Counter Strike!

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Counter Strike!

Post by Floodkiller »

Man, i have this idea all planned out in my head, its just the fact that:

1. Already doing a project (though im not going well on it)
2. This is way too complicated for me to do yet (I still need to get lists down pat, much less what im thinking of)
3. This can probably be done lots better by someone with good experience in programming

So heres the idea:

Take Counter Strike (if you dont know what this is, live in the PC online world for a while!) and make it a top down awesome game for the TI-83 series! The idea of an FPS for Counter Strike, although it seems logical, just wouldnt seem fun with the slowness of a calculator (even the fastest FPSs i see out there for the calculators look slow compared to what fast pace that is Counter Strike). With a top down, though, you could perform the same tasks as a FPS, just have to work with it differently. You could either play by yourself with bots, or link up for 2 player, either both on same team or on opposite teams. The only problems that run into my brains right now with it is a) the ability to use third dimensions such as jump and duck, b(which coincides with a)) the use of overhangs, were one part of the level is higher than the other, and c) How you would make the extensive bot process. I even thought up (well, taken from Halo Zero and other people who mentioned this idea) to extend your view for sniper rifles to the other end of the screen.

If someone would want to take the programming part of this up, I would gladly come up with all the design work.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

how about a side view instead of a top view? Then you could jump/duck, and the sprites might look more recognizable. This could be a great game though, expecially if you could get some kind of multi-calc multiplayer going. With 84 series calcs you can link to two calcs from one calculator and hook up more than two calculators. :twisted:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

CompWiz wrote:With 84 series calcs you can link to two calcs from one calculator and hook up more than two calculators. :twisted:
that'll probably take insane knowledge of linkport sync routines.

edit: Time Crisis 3 anyone?
Image Image Image
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Would the game work something like Little Dude, but with 2 humans blasting away at each other?
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Mike K

Post by Mike K »

I had this idea a while back, got a decent start on it. It uses a top down view, allows the player to move in 360 degrees. This assembly is very buggy and isn't written very well, but here it is. Note, it's called "Half Life" because I was going to make a physics engine out of it.

http://www.mikeknoop.com/upload/halflife.zip

-Mike
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Looks nice Mike, just it was very buggy :D.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

welcome back mike, I wondered if anything ever came up with that project of yours.
The Revolution is here...
Mike K

Post by Mike K »

I was really excited to have finally gotten a 360 degree scrolling routine down, The scrolling routine works, however the character sprite doesn't keep up with the routine. My main problem is you can't turn fast enoug, even if I have you jump 5 degrees each time. Thus where developement halted.

Thanks for the welcome :D

-Mike
Shawshank87

Post by Shawshank87 »

yeah, i actually made a game that was completely playable very similar to the game you are talking about. it was in assembly and allowed two players to link up and shoot at each other. it even had ammo pickups and powerups etc. it had a problem with the link routine that I could never work out... occasionally one calc would freeze upon establishing the connection. anyway, it was one of the first assembly programs i made, so the source isnt even close to midifyable. it did however run at a great speed. this project is completely plausable and would be a great project.
Try your hand at turn based war strategy on your TI-83/Ti-83+ with Catch 22. Download now:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 35508.html

Project Cartel Details:
http://calcwebzine.com/index.php?option ... mid=0&id=8
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

If it was locking up VTI, it was a "raw" linking emulation problem. It would probably work better under Pindur, if that's the case.

No one answered my question though: is this a top-down 2D shooter like Little Dude or Desolate, or will it use some other style? Note that us TI83P-impaired types can't emulate an 8xp file.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]