Monopoly

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Monopoly

Post by chickendude »

Hey everyone. I guess I've been pretty absent for about 2 years. Well three of my calculators got stolen, one was lost, and one was given to my sister. Leaving me with: 0.

Well, anyway, I don't know if any of you remember the monopoly game I had intended on making a while back? Well, I'm considering picking it back up. I'm not sure why, but revisting the ticalc.org forums and reactivating my account made me feel slightly nostalgic for those late-night programming shifts. I'll be testing it on VTI, as I still don't have a calculator, but I did complete a large amount of the groundwork (tilemaps, piece animations, functional movement around the board) when I just lost interest in everything for favor of new friends and such.

Well, I'm well off enough now that I can actively participate in this community and maintain my social status :).

So I would like to announce the reopening of the Monopoly project (keep in mind, I haven't touched assembly in 2 years, so it will probably take me a couple months to get back into the flow). I look forward to coming back into the community.

Hope your welcome still stands.
:)

EDIT:
Oh, and I hope I haven't been totally forgotten by those "veterans" who stuck it through. :)

EDIT2:
I just found some old pictures/movies and such of the project here

EDIT#62:
Alright, I'm going to make a list of things that I either need to do or will need.

AI:
- looking at various ways
- "In all, during game play, Illinois Avenue (Trafalgar Square), New York Avenue (Vine Street), B&O Railroad (Fenchurch Street Station), and Reading Railroad (King's Cross Station) are the most frequently landed-upon properties. Mediterranean Avenue (Old Kent Road) and Baltic Avenue (Whitechapel Road) are the least-landed-upon properties."
- MAKE A LIST OF THE PROPERTIES, FROM MOST VALUABLE TO LEAST to use for trading and buying
hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/prob/table5_group.gif
hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table1a_return.gif
hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table2a_return.gif
hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table2b_return.gif
Cost to develop: hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table3a_cost.gif
hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table3b_cost.gif
dice throws to make money back:
hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table4a_pay.gif
hose to build first: hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/table6_delta.gif

"Utilising the Rate of Return
The data contained in tables 1a and 1b are some of the most useful for the analysis of the game of Monopoly. By summing the average returns of a players property holdings it is possible to estimate that player's rate of income; calculating these figures for all the players in a game would show who, at that particular moment in time, was earning the most from his opponents and thus allow a prediction of the eventual winner. Although this method makes no allowances for the possibility of future purchases it is simple enough that, if the calculations were computerised, the predictions could be updated after each turn.
Summing the rate of returns is also a useful tool in decision making situations, as illustrated by the following example: A player who is short of cash wishes to raise £150, he may do so either by mortgaging Regent Street or by mortgaging both Trafalgar Square and Old Kent Road. Studying table 1a reveals that mortgaging Regent Street will deny him £0.65 per turn whereas Trafalgar Square and Old Kent Road have a combined rate of income of only £0.57. Therefore, with all other factors being equal, such as neither property being part of a completed set, it would be more cost-effective to mortgage Trafalgar Square and Old Kent Road, although the difference is marginal. This solution would not have been so clear without the rate of return information as on first impressions it would seem that loosing only one street rather than two would be preferable. "

"1500 is the money awarded to each player at the beginning of the game and is therefore the most obvious starting point for this analysis. However, during the first few tours of the board, before property has been developed or even collected, the expenses incurred by a player's piece are likely to be low and significantly outweighed by the positive effects of passing Go. Therefore we may expect players to be able to achieve assets totalling more than there initial funding, possibly around 2000."

"In the first of these tables, with a 1000 limit, the Light Blue group is clearly the best option, offering a rate of return that is greater than its two nearest competitors combined. As the price is raised to 1500 the Oranges rise to become the market leaders, with the Light Blues providing the main opposition and the Pinks a little further behind.

At 2000 the Oranges remain dominant, strengthening their position even further by reaching the lowest payback rate in the game. The Yellow group is now potentially the primary threat, albeit a little over budget. At this stage the Pinks, Reds and Dark Blues are all surprisingly well matched with almost equal returns, the Light Blues however have dropped back significantly due to the lack of any further investment options. "

Options:
- All taxes/fees into center pot, land on Free Parking to receive (easy)
- Build houses if all properties sold (regardless of monopoly) (easy)
- The last streets will be given for free to random players?
- $400 for landing on GO (vs 200 for passing it) (easy)
- No rent earned while in jail (easy)
- $686 (one of each bill) bonus for rolling snake eyes
- Unlimited houses and hotels.
- houses cost $50 each, and hotels cost $100 each.
- No "build evenly" restriction on improving properties.
- Not having auctions when a player passes on his chance to buy the property he lands on or neglects to stake his claim.
- Delayed Start: Players must pass GO before they can buy property.
- Properties are auctioned as soon as they are landed on
- All properties are handed out evenly to all players before the game begins, or one or two are dealt to each player.
- The fourth house step in building is skipped (after building three houses, the next step is a hotel)

Boards:
- US
- UK
- Other requests?

Variables:
- Keep track of houses left (only 32 houses)
- hotels (only 12 hotels available)
- player data: bits, in order left to right: |1-mortgage| |3-player id| |1-hotels/motels flag| |3-number of hotels| to extract data: AND the unnec. bits, then shift over till it sits at the right. :)
- still thinking of stuff. This is just me thinking out loud so I can TRY to stay organized.

Other:
- https://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/wizard/rent.htm important figures! So I don't have to look at all the property cards
http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/wizard/i ... _build.gif
http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/wizard/break.htm
http://www.tkcs-collins.com/truman/mono ... poly.shtml

This is HUGE:
It is a good idea to purchase the majority of property that you land on during the early stages of the game as the tactic has many benefits:
Properties can be used as a bargaining tool when it comes to purchasing property from opponents. Players are often far more willing to trade for deeds than to simply sell outright, in some cases it will even be possible to sell a property for profit.
Purchasing a wide range of sites gives a better chance of obtaining a full set quickly. It is far easier to buy sites straight from the bank rather than negotiate with other players.
Holding a good selection of property also allows the opportunity to hinder an opponent's progress. As long as you are not struggling for money there is no reason why you should have to sell properties; although beware that if other players perceive this to be gamesmanship then they may be reluctant to deal with you when you need to trade.
Failing to buy property that you land on will lead to the site being auctioned off, with the possibility that one of your opponents will be able to purchase the deeds at a greatly reduced price.

As mentioned above, players should aim to purchase as much property as possible. To this end, during the early stages of the game, it is sensible to pay bail on the first turn in order to get out of Jail and be able to continue buying. However, as the game progresses Jail offers a nice way to avoid paying heavy rents and, since there is no penalty to being inside, players may be advised to stay for as long as possible!

Build houses as soon as possible:
Due to the increases in rent that may be charged, housing is generally more economical the more money is invested in it. As long as the payback time decreases, any expenditure will actually leave you better off more quickly. A primary aim should be to reach the level of three houses as this generates the greatest increase in earned income.
Building to the level of four houses or even hotels may be necessary later in the game, in order to bankrupt opponents. This is especially important with the less expensive groups to prevent other players developing more costly properties.
By constructing houses early it may be possible to dissuade opponents from developing their own sites by forcing them to save money to pay your rents. Even if this only postpones players building for a few turns this will still confer an advantage, as undeveloped sites are not a financial threat.
Be cautious not to overspend on houses however, as having to sell them back to the bank at half of their value can be a costly mistake. Use the Rate of Return to determine the best order in which to place houses if you cannot afford to build on each member of a set at once.

Focus spending on one particular group rather than spreading money across a range of projects. It is generally more profitable to own one set with a compliment of four houses than it is to own two groups, each with only two houses.
Do not be afraid to mortgage property that you hold if you need extra cash as the cost of mortgaging is only the 10% interest charge, which will quickly be regenerated if the proceeds are invested wisely. Consult table1a, detailing the rates of return, to determine which properties it would be most economical to mortgage. Consider especially mortgaging any spare properties you own once a set has been completed as this will free more money to buy houses and reach the quicker payback periods
Last edited by chickendude on Wed 12 Jul, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I saw you'd joined (at the bottom)... Welcome! Good to see you back in action again. :)

As a replacement to the slightly erratic VTI, I strongly recommend you give PindurTI a whirl.

