Pokemon Stadium - Battle Simulator in the works

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

metagross111

Pokemon Stadium - Battle Simulator in the works

Post by metagross111 »

A game of my own, a Pokemon Battle Simulator! I like programming and I happened to like Pokemon. Plus, there wasn't a slew of satisfactory Pokemon games on the calc to interest me, so I started working on my own.

In the latest version, there are 6 Pokemon and 22 Attacks. Unfortunately, I have not yet programmed the special effects of moves beyond Quick Attack ( thereby explaining Eevee's use of Substitute resulting in low damage for Pikachu, it was simply read as a Normal attack with 0 Power in the screenshot ). Critical Hit, status, and accuracy are also lacking, though they would come in simple extensions of the program. The game does have graphical battles ( sans battle animation, for NOW ) and does pay attention to type advantage and STAB. The core of this engine is the TRUE battle formula, not just something I thought up.

Right now, this version is hugely limited. You just simply beat each other with attacks. Obviously, Bulbasaur may have a main advantage with a SolarBeam it can use every turn, but meh.... it really doesn't have that type advantage yet, huh? I guess you might win with a starter like Charmander, or more likely, Dratini. But I'm rambling. In any case, it works smoothly and I managed to piece together a nice stable version. V0.07. V0.07 is the latest version, incorporating accuracy into its formula. Next version will include Critical hits, and easy task.

However, because I'm lazy, I won't upload a newer version here until, oh.... v0.19, perhaps. Possibly earlier. Oh well, too bad. You guys are gonna have to test out v0.05. :P

Hope to greatly improve on this later. Hope you guys like it.

I decided to write up a Version Schedule. This way you can see what aspect I'm going to work on next in order. I think it's also a good way to keep me focused.

Future Versions:

Version 0.09 - Critical Hits will be enabled. The trigger for moves with improved Critical Hit odds will also be enabled now, though it will not be used, as their are no such attacks programmed yet.
Version 0.11 - Damaging attacks with singular additional effects will be enabled. This includes Mega Drain, and attacks with the recoil effect. This does not include status or stat mods.
Version 0.13 - Moves that have stat modifications such as Growl or Sand Attack will be enabled. This includes attacks that have a stat mod as a secondary effect. This does not include Burn status, moves that inflict Burn status, or Rage.
Version 0.15 - Status infliction from any primary status-inflicting move, such as Thunder Wave, Toxic, Substitute, or Leech Seed will be enabled, though not neccessarilly implemented.
Version 0.16 - Status infliction from any secondary status-inflicting move, such as Thunder, Rage, or Fire Blast will be enabled, though not neccessarilly implemented.
Version 0.17 - Status will be implemented. This includes Burn, Paralysis, and Poison. Sleep and Freeze will be added later when attacks that inflict those statuses are introduced. The endangering powers of Toxic will also be enabled in this version.
Version 0.19 - Leech Seed status will be implemented. The Toxic/Leech Seed glitch will also be implemented to stay true to Pokemon R/B programming.
Version 0.21 - Substitute status will finally be implemented! This could be one of the hardest attacks to program, next to Transform. Substitute would be incorporated throughout the entire engine.
Version 0.23 - Solarbeam's one turn delay will be enabled. Hopefully, this will stop Bulbasaur from becoming too overpowered. Actually, that's unlikely to happen till now, as the other Pokemon are somewhat resistant to Grass, save Squirtle.
Version 0.25 - Wrap special multi-hit engine will be enabled, and so will the Rage status. Actually, Rage is pretty useless, isn't it? Especially on Charmander.
Version 0.27 - The sprite system needs to be totally redone. Technically, the system wont handle sprites much larger than now, and this can be a problem for larger sprites. There won't be a noticeable difference, I'll just be able to use larger sprites like Onix.
Version 0.29 - I want to enable a Substitute graphic. In fact, I might need help for that little doodad, so If any of you can draw a Substitute sprite, that would be awesome.
Version 0.30 and beyond - At this point, all content in the current game is fully enabled. But there is oh so much stuff to add, in addition to more Pokemon and attacks. I had a list here...Multiple Pokemon Teams. I want to have at least a battle where trainers have at least three Pokemon. I'm also aiming for the inclusion of trainer sprites, as well as some really cheap battle animations. Level Selection and Link Battles are another couple of features I want to add. At some point, once I've programmed in around 30 Pokemon, a workable game can made, with a series of specific trainers to beat with a rental team. However this is all just speculation. We'll just have to wait and see.

This schedule is only a guide. I may not follow it exactly this way, And I cannot predict well how long all this could take. If you guys have any suggestions, please post them. I hope to eventually get more screenshots up.
Attachments
Pokemon Stadium v0.05.zip
My Pokemon Simulator, v0.05!!
(42.86 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Pokemon Stadium - Battle Simulator in the works

Post by benryves »

I can't say I know much about Pokémon, but this certainly plays well and looks slick. :) Keep up the good work, and welcome to MaxCoderz!
metagross111

Post by metagross111 »

thanks for the welcome ^_^

:/ i probably wont frequent this board too much, though. I'll update whenever, but i already post at like 3 other forums <_<;;;;;

but whatever. its great to be here!
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

As a former pokemon fan I must say this looks very good for a pure basic game, nice graphics, smooth gameplay.

However it's only a battle engine...
tifreak8x is remaking the whole pokemon game in (almost) ti-basic. :P
metagross111

Post by metagross111 »

driesguldolf wrote:As a former pokemon fan I must say this looks very good for a pure basic game, nice graphics, smooth gameplay.

However it's only a battle engine...
tifreak8x is remaking the whole pokemon game in (almost) ti-basic. :P
First of all, thanks for your comments. second of all, i wish i could say it's a pure basic game, but it's not. it has some heavy use of tr1plea's xLib application, particularly the commands that create xtemp programs.

finally, it is a simulator now, but ive only worked on this for a few months and decided even back then that the pokemon battles were far more important, than say ascii maps and other rpg elements. no one has successfully created a battle engine for pokemon on the ti-83+, and tifreak8x may not be able to concentrate on that particular aspect anyway for quite some time. its only a simulator now, but those arent my only plans. i'll develop the simulator to contain more rpg elements, and at some point may even have the privilege of releasing a game for it. until then, i dont expect you to be too impressed yet.

in addition, i just finished an update that enabled some attack effects, including mega drain and double-edge.
metagross111

Post by metagross111 »

wooo, i forgot this site existed lol.

I'm still working on the game, guys, but i started from scratch and started spriting my own pokemon instead of copying others. wish I could explain in greater detail but I don't feel like it XD

look for me on irc or email me if you're really interested. I will, however, show you guys a small sampling of the sprites.

ImageImage
Galandros

Post by Galandros »

wow wow

Nice sprites. Really good looking.

Any news of progress on the Battle Engine?
metagross111

Post by metagross111 »

Galandros wrote:wow wow

Nice sprites. Really good looking.

Any news of progress on the Battle Engine?
not as fully-featured as the other one, but it's faster and smaller, and has room for more. I'm still working on creating the best possible engine for CelticIII.

The old one was entirely basic, except for xlib graphics.