Wow.

Moderator: tr1p1ea

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Yeah I saw it at CalcHaven and it look promising. :) The graphics remember me Metroid on the Gameboy. I think the guy shared soem ideas with Joe on AIM. The only flaw is that it still doesn't have scrolling animation when you enter hatches and the background is white :(
ImageImageImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, in greyscale on 68k you definitely have the cpu to render parallax scrolling backgrounds. Without them it seems kind of... empty. On Joe' it's not as noticeable because the sprite design is better (this 68k version just ripped the sprites of Super Metroid, which doesnt work that well since its at lower resolution) and the 83 version is of course at lower resolution. Better map design helps too; on that 89 version the maps are far too uniform. Still, I asume the game is still in early stages, and it is incredibly impressive. maybe a finished Metroid on 68k will inspire Joe to finish metroid 83!

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yeah although i am incredibly biased towards Joe's Metroid project (:)) i will say that the 68k one does look pretty good. Some strange things happen in the screenshot though O_o.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
bcherry

Post by bcherry »

Haha, thank you guys. I've been working on that Metroid for about less than two months, but it's coming along pretty well. Yes, the sprites are ripped off Super Metroid, but I am starting to design my own. The problem is I'm no good at it. Joe's got Shawn doing his sprites for him. And yes, I could do parralax backgrounds, but I haven't decided yet, because I would need masked sprites to do that, and I don't really want to go back and mask all of my old sprites. What strange things happen in the screenshot? It might just be due to bad capture intervals in the screenshot itself, not the game. Anyways, if you have doubts, drop me an email at bcherry@gmail.com and I'll send you a copy to see for yourself. Oh, and let's not take up space at Joe's forum too much, move over to calcgames to discuss mine. And Joe, thanks for the help you gave me a little while ago, as well as just making the Metroid 83 game, which is much harder to do than a 68k version, I will be sure to have yours on my 83 and mine on my 89, so I will never be without metroid...
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Ah..the man himself speaks! I am just excited to see a Metroid game and done to this extent...Joe's Metroid will surely own the 83 market, and I am sure your Metroid will be a hit with the 68k calcs.
The Revolution is here...
bcherry

Post by bcherry »

I've wanted to do it for a while, and I'm excited about what I've got done, and especially what I've got planned. But I have to admit I'm far more excited about Joe's, because I don't already know what It's going to be like or what's going to happen, so it's a surprise. Besides, I love my 83 and really need a good new game to put on there.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Is there something wrong with ripping the sprites from the old games? :D
bananas... o.o
bcherry

Post by bcherry »

No, but it doesnt look as good as creating them from scratch, because the old ones were made for a higher resolution.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Somewhat related, a while back I was trying to convert samus from super metroid into the same size as the original sprites.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

DA...you always amaze me! :D
The Revolution is here...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, sweet! @bcherry: you might consider using the sprites from Metroid II, as they're of a more favorable res for the 89.

bcherry

Post by bcherry »

I have looked at them, but they are still 32 bit sprites, whereas I need 16. I'll continue to look into it, but I did get a volunteer to try and make me new ones. Also, DA, That is pretty amazing!
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, sorry, the GB sprites are about the same size as the SNES ones- I forgot that.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

16-bit sprites?

Yeah i remember DarkAuron's Samus conversion ... really sweet :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."