Jackal

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Spengo wrote:well, IF and WHEN you get around to it, could you add smooth scrolling? snapping to grids annoys me even though it is easier to make saved games that way.
Why would smoothscrolling make saving harder?
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Thanks Toaster. Since I don't have a lot of time to code lately, I'm hoping to work on some artwork soon. I'll have to play through the game again and take some terrain screenshots so I can start that conversion. The airport level won't be that hard, but the first 2 levels (forest and the "collesium"-like one) might be a little difficult.

I'm not sure what Spengo means with saved games. Luckily there are no saved games in Jackal, so there's not much to worry about. I'll most likely make this smoothscrolling, if it doesn't take down the performance that much.
Toaster
Extreme Poster

Post by Toaster »

So is there any updates?? :D
Join me at:
http://nanotech.pcriot.com
or
http://emancipal.co.nr

Coming soon..
Rewrite 3D Level Editor - 55% done!!
Emancipal - The Creator 5% done
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Nope. :) I'm in dead week right now, next week is finals, then spring break. I'll be in Vegas, so no coding there. This quarter was way too busy for me, so I had no time to work on this. I did modify a few things here and there, and worked on the art a little, but nothing too big. When I start this project up again, I think I'm going to work on:

-graphics
-smooth scrolling / tilemap improvements (though, it's pretty flexible as is)
-shooting (guns and grenades / missles)
-enemies / their AI

in that order. Sounds like a plan.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Wow, this thread almost made it to the second page. Shows how much I've worked on this lately.... :P

Anyway, I braved the long untouched territory, and opened up this project folder. After a few minutes of browsing around, reaquainting myself, I felt a little better. I wanted to do something, so I wrote some code for animated tiles. Give me a break, I needed to do something simple after not touching the code for months. After finally getting it working I realized that the tiles I was animating were the temporary ones that weren't even going to be in the game. =\ oh well. The code is there in case I need it later.

So then I figured I'd work on graphics. I had had some problems with CalcGS (copy/paste in the tiles seems to mess up the map). I found some awesome tools (GBTD and GBMB). Obviously they're designed for Gameboy dev, but with some fiddling of the output they work flawlessly for the calcs. Almost flawlessly that is. You can't insert tiles in the middle of the set, which I know will become a problem later. So, back to CalcGS it is, I just need to make sure not to copy / paste.

When did this turn from an update into a random train of thought? Quick, new screenshot:
Just a quick shot of the new terrain, with this as a guide. And the SS was taken with PTI of course. CoBB, this is one of many features that will make this the top emulator, no doubt. Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know I'm still working on this project. :D

//edit: updated the pic to show the trees. Might need a little F5 love. They need work, I know. *goes to read the pixel tutorial thread.
Last edited by blueskies on Tue 26 Apr, 2005 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

wow...this is still b&w right? Looks fast and very true...but I still would like to see those jeep sprites of mine in there! :wink: All in all, I guess 8x8 is ok. I really do like to see progress on this game though Blue...please try and keep us posted! :)
The Revolution is here...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Thank god :D, im glad you have been modivated to countiue.
and it looks great :o
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

I still have those jeep sprites madskillz, and they really do rock. I'm just not sure if I want to make the sprites 16x16. Though it would be nice to have that turning animation in there...
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Wow, this looks much better. :) For some reason it kind of looks like its in greyscale...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm I guess he forgot to set the contrast in PTI properly, but it still look cool

*now dlling PTI to try it*
ImageImageImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Will there be any diagonal movement?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Yes, if I can get the diagonal sprite to look decent in 8x8.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

well if you really want 8x8...ok, even though I think 16x16 is much better! :wink: You wanna post a pic of your sprites. I drew some 8x8 diagonal sprites, that might work. Can you post your current sprites? Just wanna compare and fix them up to match. It is really hard to get detail in these little jeeps! I think they look alright though.
The Revolution is here...
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

jeep (x4):

map:

dang gifs and their little artifacts...
Toaster
Extreme Poster

Post by Toaster »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Sweet Those are cool!! 8) I think the jeep needs a little work though?? :? But other than that this looks like a sweet game!! :)
Join me at:
http://nanotech.pcriot.com
or
http://emancipal.co.nr

Coming soon..
Rewrite 3D Level Editor - 55% done!!
Emancipal - The Creator 5% done