Progress Thread - New demo - Cobra Mk III (18-May-08)

A full (6DOF) 3D engine for TI-83 based calculators.

Moderator: qarnos

qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

Jim e wrote:
qarnos wrote:It looks great, but I couldn't get it to accept my 84+ ROM (downloaded using rom8x). 83+ worked fine, however.
Well for the 84+ the only key detail to getting it to run is the rom size, it should be 2MB. However I have yet to directly support 8xus in wabbitemu, so you'll need to make sure the rom already has an os installed.
Mmm... mine is only 1mb. I downloaded the OS and told rom8x to install it. I'll have to investigate this further. :?
"I don't know why a refrigerator is now involved, but put that aside for now". - Jim e on unitedti.org

avatar courtesy of driesguldolf.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I don't believe many people use Ti-85/86 calculators. I think it's quite safe to drop support for it :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Well 84+ non-silver edition is suppose to be 1mb. However, I could never test the 84+. I couldn't get a rom, no one has those. So it is at all possible that that doesn't work flat out.

You could also try the 83+ Silver CLC file that is include with flash debugger. Fundamentally the only difference between the 84+SE and the 83+SE on the emulator is the Clock functionality.

I would say drop 85/86 support.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I have a 84+ not-se, if you still want to test it..
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

I have been playing around with some new 3d line interpolation code which does a much better job of clipping - going all the way to the edge of the screen and ultra precise. There's still a couple of little bugs but it's looking good:

Demo file has been updated but be careful, I can't guarantee a crash-free experience with this version, though the only problems I've encountered is the occasional oddly clipped polygon.

King Harold wrote:I have a 84+ not-se, if you still want to test it..
It should be ok - I'll figure something out. Thanks anyway. :)
"I don't know why a refrigerator is now involved, but put that aside for now". - Jim e on unitedti.org

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey the precise clipping looks great qarnos, you got any good docs on polygon clipping lying around?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

tr1p1ea wrote:Hey the precise clipping looks great qarnos, you got any good docs on polygon clipping lying around?
Not off the top of my head. The algorithm I use is a home-brewed method which I plan on writing a doc on at some point because it has good performance benefits over the usual method of clipping the polygon to one plane at a time (ie: clip against the top plane, then clip the resulting polygon against the bottom, then clip the resulting... etc, etc)

You might try Googling Sutherland-Hodgeman clipping - that's a good starting point.

arglactable

Post by arglactable »

OMG! Quarnos, you're awesome! You have suppressed the urge for me to *falls to the ground, shaking fist at life.* This is a truly amazing project.
JoostinOnline

Post by JoostinOnline »

Why is there an entire page missing? This is page 17, but it says there are 18 pages :?
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

post removed
Last edited by DJ_O on Fri 11 Jan, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

Just a quick update of the demo today. Progress has been slow since I've been working on a couple of other things, including converting by comments to be Vera-friendly, so I can release some useful docs when I release the source.

This demo contains a re-write of some of the clipping stuff so it *hopefully* should clip polygons properly all of the time now. Let me know if you notice any oddities.

The only other addition is in the status bar at the top of the screen. It now displays the current clipping mode:

DRAW - no clipping is being performed
CLIP - the object is being clipped
CULL - the object has been culled (not visible)

You will probably notice that most of the time it is in CLIP mode. This is probably due to the bounding being axis aligned, which means there is a lot of "wasted" space in the BB's. The boxes will be most efficient if you look at the runway edge-on.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I gave it a test run and it seems to work nicely. Didnt notice any strange clipping anomalies, great speed too :D.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

hey! nice work! haven't been on in a while, but its looking great :)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

qarnos, your e-mail address is bouncing all mails giving a SMTP Error (state 13): 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected. The Google Group for Vera doesn't really like it, and has stopped sending you mails. Contact me (if you've got a working address :)), and we can fix it.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

Timendus wrote:qarnos, your e-mail address is bouncing all mails giving a SMTP Error (state 13): 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected. The Google Group for Vera doesn't really like it, and has stopped sending you mails. Contact me (if you've got a working address :)), and we can fix it.
Oops! For some reason Google was configured to use my old email address, even though I had updated it. Should be fixed now.

Thanks for the heads-up.