Raptor

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

This is something similar.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ahh yes airhawk ... that was one of the first calc games i played and was extremely impressed by. I love the description :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Doesn't anybody remember Ben's effort? Fire track or something.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kalan_vod wrote:Firetrack was similar to this.
yeah, it's been mentioned already. That was a fun game(in fact it's currently on my calculator), but it could definately be improved.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CompWiz wrote:
kalan_vod wrote:Firetrack was similar to this.
yeah, it's been mentioned already. That was a fun game(in fact it's currently on my calculator), but it could definately be improved.
Aye.

I actually rewrote Fire Track from scratch to be really like the BBC Micro version. It's for the Sega Game Gear, but it's written in Z80 assembly so could potentially be ported.

Image Image Image Image

All the enemy attack patterns were carefully scripted, and levels could be set up to take advantage of that (lists of "spawn x enemies of type y, delay for z", that sort of thing). Unlike the sedate speed of the calculator game, this could get rather insane - the filename says it all. (that's from one of the last levels, which just spawns lots of enemies (at random) very quickly). Yes, collision detection was disabled. ;)

This video shows off the "classic" gameplay a bit more sedately, though collision detection was still switch off for the purposes of the demo.

An idea for my next project after Nostromo, Latenite, Brass, Emerson, ... ? ;)

The Game Gear only has a 3MHz Z80, but it does have hardware-accelerated sprites and background scrolling. The real killer is the ultra-low screen resolution on the TI-83 series.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I remember seeing a tilemap test early on, but i never followed the progress of the GG version. Boy has it come along a LOT! Looks great and runs great in that demo too Ben! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."