LOC. I once wrote a program that learned itself to play a chess-like game by playing hundreds of thousands games to itself, each generation consisting of a pool of 100 individual neural networks, creating über-networks by selecting the best network each generation. After one day of battle, the best networks beat me even though they only used 2-level deep minimax (they could only look ahead 2 turns). Imagine how unbeatable it was when I set it on 8-level deep minimax hehe :)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

CoBB wrote:Let's see:

recently: C, C++, Prolog/CLPFD, Haskell, Java, Z80 asm, Scheme
formerly: x86 asm, Pascal, 8085 asm, PHP, SML
known but never used: Mercury, WAM 'asm'

HTML is not a programming language... I have some experience with XML, XSLT, XHTML+CSS though, if that counts.
CoBB!!! You are back man! I missed you... :D ... What would be maxcoderz board without CoBB? :lol: