Advance Wars

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

what size sprites should I use?

8x8
No votes
12x12
83%
16x16
17%

Total votes: 6

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I 'member those.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

thanks for the grayscale sprites, they look great. However, I'd really like to see them in 8x8. They don't have to look exactly the same as the ones in the game, they just need to be recognizable. 8x8 gives a viewing area almost as large as the one in the real game.

As for different teams, I was thinking of maybe using some sort of indicator at like the top right of each square. Does anyone have a better idea?

Yeah, I remember the advanced tactics project. I had that nice argument about how bad 83's are vs 83+'s. :twisted: Curahee hasn't been on in a while, and hasn't posted any progress in even longer.

I also remember the calc wars project that was similar. However, that went idle a few months ago, just after everyone told him not to rush it. :lol: Then kalan_vod told him not to take as long as Duke Nukem forever. So, we may have a while to wait.

Hmm, this gives me an idea. Maybe we should rename Joe's metroid game metroid forever. :lol:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Or you could place a sqaure around units to symbolize teams. A solid outline for one team and a dotted outline for the other.

_
| |

- - - - -
|

|

|_ _ _ _
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

how about when there's four teams?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

There can be four teams?

hmm...
%11111111 = team 1
%10101010 = team 2
%11001100 = team 3
%01100110 = team 4
?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

How about "Team #" floating above their heads when you put the cursor over them? This is ASM, right?
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

this is asm, but limiting it to when you put the cursor over their heads would probably not be the best idea. Then you wouldn't be able to asses the situation by just looking at it. You'd have to check each and every unit to see whose team it's on. That wouldn't be very good.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

grayscale?

well, here's something i'm not sure would work, but why not invert the planes of the sprites a certain way or apply masks to "change the color" of a sprite. I'll have to think this more through, but fortunately for me, my current project does not involve teams of similar looking sprites ^^
Image Image Image
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

alright,i'll give a try to convert to 8*8 GS,4lv right?

edit:here's some i converted,in order.Infantry,MechInfantry,Recon,Tank,Medium Tank.Hope you like :)

Tell me if you like the style,or would like anything changed :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Thanks, that should help in the decision. You did a nice job with the limited space. :)
So, let me hear some opinions. What do you think? Is that too small to be recognizable? (do keep in mind it would look bigger on the calc due to larger pixels) Is the very small view area for 16x16 worth it for bigger sprites? Also, it would probably be easier to show what team each unit belongs to with a larger size. Also, do you think 12x12 might be a good compromise between FOV and sprite size?

I think I'm leaning towards 16x16 or 12x12 right now. Dragon_lance, if you get time, would you mind converting one or two sprites to 12x12? like a tank and an infantry, or something. Thanks for helping so far. :)
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

CompWiz wrote:this is asm, but limiting it to when you put the cursor over their heads would probably not be the best idea. Then you wouldn't be able to asses the situation by just looking at it. You'd have to check each and every unit to see whose team it's on. That wouldn't be very good.
maybe an even cooler idea would be when you hold a button, it shows each unit's alliance and hp like in some RTS's (well, the hp part anyways)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

The 8x8 is recognizable. I think 16x16 is too large to be able to effectively plan a strategy. How many tiles/screen were on the gameboy version?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

dragon__lance thos sprites are really neat ... a perfect resize imo.

Perhaps someone should speak to Patori about this as well.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

chickendude wrote:The 8x8 is recognizable. I think 16x16 is too large to be able to effectively plan a strategy. How many tiles/screen were on the gameboy version?
I thing 16x10 or something.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

15x10 as you can see here:

If 8x8 sprites are used, I can get 12 x 8, which is pretty close to the real game. However, making the sprites smaller would make it more difficult to show what side each was on. The idea of using a button to show more information is nice, but I'm not sure if it would work. For example, when moving a unit, it would be hard to memorize where all the friendly and enemy units were before moving. I still think that it would be best to have some kind of indicator on each unit that would show what team it was on. Also, there would have to be one to show the hp of the unit.