TI-ASM Optimization calculator (Clock cycles/ size)

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Nugget

TI-ASM Optimization calculator (Clock cycles/ size)

Post by Nugget »

I know (or hope) there is a list somewhere which has documented the speed in clock cycles and the size in bytes of every (or nearly every) TI Calculator Assembly routine. I think it would be useful to have some sort of calculator which evaluates bits of code provided by the user, and tells precisely how fast the said code would execute. I read another topic suggesting a program which could optimize the code provided by replacing, or at least suggesting, faster, smaller routines of the same function. All that would be needed for a simple version is a dictionary of functions and their equivalents, such as ld a,0 to xor a. If the two ideas could be combined, I think ASM programming could be a lot more efficient.

Maybe a program of this type already exists, but I haven't found one.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Yep. This reference right here: Shiar's Perfect Z80 Instruction Set Summary has all the official instructions, size/speed, affected flags and all the good stuff. If there are TI emulators that support breakpoints and maybe have a stopwatch feature, that might be right up your alley.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]