Site problem: Not handling cookies properly

New to maxcoderz forum? Go here first!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Site problem: Not handling cookies properly

Post by benryves »

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with the site storing cookies.

I keep getting logged out of the site. If I log in I get the PHP session ID in the URL rather than sent back in a cookie, which means that the site forgets me if I strip the sid parameter from the URL. In addition automatic log on doesn't work, which is exacerbated by the forum preventing the password-remembering functions from working in certain web browsers (at least IE).

Edit: I've just cleared my previously saved passwords and it seems Opera 11 has fixed whichever oddity in the login form was preventing it from saving passwords, but IE still seems to be affected.
DJ_O
Calc King

Re: Site problem: Not handling cookies properly

Post by DJ_O »

I don't post often, but I noticed that everytime I visited I had to login again, even when I selected the auto-login box. I did not have the auto-logout issue until I saw your post, though, since I didn't login in a while. I hope you can fix it since it will be annoying to login on every post. :mad:
ImageImageImageImage
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

The site is sending cookies to the browser, but doesn't seem to be acting on them (and so falling back to the ?sid= stuff in the URL). It's sending also sending phpbb3_fpc3o_sid rather than PHPSESSID. I'm glad in a way it's not just me, but it is annoying and I don't think there's much I can do about it as I don't have access to our hosting, just the phpBB control panel. :-(

I'll guess I'll aim the kv83 searchlight into the sky and hope he comes to our rescue. :-)
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

I did have to log in this time when having the site set to auto-log me in. However, I did clear my cookies a few days back, and I'm unsure if I've visited since then.

*edit* 12/28: It does appear to be the site. I had to manually log in today as well although it is set to auto login.
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

This issue should now be fixed as we're running on a new server. Please let me know if you have any issues logging in!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It is something I noticed, but now it is fixed. Thanks!
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

I couldn't login, so I had to reset my password. But all is good now Ben.
The Revolution is here...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

By the way I love how you brought the 2003-05 front page back up. I missed it. I hope you eventually re-add all former MC products there, since it was part of MC history.

One thing, though: Is it normal that my password got changed following the server move? I had to send a password reset to my e-mail...
ImageImageImageImage
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Thanks, I hope we can do something more interesting with the new-old home page; the current one was knocked together in a couple of hours so is fairly rudimentary (the lack of a proper header is one immediate case for concern). :)

Passwords should not have changed. I know mine didn't, though I'd be interested to hear what the general consensus is; I may have accidentally changed them when upgrading phpBB. I dumped the database from the old phpBB 3.0.5 site then uploaded it to this one with a fresh installation of phpBB 3.0.8. The control panel complained I was running an out-of-date version of phpBB (presumably as it detected something amiss with the database) so I ran the update installer which made several changes to the database. In the process it nuked the modifications we'd made to the forum theme, so it may well have also modified passwords.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It is nice to see part of the old site/design up, but I miss seeing all the old products..Some legendary games have come from the hands of MaxCoderz..Many new comers may not realize that, but you should show them :).

Btw my password did not change.
Galandros

Post by Galandros »

I like the new slogan: "for your 1 bit pleasure!". :D

And I have seen in the WaybackMachine how the frontpage was a long time ago.
It would be cool to see it with 2011 news soon.
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

Galandros wrote:I like the new slogan: "for your 1 bit pleasure!". :D
Agreed on that :D
Is there anything I should have looked out for? I didn't notice a password problem, but I am kind of new...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Actually they used this slogan for several years. On the original archive.org site you can even see it in the title bar. Here are the slogans used:

2001: none (The first site just said "Welcome" and the second one "News")
2002: Keep on coding
2003: Where's the door?
2004-today: For your 1 bit pleasure

Also I miss that banner a lot:
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200207 ... empLog.jpg

The one with the walking samus sprite way afterward was pretty cool, too, as well as the one on the Mamboo page.
ImageImageImageImage
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I never understood that banner, personally, though the one with the walking Samus sprite was indeed excellent. :)

I don't remember the one used on the Mambo site, though, and don't remember the URL so can't do any digging in web.archive.org.

I agree that putting up the old products would be a good move. I'll need to liaise with the other staff members over how we do this and what sort of information is provided.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Who could forget Samus walking on the top of the screen. I don't remember that logo DJ, but I do remember Chrono being central for as long as I can remember. Good times for sure ha.
The Revolution is here...