Space Dodgers

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Ben Ryves stepped over from VB6 to VB.Net and then to C#.net ... Ask him, he'll tell you that VB.Net is propably the better choice. (The pics on his site are from 2003... VS2005 wasn't around back then... :P) Don't get me wrong, VB6 is really nice and fast for simple apps, but when it comes to gaming, VB.Net just makes your life a lot easier :) Ah well, as long as you fun programming, it really doesn't matter what you use I guess :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Thats true. If you already have it fast and to your liking there is no need to change.

You know the saying ... If it aint broke ..... :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Dragonwarrior333 wrote:Visual Basic 6 is OO and I dont like VB.net because there is no control arrays mainly :evil:
VB6 isn't properly OO (as has been mentioned).
VB.NET supports control arrays. They are not in the control toolbox by default, though.

I used VB6, also use VB.NET (7 and 8 ) on occasion. And yes, VB.NET blows the socks off VB6 in every conceivable manner. However, there's nothing actually wrong with using VB6.

Looks good, from what I can tell :)
Dragonwarrior333

Post by Dragonwarrior333 »

I have decided to give this version out to everyone but the only thing is you cant give it to anyone.

Please note that when you press enter to start the game you must press "d" and makes shure it says "Debug=False" so you can play the game regularly

Download:http://www.freewebs.com/dwarrior333/SpaceDodgers.exe :D

I have vb.net though and there are some other things like file I/O that changed but maybe after this game i'll give ir a second chance and maybe go Active X :shock: :shock: :shock:
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

Dragonwarrior333:
You might want to use: this icon? (it's 48x48 and 32x32 and 16x16)

Everything is working properly on my machine, hey!

Some things:
-health power ups shouldn't replace other power ups
-autofire is a way too good (left right left right tactic)
-enemies should explode when you hit them in invicibility
-enemies are difficult to hit (without AF)
-game over should quit to the start screen
-on the start screen there should be a "press enter"
Revolution Software
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Dragonwarrior333 wrote:I have vb.net though and there are some other things like file I/O that changed but maybe after this game i'll give ir a second chance and maybe go Active X :shock: :shock: :shock:
Aye, they have changed, but for the better. If you look in the DirectX thread you can see me berating thegamefreak0134 for using VB6 techniques in VB.NET ;)

EDIT: Your download link doesn't work for me (bounces me back here, I guess some anti-hotlinking technique).
Dragonwarrior333

My link works I tried it :?

Do you mind posting your ideas on the guestbook on my site? That is where I willl keep track of my suggestions

NanoWar wrote:Dragonwarrior333:
You might want to use: this icon? (it's 48x48 and 32x32 and 16x16)

Everything is working properly on my machine, hey!

Some things:
-health power ups shouldn't replace other power ups
-autofire is a way too good (left right left right tactic)
-enemies should explode when you hit them in invicibility
-enemies are difficult to hit (without AF)
-game over should quit to the start screen
-on the start screen there should be a "press enter"
-About the icon MegaSasquatch is working on it. I just needed a quick one to use, but thanks anyway.

-I am very much aware that the health powerup replaces others which I will work on :D

-I know autofire is way to good maybe a delay or somthing?

-Good idea they should be destroyed :D

-I also know that enemies are harder to hit but the game will start off with less missles and then when you beat a boss or somthing you get a new weapon and then they are not so hard to hit

-Yes I know the gameover should probably say try again, so I will put that in the next one.

-I havent worked on that screen that much and I am going to put a menu in there
:D

Thankyou for testing it so quickly :)
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

About autofire:
You can make a power bar which decreases when you shoot and automatically fills with the time. (better than delay)
Revolution Software
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Dragonwarrior333 wrote:My link works I tried it :?
Even right-click save as prompts me to download/save the MaxCoderz 'viewtopic' file, not your EXE. :(
Dragonwarrior333

NanoWar wrote:About autofire:
You can make a power bar which decreases when you shoot and automatically fills with the time. (better than delay)
You do know that there is a limited time on the powerups so you only get it for a certian ammount of time or maybe that bar only goes down when you shoot :?

And Nano War im not shure if you saw the top of my other post but would you mind putting thoes suggestions in my guestbook on the site :?:
benryves wrote:
Dragonwarrior333 wrote:My link works I tried it :?
Even right-click save as prompts me to download/save the MaxCoderz 'viewtopic' file, not your EXE. :(
Hmm I guess your right try pasting it into your browser: http://www.freewebs.com/dwarrior333/SpaceDodgers.exe
Last edited by Dragonwarrior333 on Thu 15 Jun, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

The link works for me. It could be that it's password protected, and I've already typed the password in.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Dragonwarrior333

CompWiz wrote:The link works for me. It could be that it's password protected, and I've already typed the password in.
Its not it my password does not protect the file and not really the page either :oops:

But it works when you copy and paste :D
Last edited by Dragonwarrior333 on Thu 15 Jun, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

It's hotlink-protected, meaning that if the HTTP referrer is not the freewebs site it blocks the download. However, copying and pasting the URL into a new window doesn't send an HTTP referrer, hence it downloads it... don't know why I didn't think of that before. ;)
Dragonwarrior333

Um I don't think freewebs is blocking it I think it might be maxcoderz :?

Also if anyone that tested it yesterday and had any questions or concerns that they post it here and on ym guestbook because I look there when I need to make changes to my game. :D
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Dragonwarrior333 wrote:Um I don't think freewebs is blocking it I think it might be maxcoderz :?
Guess again, since all OTHER files hotlinked are working (for example ben ryves links to his applications and cobb's link to pindurti)