I think I should finish bubble bobble

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

I think I should finish bubble bobble

Post by Dwedit »

I think I should finally fix the linkplay for Bubble Bobble, and add an ending.
Any help with linkplay? How would I go about performing working link IO?
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: I think I should finish bubble bobble

Post by benryves »

Bell could be worth a look (working forum link is here).
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

Just for the record, I've had bubble bobble shut off durring gameplay and cause a memory reset a couple of times. There was also some other weird error that I had occur, but i cant remember exactly what it was :?:( I think maybe i had some weird garbage on the screen during gameplay) . I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary that would have caused the crash either . I'm sure krunchy os and xlib were on there, but i dont know what else. This was the app version of the game running on my TI 83+ SE. Sorry for the lack of details as this was some time ago, but I thought It'd be worth mentioning.
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Is Bell compatible with the TI83+SE or TI84+ series? I see nothing in there to suggest that.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I don't see why it wouldn't be. If TI83P is defined all should be good.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes! Make us happy by finishing it and make Timendus happy by using Bell :D.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

The TI83+SE and TI84+ don't have a link port controlled the same way. My existing code which works on the TI83+ fails on the TI83+SE and TI84+.
Those calcs instead use the link assist port to transmit data. Code written to turn the lines up and down fails.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I see. I was unaware that you couldn't access the link port directly on the 83+SE and higher! WikiTI doesn't mention this. Is there no way of disabling the link assist on these calculators?

(That said, the first AT keyboard routines I saw had a photo of them running on a TI-83+ SE, which requires direct access to the port).
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

I once tried the link assist disable feature, but the code still didn't work on the TI83+SE. Still not sure if I was correctly using the link assist disable.
Never mind that I have absolutely no calcs other than a single TI83 to test this stuff out with.
If anyone with two 83+SE's/84+'s wants to help me fix the game, they're welcome to tell me what to modify in my source and build a new copy.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

Well, I don't know anything about link programming. But if you figure out how to get the linking to work I have a TI 83+ SE, a TI 83+ BE, and my brother has a TI 84+ SE. So if you need any testing done on calc between these hardware models, I don't mind helping. Brandon W. seems to know an awful lot about hardware, perhaps you could ask him about the linking?
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
calc84maniac

Post by calc84maniac »

benryves wrote:I see. I was unaware that you couldn't access the link port directly on the 83+SE and higher! WikiTI doesn't mention this. Is there no way of disabling the link assist on these calculators?

(That said, the first AT keyboard routines I saw had a photo of them running on a TI-83+ SE, which requires direct access to the port).
I'm completely sure that direct access to the link port (i.e. hardware port 0) works the same way on all of the models. However, it's the link assist that works differently between the models.
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Hello all, good to be back :)

I'm not sure about the link assist, seeing that all I can test with are old TI83s and PTI. However, I tried to use the information on the wikiti as much as possible, and I thought I'd added a few port writes to disable the link assist. Looking through the code I can't see those writes though, so perhaps I only did that in the CLAP library.

Either way, I suggest you use the library. There's no need to reinvent the wheel every time, and you can consider Bell as open source, so if people want additional functionality for their own calculator models, I suggest they improve Bell and send it to you ;) Or you could improve on it / rewrite it as you see fit. If you keep the interface the same, we should all benefit from that.

If you run into trouble, feel free to ask questions. At the moment I don't really plan on improving it or fixing bugs myself though, sorry :) I wouldn't mind slapping a license on it though..?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS