[PC] Skate

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

soinsg

[PC] Skate

Post by soinsg »

Does anyone remember Skate? I started making a desktop version and thought I'd share it with everyone here.

I wasn't sure where to put it so I'm trying sendspace for now:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9scnkc

It's still work in progress, some things I want to add are:
- Add the credits scroller (added July 2).
- Find a grinding sound effect (added July 2).
- Improve/remake the player model.
- Generate level vertices instead of translating cubes around so the lighting looks better.
- Try model animations.
- Add another set of "rooms", with more rails so the "balancing" can be used more.
- Maybe add a tricks system, or at least more stats like air time and grind time.

Screenshot:
Last edited by soinsg on Wed 02 Jul, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

170 seconds, not that good! :(

Good job on this version! I especially like the rotated camera effect, it caught me by surprise the first time it appeared. :)

The calculator game was based on an existing PC game, which had more features than I implemented (including tricks and speeding up/slowing down the player). Some blocks would also cause the player to crash if he hit them at all.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Looks pretty sweet, and the camera effect is pretty nifty :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
soinsg

Post by soinsg »

Thanks for trying it out.

I had a look at the original using dosbox, and so far only made one change based on it. That is when jumping, on the way up the board now tilts instead of on the way down, looks slightly better I think.

I'm a bit torn between remaking the levels in more detail/higher resolution to match the original. I think I will stick with the TI levels for their simplicity.

As for all the other features the original has, I think maybe there are too many buttons for a beginner? So I will drop the variable speed and go for tricks and a scoring system instead.

I've since added the credits scroller, something I really wanted to do using the stencil buffer (as a learning experience). I also found a grinding sound effect.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

It seems to run perfectly under linux as well (Debian sid amd64) with wine, even the sound works fine.