Monopoly

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Yea, I'd say about 60 to 70 percent done.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Wow, the data for the sprites/tilemap is (according to Assembly Studio 8X) 3017 bytes. Coupled with the information about each tile (name, cost, what type of tile it is), it comes to 3843 bytes. If I just switch around the includes, that should be more than enough space...at least for a little while! My routine to display the properties is getting way out of control. When I finish it, I'll post it up here. It's such a mess!!!
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well no-one knows how to waste calc RAM like myself, ~4KB in data is not much to be worried about :).

My routines sometimes turn into big messes, its fun to read over them sometimes and wonder what it is you were thinking at the time :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Haha yea, I've already started overcommenting because I know I'll have no idea what's going on when I go back to try and optimize it.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I don't know why but I'm having a terrible time with this property display routine. It correctly displays the first seven properties you own (that's all that fits on the screen). Then, I have a little cursor thing on the side that, when you get to the bottom of the screen, should scroll down one property. However, since the next property you own isn't necessarily the next property on the board, it's getting way too tricky. I'm trying to store far too much data at once and it's making me all confused. I think I'm going to have to backtrack a bit and revamp a few pieces. Ugh. I've been working on it like all day!!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hmm, it sounds like you're making this far too complicated. It may be better if you take a break from coding and try to rethink the logic of it. That has helped me in the past.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

So I finally got the routine to mostly work a couple days ago, then I realized that the way I had it set up would let you scroll down through your properties, but not back up to see the top of the list.

Example:
Screen1

You decide you want to see some more of your properties:

and some more...

Oh no! I forgot what the first property I had was!
(scroll up)
GARBAGE
GARBAGE
GARBAGE
GARBAGE

So I've started the entire thing over. I never expected this to be that difficult! It probably isn't. But once I get it done it'll help tremendously while debugging the other game structures. Once I get this piece done I'll start work on the Chance routine (which I've been incredibly anxious to start for some time now, but have been stuck on the stats screen).

Well, the stats screen should be finished tonight, if not it will be some time as I'm skipping class tomorrow and Friday to be with the fiance over the weekend. :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Stats Screen:
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Also, I'm not quite sure how to store the rent values. I'm afraid that I'll have to store a byte or two times five for each property. That's, what, close to 500 bytes? I can't find any predictable pattern that occurs in the rent values...can anyone provide some insight into this?

Also, as one final addition to the stats menu, I might add the cost of rent with one more house on the property.

EDIT: The stats are basically filled in. It grabs the number of houses, the price of the property, and the mortgage value. The other things I haven't implemented yet.

And what about the rent values? I'm really not sure how to do that without wasting a ton of space.
HELP
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Wow...tomorrow will have been two months since I've picked the project back up. It seems like it's been much longer than that! I am currently in the process of writing the options screen. I'll probably leave it alone for a bit and start working on more pressing things, like fully implementing the chance routine. I'm also planning to start adding in multiplayer functions (which is why I need the options menu: to find out how many players there are). Things should start wrapping themselves up very soon!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

That's great news. I'm glad to hear that you're finally in sight of the end. I'm sure it will feel nice to be able to relax and look back at the program you finished.

dibs on beta testing! :mrgreen:

so, are you planning to include an AI in this first version? Or are you waiting until the second version to make the super soaraway neural network AI that will undoubtedly win you z80 programming awards and a chance at the ticalc.org program of the year award? :D
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Haha, the first version will probably just be a 2 player version. I'm too anxious to wait until I have an AI developed!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, I agree. get it to a point where it's playable and release it. Then you can release a second version with the ai. :)
bfr

Post by bfr »

Excellent progress! Multiplayer mode will still be lots of fun...if I have somebody to play it with.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Sweet. Because you guys are so great, I decided to go through my source and delete unnecessary statements. You wouldn't believe how many times I had something like:
ld a,15
ld b,6
ld a,7

All in all, I probably shaved off like 40 or 50 bytes of things just like that, haha. I also fixed an error that has been plaguing the chance routine since it's conception. Stupid issue with TASM, I guess. Some more work has been done to the chance routine, although it does weird stuff when you quit (the whole screen flashes a bunch until you hit a key, then returns to mirageOS). Doesn't seem to clear the RAM or anything, but really freaky.