xLIB ROL3 RPG in calc BASIC

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

__Guest_

xLIB ROL3 RPG in calc BASIC

Post by __Guest_ »

Hello, I am new here. I started programming TI-BASIC a while ago and I saw how it was, but then I saw xLIB here, and tried some games using it, some games not using it. I compared, and saw huge difference.

What i was wondering, is if a game like Reign of legends 3 would be cool in xLIB. I tried this game after seeing the screenshots on Omnimaga site, but the game run too slow to load maps. However, xLIB seems so fast compared to codex, zsprite and those things (I tried the demo coming with xLIB). So I got the idea of a RPG like ROL3 but using xLIB, to have faster map. Anyone think this is right?

I may try it if anyone does. I know this may be ambitious though, but i am evil

EDIT: Does this site have a IRC channel?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It would be great, it was one thing that was asked of from the creator of ROL3. It may be a lot of work since you are new at it, but we are here if you need us.

MC does not have a IRC channel...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Glad to see you are interested in xLIB, and ROL3 ... its a great game.

MC does have an IRC channel, but no-one goes there. Most of us hang out in #TCPA on efnet.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
__Guest_

Post by __Guest_ »

I started calc programmation about 8 months ago if I remember. I know calc BASIC and xLIB pretty well for the TI-83+ and I know some simple BASIC for the TI-89 (but I mostly use the 83 because it's easier).

I made a menu routine a while ago that make me make menu easy. It use xLIB

You store a list of 7 variables in ans. The four first elements are used for the rectangle coordonates, the two others are used for amount of menu choices (row and column), and the last one is used for menu choices amount of letters they use. You store the list, run the program, and it draws a rectangle and the menu choices. You don't have to code the cursor, move, etc, the program do it for you.

I did that because I hated to have to reprogram menus several times and it save my memory

/////////////////////////////////

I also have a menu that looks the same than Final Fantasy 5, with job system, abilities, but there is no armors.

/////////////////////////////////

I e-mailed Kévin Ouellet to know if I could continue making ROL games and if he accepts I will try to make a ROL4. It will use the same pictures and animations but it will have the job system I have in my menu.

If I do it, I have no guarantee when or if it will be finished, but it doesn't hurt to try? :-)

EDIT: P.S: I don't understand Kévin ROL3 code :-P . He used full of Gotos inside Thens and Elses in his game
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Im sure Kevin wont have any problem with you continuing the ROL series. They are amongst the greatest BASIC RPG's ever made, so im sure there will be a lot of people looking forward to this :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
__Guest_

Post by __Guest_ »

HE ACCEPTED!!!!

I got a response, He said he started making a ROL4 in 2004 using text graphics, but he stopped it and he doesn't want to make another calculator RPG. I can continue and use his sprite, as long as I write his name in the instruction manual. So I can start modifying my menu and make program! :-D

I will post news for progress :-). I just need to find my link cable to get the pictures on my calculator
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I think it is time to create a project thread, sounds like great news!
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

:o Wow, I though the RL series were dead!
The only reason I hated RL3 was because of the speed. If that gets fixed (and I'm sure it will in RL4 because of xLib), it's going to be one of the greatest calculator RPG's ever!
So, what changes are you planning in gameplay from RL3? Do you need any extra sprites, or can you make all of them yourself?
__Guest_

Post by __Guest_ »

Well I don't remake ROL3..I will use similar system, same sprites (plus a few of me), however:

-It will have a job system. I mean, you all start Fighter. But then you get new classes, like Sky Mage, Hell Mage, Thief, Knight, Mime. They can use new battle commands after the level of the job is increase. Example: Sky mage level 1 will only use level 1 sky orbs. Level 2 will use level 2 orbs too, etc. A level 2 knight will be able to Cover allies with 1/4 of HP. The level up will make you able to use the commands with the job removed as well.

-There will be some magic that are not in ROL3

-The CONFIG menu is removed. I think it just take memory and speed for nothing.

-There is only one save file instead of two. I removed one because the ones in ROL4 are HUGE. 9 jobs x 3 persons , 2 vars each (ABP and LV). I don't want to compress them like Kévin did in ROL3 because this will take too much time to load when you start the program.

-When you run the program ROL4, you will not have to wait one minute to load the title (I think that was to rearchive the programs in case you quitted in a battle). xLIB have a program copy command, I will use this and have each programs separated in archive and RAM folders in the final zip file.