April Fools! (Was: Copyright Violation Letter)

New to maxcoderz forum? Go here first!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

i'm actually curious to wonder if this is for real or just an april fools day prank -_-

it really sucks, though. because it seems like pretty much all inspiration for calc games came from nintendo stuff...Zelda, mario, tetris, etc etc

guess i'm lucky that i created my own stuff >XD (hides the old Sonic the hedgehog references >.>)
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

ok, its not metroid its now officially Gondom! now change the gfx quick!
2 Options:
1.Close Down Metroid.
2.they wont know that you are developing it
Life is getting better.
sic
Site Admin

Post by sic »

Unfortunately, the fact that Metroid 83 is an open source and (once completed) will be freely available does nothing to change the fact that it is indeed copyright violation. I'm pretty pissed off right now, as you can imagine - I've put a lot of work into this. I'm not sure about changing the sprites, either - I don't want Nintendo lawyers hounding me down...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Indeed that would suck. I have a few question though:

1) How can Nintendo find your home address with a TI site? I mean I never put mine on the internet. Do they track your computer ID or something?
2) Why the Mario forum is still open?
ImageImageImageImage
sic
Site Admin

Post by sic »

I don't know the answer to either of those questions :(
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

This is a real shame Joe... :cry:

Mario and now Metroid. There must be something unlucky about the 'M".

I have to be sure though...Is this an Aprils fools day Joke, because some things in that letter didn't look right? My dads an attorney so I see alot of legal letters and such every day. Some things just didn't seem that professional... :?
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I won't believe anything said here until tomorrow... all i can say is, this better be an April Fool's joke... I hope I wont get Orson Scott card (author of the book Ender's Game) coming down on me...

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

If that's an april fool, woaah
I really believed it :roll:

I really hope this is indeed a fake :)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Yeah me too, I wont believe anything until tomorrow. Damn, if it is a joke you guys scared the hell out of me!

Got one question though? If Nintendo was all of a sudden looking into calc games being made that are almost exact ports of their games...why haven't the people that made Metroid89, Kirby, Zelda, all the Mario games, and the countless other Nintendo ports gotten letters too. Hmm, that is interesting? :wink:

For the sake that is all right and justful, this sucks. I know you, Joe, and Cyan have put a lot of time into this project. I sure hope this is a joke. A sic joke, thanks for crushing us loyal followers of Metroid!
Last edited by Madskillz on Fri 01 Apr, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Revolution is here...
Cyan
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Cyan »

All I have to say is 2 years wasted... My dad came in with the mail a little bit ago... and decided to open the letter that was addressed to me. As far as he is concerned, I'm not allowed on this site anymore, and I can't ever talk to Joe again. Hes quite pissed off, as am I. Why now? We're so close! Joe already closed the forum and the project file. And just to check, I went to see if he kept the source in his server (I had access, of course.) Thats gone too. I don't know if I should cry or call up Nintendo and beg them. Why now?!?!?
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

It could be that they sended a request to the hosting company. After all, we are hosted at joepnet.com ...

I can't believe it either... though metroid seems to be one of their major projects. I mean the DS got one demo of it right at the launch. And to be honest, this metroid is a game which is closer to nintendo game than any other game yet...

man this sucks :x
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Cyan wrote:All I have to say is 2 years wasted... My dad came in with the mail a little bit ago... and decided to open the letter that was addressed to me. As far as he is concerned, I'm not allowed on this site anymore, and I can't ever talk to Joe again. Hes quite pissed off, as am I. Why now? We're so close! Joe already closed the forum and the project file. And just to check, I went to see if he kept the source in his server (I had access, of course.) Thats gone too. I don't know if I should cry or call up Nintendo and beg them. Why now?!?!?
You should consider being an actor. You played the part very well. :P
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

not really...Sorry Cyan, stick to graphics man! :D
I think the part about the server access clued me in...and I like how your dad wont allow you to visit MC anymore. Nice touch! :wink:
The Revolution is here...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm, I dunno what are the letter standards in the US, but since Canada inspire themself from US most of the time I think they might be the same. From what I know the Nintendo logo should have been at the top-left of the letter, above Joe Pemberton thingy, and the logo should be smaller (now it take half of the letter width), and where is the date of the letter? There should be something saying "Cityname, month day year" like "Quebec, april 1st 2005"
ImageImageImageImage
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

That's why I prefer coining completely new words for my titles. ;)