New Contest?

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

We'll call it Mario Kart: Tunnel Vision.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Skip Mode7, source code for it has been around for a couple of years. Extending Jim E's or mine to read from a tilemap can't be considered a proper contest.

What about an arbitrary quadrilateral that's mapped perspectively correct with a pre-defined texture? Haven't seen much of anything of that yet :)

Maybe render any arbitrary flat polygon that can be concave (even with holes?) with no crossed borders? As a second deadline two days or so after the first, a string of text is released and each entry must be able to render that text, one polygon per letter.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You want to win a contest by default dont you :)? You could probably count the people who are capable of doing that in this community on 1 hand.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Forgot this thread... Anyway, remember that I've entered zilch competitions around and I never will enter one, because A) I bet I'm pretty bad with z80 by now and B) I got other things to take care of :P

Btw, what's the point with a competition if an entry takes a couple of minutes/hours to make? Competitions are supposed to be hard and require some brainstorming, general curiosities ala rotating sprites by quarter turns or other silly things are in the category of everyday coding problems (in the sense of low-level realtime programming).

TI competitions should _not_ aim for issues that have already been pretty much solved (sorting a list, bah!), there's loads of new stuff to explore and invent. Make a list of competitions and respective winners on the Maxcoderz home page so that entrants got something to work for. Previous competitions have been rather, uhm, "uninspiring" imho :)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Why not have a programming contest that consisted of actually writing a program, and not a routine? Something like a game making contest. My best idea on the subject would be to encourage contestants to come up with the most original/interesting puzzle type game they could think of. That way, because of the simplicity of code required, you'd have a lot of entries. Also, since the entire contest would be about both coding and originality, you'd have a lot of interesting stuff.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah that would be a great idea. And make the entries be basic and asm, so even more would join in like the pong contest. Remeber the great entries for the pong contest? I do, and it was something I wish I would've known about.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

:D :lol: :) :o :shock: :wink:

I think that sounds like a great idea. Just z80 calcs? wah!!!
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Well, this forum is just about all z80 so it would make it easier :D.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

kalan_vod wrote:Well, this forum is just about all z80 so it would make it easier :D.
i guess i have to watch, just like I always do. or I can try to port.
Image Image Image
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

From the last official program makeing contest we've proven that most people here don't have the attention span for a long contest such as making a game. Tr1p was the only entering contestant in the demo contest(save a few other later comers and broked progy).

The routine contest was promoted for it actually making something usefull, then downside is the grading curve. Scoring based on size is riduculos. The methods we went through to shave a few bytes ended up killing the code as being usefull.

If there is another routine contest it should be based on what the routine is capable of, how limited it is(or how extendable it is), what it requires, the size, and speed(based on most likely avg).

Please shorten the time limit for next contest. All have been to long.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Well I know that Omnimaga would make a news item about it and maybe we could get Revsoft to be involved and then UTI and well 4 groups involved would turn out great! I would enter (as long as the game is somewhat good).
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I like the sound of a routine contest. The attention factor is definatley better and it would probably make the judging go a lot smoother.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

How about a competition to make the best go AI. The go game being worked on looked pretty promising, but no one was really working on an AI for it. Say, 20kb size limit, and specify how it recieves and outputs code to the main game.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

whats a go AI?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

an AI for the game called go. They're difficult to make.

the_unknown_one is working on making the game GO for calculator, but he doesn't have an AI for you to play against. Without one, it would have to be a strictly 2 person game.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image