Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Hello all. This is my first post to the forums, to let you know, so feel free to let me know if I violate any rules or such.

I am working on a port of the old Pokemon Red and Blue versions. I plan to release it for TI-83 Plus as an APP, and code it in such a way that it also works on the 84 plus. This project is in early stages of development, and unfortunately I have no working demo yet.

What I will need to finish the project are many things. I want to make it as accurate as possible. I plan to use greyscale if possible, to have the entire world map with accurate walking and scrolling and such, and to have the proper statistical info for the game as possible. This huge ammount of data is the main reason I chose to work the project as an APP. Also, because I tried to do just the move info in BASIC and it took like 10 seconds to load each moves info. (not joking on time, and this was on an 84!)

What I really need however is info on asm, mainly in the graphics and data department. This is my first time venturing into asm, and as I appear to be doing fine for now I really need to understand the code I'm working with a little better. Look for my username in the asm sections if you can help.

I look forward to finishing this project within a couple of years. Look out for any updates and feel free to comment and help if you can.

I will try to have concept screenshots out in a while.

-thegamefreak0134
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sweet! I am happy we will be getting a asm version of pokemon! And we will also get a basic version too! Sounds nice and can't wait for a ss.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

awesome! I just hope IVs and EVs could be in this game, but according to mathstuff, they weren't in red and blue, so too bad :(

Good luck!!

I'm kinda new at ASM myself, but I suggest using timendus's API or other libraries. Overall, z80 is okay to manipulate.

DOn't know much about making APPs though.
Image Image Image
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

cant wait for it. can i be a tester when you get that far? ive played a bunch of pokemon games. i dont anymore, but i still know what to expect.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I GUESS you could use Timendus's API, but for the size of these games, you'll want to make the most size optimizations possible and custom routines and having Spencer, CoBB, Jim e, and others scan your code to find workarounds and stuff (if they'll consent). I'd be happy to rip some sprites for you though, and Jim e has already made some grayscale background sprites. And a scrolling demo using them.

This sounds like a great project! I really hope you can do this.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

looks like I have an asm competitor now... Oh well, that means I will have to make my game that much better... :D

Hope this turns out well. :)
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I thought you two were the same person.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Nope, I sign on to all calc forums as tifreak8x...
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Since purple is a combination of the two, there should be unlockable things in each program that need the other person's program. Special items or battles or characters. That would be cool.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Oh, I have a few puzzles planned, to make the game a little different... And more challenging. :)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Weapons! and All GIRLS!
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

tifreak8x wrote:looks like I have an asm competitor now... Oh well, that means I will have to make my game that much better... :D

Hope this turns out well. :)
hey, it doesn't mean we won't appreciate your game. It'll probably be good too. Just with ASM, and APP capability, he might be able to get in all 151 pokemon easily. But he might have to struggle with graphics stuff.
Image Image Image
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Thank you. :)

I plan on adding all 151 pokemon as well, plus maybe a few things that the other game did not...

So far, my game is using 4 asm progs:

Resource
Title screen made in Rigview
VARSTATS (To check for save game)
16x16 sprite routine (Once Kerm completes it)

And trust me, I don't mean the asm competition in a bad way, that just means I have to make my BASIC game hold up as close to the same standards as an asm version. :)

In the next beta (In maybe 1-2 weeks) you will be able to notice some definite improvements. :)

@thegamefreak0134:

I have the hex to alot of the original 16x16 sprites used in red and blue, but it is still missing some (Which I am using graphing paper, and a gameboy to get them) :) You have to have CalcGS to view the files...
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Wow, I never expected so many replies in a day! Thanks guys.

I believe if I'm not too mistaken that EVs and IVs were present in Red and Blue. What I think was different is that Red and Blue imposed no limit on the ammount of Protiens and things you could give your pokemon to raise those stats. (Without IVs and EVs, how would a protein even work in red and blue?)

The info I will need here I can't seem to find anywhere. What are the formulas for leveling up pokemon in Red and Blue. (Like attack, defense, speed, and special.) I have the stuff for expirience, actually. I will also need the starting EVs and IVs for Red Version Pokemon and the Base Stats for each one.

Other than that, I do actually have all of the info. I will have their images too. I decided to use the mini versions from Ruby and Sapphire to serve as the front images, and the back versions from red and blue, just not blown up. (They look suprisingly good that way.)

