April Fools! (Was: Copyright Violation Letter)

New to maxcoderz forum? Go here first!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Still remembering this hoax.

Just in case this is real:

Couldn't you include something on the Metroid pages that say something to the effect of "this is not an official Nintendo title; Metroid is a registered trademark of Nintendo", etc, etc?
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Cyan
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Cyan »

This will be my last post for a while... dad's grounded me from the computer all together... he went back to work, so he really has no way ot knowing I'm on here. Anways, that letter I got... check it out:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/ ... CF0022.jpg

It looks like the same one Joe got. Gerr... why did Dad have to find it? Sorry guys... hopefully you'll at least see me on the forums once in a while.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Well, with 10 posts, I would hate to know what its like to see you once in a while... :P
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

DigiTan wrote:Still remembering this hoax
Hmm Pat doesnt have much inspiration for april jokes I think. It's the exact joke he posted on April 1st 2002, but the news are up to date this time. :)

EDIT: (after checking TI-News.net) If you have an account at UnitedTI Feel free to moderate the forum as you wish :twisted: ... NO PLZ DONT DO THAT!!!!!
ImageImageImageImage
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

This really, really sucks. It just goes to show that the human race, in general, care about nothing except money. And they're not losing money; it's not like they're going to make the game for the calc anyways, and no one has to pay for it. *sigh* Best of luck to you guys..
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Sorry man, I just don't believe it (completely). You coded everything, all the sprites were hand draw, and I truly doubt the levels are an exact match(due ti differences). With that aside minor changes in sprites and names can save you from legal action. Check out the DS, puzzpack came along with a sold product. And it bares a striking resemblence to other games.
http://www.detachedsolutions.com/puzzpack/

Second, I'm no expert but the signatures don't really match. Further the letter seems to be lacking certain standards(but I doubt any here is an english porfessor).

But with that aside, this must be by far the most convincing prank i Have seen in a while, I'm still gonna wait till tomorrow.(remember to say April Fools!! on april fools day).

Man sic, now I can't trust anyone. (if real) You couldn't have broken it to us a little nicer way.
Toaster
Extreme Poster

Post by Toaster »

It might be an April Fools joke but if it is it's very convincing. :D
Join me at:
http://nanotech.pcriot.com
or
http://emancipal.co.nr

Coming soon..
Rewrite 3D Level Editor - 55% done!!
Emancipal - The Creator 5% done
bcherry

Post by bcherry »

Yeah, I've been looking around online for April fools jokes, but when I came here to check out the metroid forum and see if anyone had posted anything, I was surprised that I couldn't find it. Then I noticed the news article, then I thought "April Fools?", then I saw the letter, and hoped "April Fools?" Then I worried about my game, and Kevin's. I just hope it is, but if so, you really scared me here.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

remember to say April Fools!! on april fools day
in which timezone?
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

his
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Like I said, if this is an Aprils fools joke, it was planned out well. You had me worried, but besides the fact that bcherry here, or the makers of those Kirby games for the 68k calcs havent recieved a letter yet, when in fact their games resemble their counterparts much more closely, I have been pushing towards a hoax.

I talked with Cyan on AIM...I gotta give him props, he was pretty convincing, but I still dont believe it because of the reason stated above.

Then, I go back to ticalc.org and read up on some other games that have had some past legal trouble...i.e. "Monopoly" mispelled for a reason...Hasbro got on his case...or somebody that was pretending to be Hasbro and scared Kirk Meyer enough for him to drop it than release a different version later.

I still see errors in the letter by the way. I know for a fact Nintendo isnt going to put its logo dead center. All professional/moderate size businesses are gonna put their logo in the upperleft hand cornor, with probably with the words: Nintendo Headquarters underneath it somewhere.
The Revolution is here...
Dragonwarrior333

Post by Dragonwarrior333 »

Hey wanna look at somthing really neat that is kinda what "going" on(cough...cough)
look a the Maxcoderz Home page and goto one of the anomyous posts that has 2 links and look in the comments under the Copyright thing they are kind of ironic!!!
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

There is always one way to test this...call the 1-800 number listed at the top of Joe's letter? :lol:
The Revolution is here...
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Heh heh... Okay, guys. It's almost April 2nd now. You can bring back the Metroid forum now...

Er, guys?...
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
bcherry

Post by bcherry »

No, that would be stupid. Of course the 1-800 number is real. Check it out on nintendo.com, that's the copyright violation number. Anyways, other than that I havent gotten a cease and desist order, knowing full well that can't have missed mine and gotten Joe's, I have another much stronger piece of evidence that its a joke. It's April Fools' day! Actually, no that's not the evidence (April fools...)

Note that in the letter, "Your work entitled Metroid (for the TI-83/83+)..." There is no way Nintendo would write "(for the TI-83/83+)" in an official letter about copyright and trademark violation. They would have to be more specific, because this whole thing is about specifics. Plus, they would probably need a "TM" symbol to note the significance of TI's intellectual property. Plus, the name Metroid would be in quotes to signify that it is the name of his work, and also to stress the difference between the name of Joe's work and Nintendo's trademark.
Anyways, I must say Joe, keep up the good work, I hope we come back from this joke with some awesome new screens and maybe a playable demo? :D