Avatars are not allowed to be linked remotely anymore

New to maxcoderz forum? Go here first!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

bah, this got rid of my qavatar changer.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

hmm, coudn't you write something so that it submits your profile settings when someone clicks on the change avatar button, and also change the picture at that url? Then it would upload the new picture, giving effectively the same effect. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

I didnt upload pictures. I simply copied pictures over a remotly linked image that was set as my avatar.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, yes, I assumed that. But what I mean is now all you need to do is have some program push the submit button on your profile settings, and the maxcoders site will re-upload whatever picture the url currently points to. So if your program copies a new program over the picture at that url, maxcoders will just upload the new picture. It would have the same end effect as before.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

uhm. that's not how it works, compwiz. All pics are stored locally on our server, so it's impossible to have a external image-script running
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yes, but they are stored when you click on the submit button in your profile settings. So, if you have a script(or whatever) that simulates pushing the submit button(with the picture url filled in of course) when someone clicks on the "change avatar" link, it would store whatever picture is at that url currently(the picture file that you change) on to the maxcoderz server, changing it from what it was.

Isn't that correct? :puzzled: I think you may have misunderstood exactly what I was saying. I mean, I know when you push submit it uploads whatever picture url you have filled in to the maxcoderz server, changing what is displayed for your avatar. So, wouldn't that work for patori's avatar changer? Just one extra thing it has to do other than copying over the picture on his server.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

No that isn't corret. He would need admin rights for that and would need to change phpBB, which I won't allow for such a silly feature
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

but you don't need admin rights to upload a picture. As long as you have a forum account all you need to do is type in a url and push "submit" on your account settings page. I'm looking at it right now. When you do that, it uploads a picture for you to the maxcoderz server. That's how everyone set their avatars. So, all he has to do is have something to automatically push submit, after his remotely hosted picture is changed. The profile settings page will upload the new picture, and his avatar will change.

you know what? I think I'll set something up to do it right now. It's really not that complicated.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

But that's an incredibly inefficient way to do it, imho.
<-- New avatar.
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

inefficient, ok. but it works. When I have the program running on my computer it works fine. Watch for it. I'll try to have it running all day tomorrow.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Let me get this straight, your uiploading avatar after avatar consuming there bandwidth and slowing things down?

meh...there are more effiecient ways to take down maxcoderz.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Well, could I have your script that you used to use? Then I could make it only happen when someone clicks a link.

Anyway, it's not changing that quickly.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

My avatar changes, and kv83 said it couldn't be done
No, what I said is that the method Patori used couldn't be done without admin rights. What you are doing is just making a way of taking away our bandwith and space, which brings me to blocking your account... so stop the crap
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes coninuously uploading new avatars, slowly the forum and needlessly consuming bandwidth is one of the quickest ways to have your user account removed.

I know changing avatars are a pretty nifty trick, but are they *really* that necessary. Why cant you just manually change them every week or so?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kv83 wrote:
My avatar changes, and kv83 said it couldn't be done
No, what I said is that the method Patori used couldn't be done without admin rights.
No, you said what I described couldn't be done.

and I turned it off. It was really just to prove a point.

Hmm, I notice there's a delete checkbox underneath your avatar picture in the profile settings page. Does that mean that if you had your program select that every time it changed the avatar it wouldn't mess up the maxcoderz server, since it would delete the old one each time?