Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

SMC:

Code: Select all

ld      a,24
    ld      (RestoreA+1),a
    call    RestoreA    ;will load 24 into a
RestoreA:
    ld  a,0
    ret
You can do everything with SMC. SMC is just fast. (look at some programming competition threads)

Edit: Oh cross post.. whatever..
Revolution Software
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

O_O oh ya, the second byte of the load command is the value being loaded rofl

sorry for going so VERY VERY off topic.
Image Image Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

:o ... I get it, but don't quite see the usefull purposes. It's much easier in my head to use variables. Course, I suppose if you change one number in a loop rather than changing a variable, it makes the loop much faster because it doesn't have to load the variable every time, it already has the value. This could potentially be useful, actually.

You watch, I'll be using it now. That and I'll screw it over and my calc really will explode!

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Are there any other useful applications of that? Or is it best to use SMC whenever you need to avoid loading from a variable?
Image Image Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Speed is always good. Not just for variables, either - it's useful for swapping instructions around (for example, change an INC HL for a DEC HL).
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Where can i find hex codes, sizes, and clocks for all the z80 instructions?
Image Image Image
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

Revolution Software
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Still can't get grey to work, but will fix later.

Hello again. I'm just letting you know, I'm working on the world map engine for the game now. I intend to have at least something working in the near future, so keep an eye out. It will not be in grey, mainly cause I need to get the routines working for the package in an APP (many strange issues) but it should still be a good run if it does in fact work. I'm also making a custom mapper for the game, so anyone wishing to map can do so.

I'm also working on the trainer shots for the game. Will post later.

I'll post either when it's done or when I'm online again, whichever comes first.

-gamefreak

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

so, you'll post if you finish it before you are online again? I think you mean whichever comes last. :mrgreen:

It's great to hear that there's progress on this. Greyscale or no, if it's working, that's nice. :)

awaiting the trainer shots.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Well, I would hardly call it finished, but I have the bare bones of a mapper made. The really cool thing here is that because I am so new, this looks really fast to me, even though I know my code is absolute crap.

Here in this shot you can see the beginnnings of palette town. It's not finished past the two houses as I am mapping it out by hand (the map maker is not finished quite yet) but other than that you can see my poor asm skills.

This is only the initial drawing engine, which will put the first image on-screen when you enter an area. The rest will be covered by a scrolling routine, which will write later when I have toe collision system worked out. This way, I know it's going to work alright even if it doesn't look good. Here's that screenie:

I intend to finish palette town, and then work on a couple systems to basically allow you to (primitively) walk around the town and not walk through things. The character is not there yet, because I've been focusing on the map. But it is a great achievement (two days of headaches and a discovery that modifying the interrupt registers while they are being used isn't a very good idea) so I dedided to go ahead and post it. The project is now taking shape. Congrats.

-gamefreak

PS: Would it be a bad idea to require about 5000 bytes (give or take a few) for the APP to run? Cause I really need to be able to copy the map and graphics to RAM to keep the basic engines on one page. Plus, this will speed things up and make things smaller in the actual app.

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Nice. I think we can both agree for our projects that the maps will be one of the bigger pains, since there is so much map data to put in.

Still hammering away at the sprites on mine, just finished #49 today...
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Seems like you gonna get some competition really soon :P
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

wow, looks nice. what's with the black spots? bad screenshoter? It's really impressive right now.
Image Image Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Wow, looking nice!

I've got a question, though: how are you going to fit all of this?

Sprite: 32 x 4 x 2 for your 32x32 sprites, assuming that they only have one shade of gray
Name: 8 assuming that the average name length is 7 bytes plus 0
HM/TM: 7 seven bytes gives you 56 bits, assuming one of those bits stands an hm or tm
Movelist: 8 assuming on average each pokemon only learns 8 moves

all x 151 = 42129 bytes

And that's just the data for the pokemon, it doesn't include the gym leaders or the maps or the trainers or the scripts or anything.
I certainly believe you can do it, it's just that it will be a MASSIVE program if you ever do finish!

I am very interested in getting into rpg programming, so if you ever do need any help let me know and maybe we can pseudo code together or something :P
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

wow, that looks great. It's great that you're progressing on this. Also, I'm guessing the greyscale flickering is because of the emulator, and you wouldn't see it on a calculator, right?

As to the huge amounts of data, maybe some compression would help you save some space, but it still will be a huge app. Oh well, it's worth it.

Also, 5000 bytes of ram taken up is fine. Most other games require a lot more than that.

It's great to see progress on this. Feel free to post any more screenshots of progress you make. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image