As for the world map, I can't decide exactly how to do it. I definately want the whole thing in greyscale if possible. I am going to try to code a smooth scrolling engine. I can't decide whether to leave the map as is, or to kind of shrink the areas, as navigating a cave could become difficult when you can't see the usual area of screen.

Trading in the game will definately be possible, and I actually like the purple unlockables idea. Why don't you design purple so that you can, through a rather difficult task, obtain a mew. Then, that will be the way to obtain it in my Red and Blue versions. The diploma, true to the original, will of course still be obtainable without it.

I also need to decide if I want to include all of the "cheats" in the game. I know the missingno. trick should be easy to pull off, as it is a matter of an ill-defined tile. I can also probably get the mew glitch to work, and I plan to include the truck regardless. However, I may or may not do this. Or these options could be other unlockables obtainable after beating the Elite Four or something like that.

I think the hardest part for me right now is learning assembly code to include and accurately recall all of this data. You'll see me asking in the other section for help on basic things, so help me out if you can.

Thanks for all the input. I'll try to have a Basic battle system going, and I'll let any testers wishing to try it out do so. I'll also include a demo party editor so you can put in your own pkmn from the game to test my stats system. I want this to be accurate to the decimal place in battle.

-gamefreak

PS: With one exception, I am thegamefreak0134 on all forums. On vgmusic.com, I am flynt2002stone still. (also, on some forums I had to cut the numbers down to 013 due to size.) Hope this clears up any confusion!
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:Wow, I never expected so many replies in a day! Thanks guys.

I believe if I'm not too mistaken that EVs and IVs were present in Red and Blue.
IV's were, EV's were not. Stat experience was also. EV's are now domwthing new with RSE if I'm not mistaken.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:What I think was different is that Red and Blue imposed no limit on the ammount of Protiens and things you could give your pokemon to raise those stats. (Without IVs and EVs, how would a protein even work in red and blue?)
They cap out after 25600 Stat Experience (out of a max of 63002, where they don't give any extra after that).
thegamefreak0134 wrote:The info I will need here I can't seem to find anywhere. What are the formulas for leveling up pokemon in Red and Blue. (Like attack, defense, speed, and special.) I have the stuff for expirience, actually. I will also need the starting EVs and IVs for Red Version Pokemon and the Base Stats for each one.
I have all of that. Just PM me for what info you need, and I can send it. Formulae can be found in the readme to my PokeModr program. If you need any help, I can give you access to a place on my forums where Pokemon development is discussed. A link can be found on the PokeModr page or in my sig.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:Other than that, I do actually have all of the info. I will have their images too. I decided to use the mini versions from Ruby and Sapphire to serve as the front images, and the back versions from red and blue, just not blown up. (They look suprisingly good that way.)
If I remember right, RBY/GSC sprites are 56x56 on the GB(C) and the backs are scaled sprites to save space. If you can get a sprite scaling routine working, you can save quite a bit of memory using that.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:As for the world map, I can't decide exactly how to do it. I definately want the whole thing in greyscale if possible. I am going to try to code a smooth scrolling engine. I can't decide whether to leave the map as is, or to kind of shrink the areas, as navigating a cave could become difficult when you can't see the usual area of screen.
I don't know z80, so this is up to you...
thegamefreak0134 wrote:Trading in the game will definately be possible, and I actually like the purple unlockables idea. Why don't you design purple so that you can, through a rather difficult task, obtain a mew. Then, that will be the way to obtain it in my Red and Blue versions. The diploma, true to the original, will of course still be obtainable without it.
Well, you don't have to follow the originals exactly. I'm surely not going to because I am adding secret areas along with fixing glithes from the originals.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:I also need to decide if I want to include all of the "cheats" in the game. I know the missingno. trick should be easy to pull off, as it is a matter of an ill-defined tile. I can also probably get the mew glitch to work, and I plan to include the truck regardless. However, I may or may not do this. Or these options could be other unlockables obtainable after beating the Elite Four or something like that.
Missingno. has no real purpose... I do have a way to include Mew already, but that is secret from everyone.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:I think the hardest part for me right now is learning assembly code to include and accurately recall all of this data. You'll see me asking in the other section for help on basic things, so help me out if you can.
From what I remember of z80, data storage and recalling isn't your biggest problem, the routines are.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I'll try to have a Basic battle system going, and I'll let any testers wishing to try it out do so. I'll also include a demo party editor so you can put in your own pkmn from the game to test my stats system. I want this to be accurate to the decimal place in battle.
Just PM me for any info you need, or catch me on my forums.