coolest game EVER!!!

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

I'm working on 2 projects right now: Bomberman (over at omnimaga) and the soon-to-be-coolest-project-ever N-Game. I HOPE that I'll get a chance on Sunday to start ASM in 28 days. If not, it'll be Monday. Also, I need to get Latenite and get that working. Then we can start some HARDCORE programming!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
cheese=yum
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

It's good to be working with you katmaster. Too bad I don't have the .NET framework yet so I can run Latenite.

Oh well, I have to continue my readings of ASMin28 as well. But before that, I might write some code/pseudocode for N-Game and Diablo. If I can't get it all done over the weekend, I'm going directly to reading again.
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

calcul831415 wrote:It's good to be working with you katmaster. Too bad I don't have the .NET framework yet so I can run Latenite.

Oh well, I have to continue my readings of ASMin28 as well. But before that, I might write some code/pseudocode for N-Game and Diablo. If I can't get it all done over the weekend, I'm going directly to reading again.
you can download the .net runtimes from here.

benryves posted it here in the topic about latenite.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I'm running windows 98 btw.

I've gone back to reading/learning. And starting DEM, DEMD, and DEMZ :D :D :D :D :D

edit: Don't worry, it's very well possible that DEM, DEMD, and DEMZ may never be really started or finished in my lifetime. :D :D :D :D :D
Image Image Image
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Ok, I hate to have to always be such a pessimist, but seriously: Of the three people working on this project, one of them admits they don't even know any asm! Com'on now. That's like- well- like- me trying to write a linux kernel! I can't speak for katmaster, so that leaves calcul831415. He's the only one I really have confidence in. But this is not going to be a simple game. I have a feeling you guys are just thinking, "Well, we'll just write a walking engine, and then throw in items, and then some physics, and write up some levels in calcgs, and it'll be done!". Game's like n-game take a long time to make, with a lot of work put into it. They're even harder to program in low-level assembly! </rant>

@Compwhiz: Please, learn some assembly before you start saying you plan on writing something like n-game. That's just ridiculous. I'm not trying to discourage you from learning, but committing yourself to such a large project before you even know what you're getting yourself into is just going to hinder you.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Rezek wrote:Ok, I hate to have to always be such a pessimist, but seriously: Of the three people working on this project, one of them admits they don't even know any asm! Com'on now. That's like- well- like- me trying to write a linux kernel! I can't speak for katmaster, so that leaves calcul831415. He's the only one I really have confidence in. But this is not going to be a simple game. I have a feeling you guys are just thinking, "Well, we'll just write a walking engine, and then throw in items, and then some physics, and write up some levels in calcgs, and it'll be done!". Game's like n-game take a long time to make, with a lot of work put into it. They're even harder to program in low-level assembly! </rant>

@Compwhiz: Please, learn some assembly before you start saying you plan on writing something like n-game. That's just ridiculous. I'm not trying to discourage you from learning, but committing yourself to such a large project before you even know what you're getting yourself into is just going to hinder you.
katmaster and I planned from the beginning to use this as a kind of a first project as we learn asm. I am aware that it will not be easy, and will take a while. However, it seems that we have the benefit of an entire community of helpful assembly programmers here that can aid us in making it, and help us to learn asm while making a neat game. If any advanced programmer wants to join our team to act as an advisor, help us avoid pitfalls, and ensure that this game will be a worthy clone of the original, then feel free. However, I think that without that, we would still be able to share code here and ask for advice from anyone who knows the answer. Look how well Desolate turned out. Wasn't that one of Tr1p1ea's first big game projects? A great game, and it even featured grayscale.

I am not joining some big project, I started the big project. Even if the game doesn't come out very well, I'm sure it will still be a great learning experience.

