Please Read

New to maxcoderz forum? Go here first!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

On the topic of post count, I really don't care if it's shown or not. The only time it ever encouraged me to post was when I was like 30 away from the 1000. All other times I have niether been encouraged nor discouged to post because of it. I don't think that the spamming will have a MAJOR impact by the addition of the member titles, veterans or not it's ussually very clear to see who the more intelligent people. If not by their attitude then by what they actually have to say or have done. But if the post count really are causing the problems( :roll: ) then get rid of them.

I don't think there is any reason to critique the staff at this point, they are doing there best with bad situation. So a few topcs get lock, like anyone really NEEDED to know if Zelda was rpg. However I think deleting stupid post might work better, like responding with purely a smiley(s). Or even better when a poster doesn't fully articulate a thought Edit the post telling him to do so, an example would be when someone post "What?", that doesn't say alot. :roll:

CoBB said that these things, forum etiquette, should be common sense. Well they clearly didn't hand out common sense to everyone. The best solution I can offer is to make everyone aware that this is a forum not chatroom and that the members expect intelligent conversations not random incoherent thoughts and arguments. But one thing though, still have to remember that you shouldn't suck the fun out of everything.

Hope you moderators have fun walking this tight rope. :twisted:

PS: Can you make rule for not joking about projects that have been cancelled due to natural devastation or an act of god. Thanx. :)
pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

Jim e wrote:CoBB said that these things, forum etiquette, should be common sense. Well they clearly didn't hand out common sense to everyone.
He's right, but not in our context I think. Of course this should be common sense, but it actually becomes common sense to newbies...experience you know. The problem is that more mature members shall not being bothered by the younger's own experimentation of what would be an anarchy (in the good sense of this term). I have no solution though.
PS: Can you make rule for not joking about projects that have been cancelled due to natural devastation or an act of god. Thanx. :)
:P
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I dont think hiding the post count really matter, I realized that after spamming for a while it becomes boring and you stop (despite of a few exceptions though)
ImageImageImageImage
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Just suspend the troublemakers for a few days if the situation goes really out of hand and they don't seem to react to warnings well enough. I don't understand why we should be forgiving towards spamming. Off topic discussions are okay with me (I also tend to be an offender, no need to be a hypocrite ;)), it perfectly fits the way people usually converse in real life. Moderators can split topics as they see fit.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

sic wrote:It's a line we have to walk carefully, I suppose. The rankings can be good because they encourage activity, but if people are too wrapped up in how many posts they have, then it certainly can degenerate into a "pissing contest".
A better way to encourage activity is with projects and updates. Pindur didn't become 35 pages long for any reason, frequent updates and project disscusion lead to its' growth, I'd estimate that more than 90% is actual productive talk, not just "OMFG DIS IS UBER-AWESUM!!1!". Another, more open, contest might spur on better activity, with or with out a prize.

Or updates on another well known project, sic, might be nice to. :wink:
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hah, sic is back. Well let's see, I hope I don't miss anything.

About the postcount. I expect from people that they are responsible enough to handle thinks like postcount. It's just like the font size thing. Why should we hide/mod it, so that noone get's the chance to do something wrong in the first place. Imho everyone should have the commen sense of knowing what is good and wrong. But maybe that's just me beeing a dutch guy :P.

If I lock a post, like the Zelda RPG one, I usually state it. I thought I did it with that topic too, but I can't find it atm. The reason why I closed it, was that the situation got out of hand, and that the discussion was not about Zelda anymore, but about flaming/bashing some members. Such things should be discussed with person to person. The rest of the topic was not really what I would call "half-way intelligent". If you don't agree with a lock, you can PM me or any other mod. Locking threads won't happen most of the time, even if they are way offtopic.

I disagree with pacHa, the situation is only the last weeks. Strange enough I was away those weeks, and maybe other mods didn't had time either to mod the board. I try now to visit it regular again, to keep an eye around.
pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

I was speaking about the last weeks, it was not stated clearly. Everything had worked almost fine before, I must say.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

I think in total there we're 4 topics locked lately. I did 2 in the GD kv did one in the OT and I thought one in the GD.

slow forums: the point was made. You can go on with a topic like that forever. If anyone notices the slighest downfall in performance they'd be triggered to post.
Ofcourse this is a litle more strict then normal but I felt I needed to give out a message that people should start new interesting threads. Ofcourse I forgot that for interesting threads to open interesting things should happen, which haven't in the Ti community lately.

z80 Revelation: this might have been a mistake of mine. If my memory serves me correct I locked it because I saw all these revolution/revelation topics appearing on the top of the page continuously for the last 3 months. I now have to adjust my point of view and admit there is no reason to keep it locked so I have unlocked it.

As I've stated before if you think I am being impartial about locking then tell me why a topic shouldn't be locked or which other topics also should be locked by my standards.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm I think there is alerady another z80 revelation topic somewhere, so it makes a total of 2 :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
MissingIntellect

Post by MissingIntellect »

Where are you moving to in California, Joe? :D ;)
(See Location.)
--Steve Riekeberg
MaxCoderz Co-Founder, Ex-Staff Member
http://www.missingintellect.net
chronoflare

Post by chronoflare »

Heh reminds me of that topic in the old forum. Logic cycle, and then of course my terrible 4 faceted plan against spam. Terrible plan. Post counts should stay. Lets just make it so that for spamming an obscene amount of the offender's post count disappears.

Four Faceted Plan Revised
1st offence - Warning (Duh)
2nd offence - -10 posts
3rd offence - -100 posts
4th offence - Suspension or Ban.

Ok so its not that great but it does the job.
Long retired from this forum. For all of those who are still coding here back from the days I posted, rock on.
If you are interested to see what I am working on now go to http://www.axulyon.com/
pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

I don't fully agree with this solution because this still puts the postcount at the center of everything... After all, why are we posting here ? Mostly -unfortunately- because some guys are bored. But the real goal of such forums is to discuss various things, show projects dev, get feedback and give news IMO. There's no postcount need in this, that's where it's wrong I think.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

delete the post count.
Life is getting better.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Or we could accept the fact that there are no new projects and less projects than some years ago we can talk about.

Some years ago there were more learning ASM programmers which at the moment seem absent. It might even be that this is the last bastion where we can at least talk about developing asm games in a moderately advanced fashion.

Since most people here have stuff on the backburner or are here because they play games we have to accept the fact that there isn't a whole lot to talk about anymore. Atleast that's how I feel. Every year I hope new talent will enter the TI community but it sparcely happens :cry: .
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Good point kozak, But I still think that a monthly routine contest might spur on better coders.