[PC] Allegro based online RPG

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

[PC] Allegro based online RPG

Post by Patori »

I'm currently working on a sprite based online RPG.

It's going to be throwback a bit; with SNES era style graphics.

It's main focus will be on jobs, people may change their jobs whenever. (probably with some limits, such as 5 minutes out of battle, etc.)

Characters, Jobs, Abilities, and equipment all will have levels.

So far with the game, i have animated, masked tilemapping systems, masked and animated character movement, object and enemy display.

The maps are animated, with 4 frames of animation each, per tile. Not all tiles are animated, obviously.

I've created a rudimentary update system, that downloads a text file with instructions to the program on how to update to a newer version over HTTP. News can be loaded the same way.

I haven't worked on multiple resolutions, so obviously it doesn't work with all computers currently.

There's a bunch of stuff, and a lot of thought put into it.

Basically, what I'm looking for is some support, and getting a small community together.

I don't think I'll need much help coding, I think I definitely will need some pixel art help.

Anyways, the current dev forum is here: http://destinyonline.s2.bizhat.com/

There's not a lot of content there, if you have a question let me know, or message me.

There are some tiny builds with only character movement and a layout together. Nothing major.

Thanks, and long time no see,

Patori :drifter: :drifter: <- I miss drifter :(
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: [PC] Allegro based online RPG

Post by benryves »

It's good to see work on a project. :) It sounds interesting and I hope you can find people to help (I wouldn't be much help on the graphics myself).

How are you going to handle the online aspect?

If you're going to go for a community-driven project, would it not be a good idea to use some sort of project hosting (eg Google Code)? That would at least allow people to collaborate on the different parts of the project easily, and they also allow you to host binaries in a slightly easier-to-manage way than a forum (and without relying on free file sharing hosts).
Patori wrote:It's going to be throwback a bit; with SNES era style graphics.
I think the "throwback" description would apply less to the SNES graphics and more the Atari/DOS game programming library. ;) (Why Allegro?)
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

Well, I'm planning on basing it on my own computer momentarily. I have a basic server / client system that I'm working on that uses sockets, of course. I plan to actually purchase webspace once I get the ball rolling a bit; and probably have a definite name for the project. I don't actually want to have the code freely available; except maybe the gui library that I'm working on for security reasons.

I have a couple of other programmers that I know personally that help with some debugging and stuff. I'm looking for support along the lines of testing, ideas, pixel art and game balance/design.

Also, allegro's progressed quite a bit since the last time I looked at it. I'm really just liking playing around in it, and I've been able to accomplish everything I wanted to so far.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

http://patori.mine.nu/downloads/ Latest Builds, windows binary.