I look forwards to seeing any screenshots and progress :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Thanks! I've been looking around lately and it seems you've become quite an adept, active member of the community. I'm a little upset to think that I could be closer to your current caliber had I not gone into such a substantial interim. :)

And I posted a link to some pictures in another update to that post, if you want to check them out.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Impressive screenshots they are too :D There seems to be a lot (most of it!) already there, albeit in different programs... how much is there really to do, if you were to link the various existing bits together?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey welcome back chickendude! I havent forgotten about Monopoly ... oh no :).

Its exciting that you're back, as are those screenies :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hey, nice to meet you. I wasn't around when you were here before(and no, I'm not the old CompWiz, that was someone else)

The screenshots look nice. I can't wait to try out the finished game.
Along with using PindurTI for calc emulation, also make sure to check out Latenite, a great z80 editor with lots of features, and Brass, a new compiler that works better than TASM. There is also EarlyMorning, a sprite and map editor. LateNite, Brass, Early Morning, and PindurTI also can all work together to greatly aid your programming. You can do all your code, sprites, compiling, and realistic calculator testing all in this one programming suite. Try it out. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well, honestly I'm not sure (I'm at work right now, and I just had some incorporeal revelation that I should pick up this project again).

I know that, as far as linking the programs, it's all just cut and paste (if I remember correctly, I believe I've already integrated the programs).

I really just have to peruse the source files again to see what's up. I know that landing on a tile doesn't actually do anything, however. And..I guess once that's done I just need to add the bells and whistles. I'll update more on how far along I am when I get home and see how much of it I actually remember :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Oh and thanks CompWiz. I've got my notepad and batch files sitting on the computer somewhere, maybe it's time for an update, hah. I saw those programs listed under the MaxCoderz projects section, were they developed by someone here?Also, are they widelyspread? My old computer doesn't have internet connection anymore (and hasn't been turned on in over 6 or 7 months), so I'll have to download them onto a disk (the cd drive is broken) and transfer that way, but I'll definitely check 'em out!
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I'm to blame for Latenite and Brass; kv83 developed/is developing EarlyMorning.

Latenite has stagnated quite a lot in recent months (so it's not as tight as I'd like it, but I still prefer it over Notepad), and make sure you read the last couple of posts in the Brass as I've been crushing bugs left, right and centre recently :| Brass is 99% backwards compatible with TASM, so there should (hopefully!) not be too many issues transferring the source.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hey chickendude man. What's up. Long time no see... Guess what, I switched side (from Greenlight to MaxCoderz) :twisted:

Nice to see Monopoly is back. Do you still have contact with KRoot? You guys were working on it together when IIRC?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Yea, I was just about to ask about greenlight (in fact, I was sent to this topic when I did a search for greenlight to see what had happened to it). I believe I had his aim somewhere, but I'm afraid I've deleted it. Hopefully I've got it on my computer somewhere :/

Actually, I believe he lives only 20 or 30 minutes from my house. Hm.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

You can find KRoot here:
http://www.revsoft.org/phpBB2/profile.p ... rofile&u=6

He is staff at Revolution Software, just like Madskillz... :) His last post was on Sunday 11th June, so it's some weeks ago. His AIM on his profile should be up to date though :)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

kroot is on AIM alot...his sn is rootwzd
I dont think he wants to get back into calc programming though, but once he sees chickendude is back who knows. He was looking to pick up on a small project, so helping you might just be the trick to getting him back!

welcome back by the way...I dont think you remember me, but Calvin got me into GreenFire, then when kv left (to join the dark side) Me and Calvin formed Revolution Software (www.revsoft.org)

Looking forward to the Monopoly, I remember seeing some old screenshot on the spitfire forum.
The Revolution is here...
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I wasn't around, but monopoly sounds good.

Good luck and welcome back I guess!!!
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I have informed KRoot.