And try to get the name right. I don't see why people tend to get it wrong when it's so clearly typed on the screen.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

I am aware that it will not be easy
Really. And I'm placing emphasis on you, as in it's REALLY not going to be easy. Please, at least learn some assembly first before you go charging off on something like this. This isn't the way to learn it! Ask calcul8314, he learned by making tons of small programs (some not so small) and he's pretty good for how long he's been learning.
KevinJB | RevSoft
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Rezek wrote:
Really. And I'm placing emphasis on you, as in it's REALLY not going to be easy. Please, at least learn some assembly first before you go charging off on something like this. This isn't the way to learn it! Ask calcul8314, he learned by making tons of small programs (some not so small) and he's pretty good for how long he's been learning.
Yeah, sure I'll make some practice programs. I'm always making little basic programs to solve brain teasers, puzzles, make encoders/decoderz, sudoku solvers,... I'm sure I'll have plenty of little programs in asm by the time I get to really working on n-game.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

I think we ALL know it won't be easy. This isn't my first ASM program, but it is my first game attempt with assembly. Yeah, sure it'll take a while. Even if it does take years or even if it doesn't get finished, I think it's a fun way to attempt to learn assembly.
cheese=yum
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I don't know about assembly, but I began all my current projects long before I had the requisite mastery of Basic to complete them. As a result, I'm still at work on them, 2 and 3 years later. However, the learning I've gone through while doing this has been invaluable. So it's a trade-off; sure you learn a lot by pushing yourself; but also you don't really accomplish anything other than the learning. I'm currently on my final version of the Battlestar Galactica (formerly Ender's Game) engine, but onyl after four complete rewrites to get rid of legacy code.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Well I wish you guys the best of luck. Assembly can be hard, but like you guys said you have a whole community at your finger tips. My first real big project was in greyscale and in assembly. Cobra, as many of you know I have pretty much put that aside after playing with it for over a year. Sure I learned a heck of alot for it. But like dysfunction said, it is a trade off. Do you guys have the time to put into such a massive project. Because in the end time is really what you will need. I put cobra aside because I felt I didnt have the time to finish up such a huge project. I picked up three smaller ones instead. All of which should be fun for you guys.

Plus working as two coders should help speed things up in theory. But you guys will probably have two different coding technigues, so again it can take alot of time unless you work on different parts and sync them together.

Again, I hope you do make this into a fun, great game...I know I would certainly like to see it on my TI.
The Revolution is here...
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Rezek wrote:
Rezek, I think you're exaggerating a bit on my programming abilities. I've only made 2 really small games, but I had a whole ton of rewrites for each one. And only the first 14 days of ASMin28 have really made a whole ton of sense too me.

As for how long it took me to learn ASM, I can't explain, but I know that my progress in the future will be greatly limited by how much work I have to do at school and at home. Learning how to program in ASM and C has slowed to a crawl since school restarted. Even before then it was really slow because of all the work I've had to do.

I really don't regard my self as a great programmer. I really only have limited experience. It's good to hear katmaster's done a lot of ASM programming already, because I don't think you'll be able to rely to heavily on me when it comes time to program because I've been so busy lately.

@dysfunction: After hearing what you said, now I don't mind if it takes me 2 or 3 years to write Deus Ex Mortalis in z80 ASM. I just hope I finish before highschool because then I might not be able to borrow an 83+ in college. Just PTI from then on!! :D (and my 89 Ti too)
Image Image Image
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

you learn a lot by pushing yourself; but also you don't really accomplish anything other than the learning.
Bingo. I suppose that's what I was trying to get across, that and that it might discourage you from trying to learn assembly in the first place.
KevinJB | RevSoft
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

CompWiz wrote:Yeah, sure I'll make some practice programs. I'm always making little basic programs to solve brain teasers, puzzles, make encoders/decoderz, sudoku solvers,... I'm sure I'll have plenty of little programs in asm by the time I get to really working on n-game.
Those won't provide practice in the correct style. Those will have little to nothing to do with the complexities (and even the simple parts) of the game. Work on something that is more relevant.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

@katmaster and CompWiz: Do you guys want to use ION libraries to put sprites for now and then build our own sprite routine later?
Image Image Image