Monopoly

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

kRoot has hopped back on the Monopoly wagon :) He's been completing up the save routines and working on implementing the option to load games. He's also written the save routine for the 83. And the chance routine has been fixed, and you're stuck in jail if you get sent there (and don't collect $200 on your way there!). Multiplayer implementation is getting closer and closer, as well.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Hmm..it's been two weeks since I've touched Monopoly. But new things have been done since the last update, I think. Currently, everything works flawlessly. That's not to say that it's complete or that all the intricacies are done, just that it doesn't display anything incorrectly or crash your calculator. Fairly soon kRoot and I are probably going to need beta testers.

One sweet super mega cool addition is that now, if you aren't in jail, it sets you to the "Just Visiting" part of the tile. I know, amazing!

And I think the save routine works competely, but the load routine is still in progress (kRoot's working on it). I'm actually trying to figure out what needs to be done next, as I don't really remember. It was something, I know, but I just can't remember.

Monopoly was dead for two weeks, but it should be alive for this weekend at least.

EDIT: I take that back about everything working. Nothing will crash your calc, that holds true. But everything does NOT work perfectly. Ugh.
EDIT: Everything, again, works. I hate the stack. I sincerely hate it. Hate.
EDIT: I'm losing so much inspiration. Not just to write this program. But in everything. I just don't ever feel like doing anything. Until I somehow get over this slump progress will continue, but probably very slowly.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Does anyone want to start beta testing monopoly?
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

I'll beta test if I can get the beta this weekend (the only weekend I have access to TI-Connect for two weeks).

My e-mail is: floodkiller322@yahoo.com
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Excellent! I'm going to try to add in a few things real quick and then I'll e-mail it to you. Really, the things I need are how to make it more aesthetic, particularly the character selection screen. kRoot suggested that I get rid of the options screen and add everything into the character selection screen, which isn't a bad idea.

And there really isn't a whole lot you can do, as it's only one player so far. I just need a lot of feedback and if you come across any errors PLEASE let me know! Thanks!
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

I'm willing to beta test as well, if you're willing to let me :)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Ooh, sounds like fun. Sure, I can test for you. I have many copies of the original game and instructions, so I can test things to the finer degrees of accuracy. Count me in, if you can please!

thegamefreak0134@yahoo.com

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

ISUCK wrote:I'm willing to beta test as well, if you're willing to let me :)
Haha, I'm willing to let anybody (who wants to) test it :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

http://revsoft.org/phpBB2/download.php?id=195
Haha see if that works.

Really, what I need the most help with is how to make it more aesthetic, particularly the character selection screen. kRoot suggested that I get rid of the options screen and add everything into the character selection screen, which isn't a bad idea.

Please keep in mind that this is a very early beta, and it's still only singleplayer. The multiplayer support is basically ninety-nine percent complete, I just need to add in the option to select how many players your game has.

One big thing that I would like help with is if you see a Chance or Community Card where the text goes outside of the box. If you come across one that does, could you let me know? I also just added in the doubles detection (3 in a row=jailtime and if you are in jail, doubles release you), and I just found a bug as I was uploading it (where the calculator crashed if you had three doubles) and hopefully fixed it, but it's rather difficult to test for the doubles. But watch out for any problems that may have arisen from getting doubles.

Also, I might look into speeding up the screen where you view your properties. What it currently does is recheck the board and redisplay the screen every time you move the cursor up or down (a byproduct of laziness)!

If you want, I might compile a list of people who can regularly check the program and I can e-mail the updates directly to you or something. We'll see. I'm still new to this whole "beta testing" thing.

Hmm...I guess all I can ask is that you be as critical as you can when you go through the program, and thank you for the help!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I gave it a shot, and I do have a suggestion to make it better looking. How about making it slow down a bit as the piece moves? It would be better if it jumped or slid from square to square slowly enough so you could see the "ground" it's covering, IMHO. Other that that, it looks nice.

Hmm, for the the character selection screen, how about having the full monopoly board display, with the part being shown by the screen slide/bounce around, like the screen is bouncing around the gameboard like one of those bouncing square screensavers? or you could just put the options there. :mrgreen:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Yea, the only issue with slowing down the movement of the screen is that it looks choppy because the board jumps 16 pixels at a time. I wrote a few simple routines to shift the screen accordingly one pixel at a time, but it takes up an extra bit of memory. I've been thinking about rewriting the entire tilemap, I've already written a smoothscrolling tilemap engine. Also, there are more screenshots on the RevSoft board:

http://www.revsoft.org/phpBB2/download.php?id=200

ImageThe new property display (ignore the last thing it lands on, that's been fixed now haha).

ImageThe new chance display routine (the box size varies depending on how many lines of text).

ImageThe board has 16 more pixels shown at the right side. Yay or nay?

And also you no longer have to hit a key like ten times to go through all those pop up boxes, all the information is displayed at once. :)
cartj

Post by cartj »

yay, I like it
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I prefer to see more of the board on the screen. We only have a small resolution to work with, so make the most of it!
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Goddamnit, I miss all you guys. I am living homeless/hopping trains for the most part now and haven't had much computer access. Besides, the laptop I had all of this work on is going funky, but the actual harddrive is intact. It's been this way for many months now (about, say, january or february of this year?). I am no good with Linux, but programming calculators has been my one passion for so long and I always miss it. I really want to complete this game...

If anyone is any good with Linux (I am running ubuntu) and could help me either pull the files off my harddrive somehow or fix whatever is preventing my laptop from loading, ahhh I don't know what I would do but I would be so very happy! I have been getting a message saying "can't access tty; job control turned off". When I press ctrl alt f1 it tells me also "Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init".

There is almost no feeling I have ever felt like spending an entire day coding, getting frustrated, and at the very end (about 4 or 5 in the morning) it all just clicks together. Ah god I'm rambling now, but I do sincerely miss all you lads.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

chickendude wrote:Goddamnit, I miss all you guys. I am living homeless/hopping trains for the most part now and haven't had much computer access.
I'm sorry to hear that. :( It's a great shame to lose a productive member of the community.
There is almost no feeling I have ever felt like spending an entire day coding, getting frustrated, and at the very end (about 4 or 5 in the morning) it all just clicks together.
Heh, it is indeed a great feeling!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your Linux issues. You can probably retrieve your important files by booting off a live disk and copying them to some external device.

Good luck with everything!