Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I'm glad to see positive results from this.

The black spots for a couple of frames are mainly just a glitch that happens if you go too far to the left or top. Since my routine only decrements, if the map rolls over, the images run off into the neverlands. Not fun. Since it only reads fortunately, it wont crash or anything, but will look awfully odd. All of the maps will be designed to avoid this little error, but if I make a mistake in a map (or the engine) and you see something to this effect, that;s all it is.

As for the size, I intend to use slightly smaller sprites than that (28x28 for backs, 24x32 for fronts) and a heck of a lot of compression. I also have discovered (thanks to jim e. Wonderful person) that maps can be shrunk by a process known as sub-mapping, which is basically repeating common patterns. Since this is used a lot in the actual game, no reason why it shouldn't be used here as well.

Yes, the grey flickering is PindrTI. It looks really good on a real calc. If you run it in vti of course, the flickering goes away.

Thanks for the comments y'all! I'll try to get something a little more impressive (like a character, collision, and smooth scrolling) in as soon as possible. I kinda need to finish the map maker first though, as trying to do this all by hand is a bit of a pain. Will post again soon, as my project focus has turned seriously to this.

-gamefreak

PS: I will not give up. Even if it's 23 pages and only runs on a TI-84 Plus Silver edition, it still runs and is still a cool achievement. Have faith. For the record, I'm a senior in high school, and have been working on this project since the 7th grade. I'm not about to give up now!
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

thegamefreak0134 wrote: PS: I will not give up. Even if it's 23 pages and only runs on a TI-84 Plus Silver edition, it still runs and is still a cool achievement. Have faith. For the record, I'm a senior in high school, and have been working on this project since the 7th grade. I'm not about to give up now!
Glad to hear it. :)

I can't wait to see your next round of screenshots. :D
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I realized that I've been worrying a lot about the graphics and such. Would y'all have anything against me releasing a graphics-less text battle engine to get the stats and things working right? I think I could make it portable enough to add graphics when I was ready, but I need to go ahead and solidify the pokemon data and the moves and such...

-gamefreak

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

sure no problem. I've kinda run into the same problem with my first project, but the battle engine is too simple i've already made a gfx-less version. Now to get the sprite data to agree with me....
Image Image Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

That's fine, it's your project after all! If you get rid of all the graphics for the battle engine, that's also a lot of saved space.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

It's not like the battles will be permanently graphics-less.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, work on it in whatever order makes sense to you. Don't worry about making pretty screenshots, worry about getting it to be a working program.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Cool. I've already made the basic code map for it, so I should have something playable within a week or so. Since it's going to be mainly routine based, (this saves a lot of space for my implementation) it shouldn't be very hard to port to graphics anyway. However, getting the engine to behave like the original games, including all the weird things that arent really supposed to happen but do anyway, will be a bit of challenge. Thus, expect a couple of releases with different pokemon and possibly wrong movesets (or perhaps simply a way to change that before starting the battle) so I can test everything.

-gamefreak

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Good to see you coding on the game now!! Can't wait to try out the demo. :)
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Oh it's gonna be real exciting. :roll: Should play out alright though.

b-flat

Post by b-flat »

whatever happened to this project?

It was looking pretty good for a while...
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

not sure, I think he moved on to bigger and better things, i.e the PC
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

/whatis PC

Psh, only bigger than a calc >.>
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Nooooo! Not PC! This project is so far along!
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

PC= A BIGGER BETTER calc. :P
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12