Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

why wouldn't red and blue be in one app with two (one for red, one for blue) sets of save files? Then you could take your pokemon set from the other save and just treat it like an opponent. Do you realy want some one to have to pay twice the flash memory price to finish the game fully? Also, are there any plans of hidden extra areas and special game modes and such if you have free memory left in your last app page?
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Wouldn't it destroy the "fun factor" of playing it with other people? Then again it would be uncomfortable to do trades with calcs linking bottom to bottom (with the exception of the Ti-84 series..)
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

or vs. battles for that matter.
Image Image Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

On the demo, I've seen several tilemap demos for the BASIC series that look nice. You forget that I wrote one of them, although it was never released. The speed of the actuall moving isn't that bad (quite playable) if it's done zelda-style, like I did. What kills it really is the drawing rate of each area, although I had very decent speeds using asm sprite programs like zsprite. (I realize omnicalc is faster, but I can't afford to use pics, or at least I couldnt.

On the linking issue, what you forget is that very little actually has to be sent over a link cable:

Trades - Send info for all pokemon at start of trade. Basically, whenever a trade is done the info is swapped, and a cute animation is played. Simple enough. The only real time info sent here is the pokkemon to be traded, after the info is said and done with.

Battles - All pokemon info will be sent at the beginning (that "connection standby" thing.) Then, one calc will act as a host and controll the battle while the other will basically recieve info and perform animations. (This way different versions will remain compatable if I go off and change something in the engine.)

I've thought this through and if I keep the actuall transfer info to a minimum it should work fine. It will be a little interesting to see what happens to the calcs of different speeds however... :lol:

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

It shouldn't affect anything unless you allow the program to run at 15MHz when possible. Other than that, if you don't enable the "switch", then everything runs at 6MHz. If you wanna see a demo, I still got the Gemini game with the 15MHz unlocking. Of course, it only works noticibly on 15Mhz calcs. It's realllllly dizzam fast!
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

So have you done any coding?
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Well.... coding is the slow part for me. I'm not letting myself do anything too major (like any graphics at all) untill I have greyscale up and running, and that shouldn't take too much more tinkering with the people here. My main coding endevors have been data purposed. I'm writing a bunch of routines to read back the data I've been feeding the app, given certain registers for input and either a register or a mem location for output. This way, when I get to coding, I'll worry about the logic and not the data involved.

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Well, good luck... I would hate to try and build this game in asm, but once completed, I am sure it will be well worth it. :)
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

data manipulation is probably my weakest area. it's a good thing you're practicing how to do that.
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I thought this would help.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

I haven't seen him on for a while, I wonder if he is still working on this...
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Yes, I'm still working on it. It's kinda been on hold for a while because I am working on porting Super Smash Bros. to the GBA with a friend. However, by no means do I intend to drop the project.

One day this week, I am going to be brave and attempt to get the greyscale engine I have to load in an APP. If I can get it to work, the rest of the coding should follow simply enough. Well, the logic anyway.

I figure, of course, that I can start working on a battle engine without greyscale, as it's basically just text. (and lines which I don't know how to do yet.) I might get to work on either one. Now however, I must study for Government. Grr...

-thegamefreak0134

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Good to see you aren't planning to drop this project! I hope you are successful in getting it to work properly in the app. Good luck with Government!
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Smash Bros to GBA !!!!! /me faints
Image Image Image
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

I am glad that this is still going! ^_^