Robot War: Project Darkstar

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Robot War: Project Darkstar

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow! Great work chickendude. This is one of those amazing 82 games, possibly the best 82 in history and its great that you're bringing it to the 83+ :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Yeah, it really is amazing! I never got to play it on the 82 unfortunately, so i'm playing it as i go through :) I've already come across a few bugs which i'm not sure if it's my code or if they were present in the original, i have a feeling it's me though :oops: There have also been quite a few crashes which HAVE been due to my code, or things that still need to be changed. tr1p1ea, did you ever do any coding on the 82?
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Wow looks like you got pretty far so far. I too wished I could have played this great game.

You sure keep yourself busy ha
The Revolution is here...
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well after that week i kinda got busy with "other things" ;) I started porting it to an app but it's currently not in a stable state, gotta fix all the SMC and other things that got broken in the transition, though i did build myself a nice 5kb buffer in RAM to play with. I think in a month or so i'll have a bit more time to work on it, especially now that i have a real calc to test (aka play!) it on :D This is a game i've literally wanted to play since it came out but never got the chance to. I really wish DigiTan were still around, though.
shmibs

Post by shmibs »

so how's this coming along, chickendude? have you made any recent progress?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I started converting it to an app and then sort of left it, apart from deeph and myself no one really seemed too anxious to see it come out so i got sidetracked with other projects. I'll get back to it soon enough, it's my first time dealing with a multi-page app so it'll be good practice and besides, it's just an incredible game. :)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Yes it was an incredible game. I'd still like to see the port finished, but your other stuff I'm sure is just as good! :D
The Revolution is here...
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Btw, i finished the port a couple days ago, you can download the 8xp/source here:
http://www.mirari.fr/fg0c
..or just the 8xp here:
http://www.mirari.fr/FRG1

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get it working on the 83+. Due to the size of the executable code i used Crabcake as a way to get around that. I'm currently trying to get thepenguin's Fullrene working with the 83+. Fullrene is also much smaller, which would be nice, since the game currently barely fits in RAM (i already had to shave off a good 1kb from the original just to get it to fit). With Fullrene you wouldn't need a completely empty VAT anymore. Some folks at Omnimaga also offered to work on converting it to an app.

Anyway, the game itself is amazing, anyone who never got to try it out on an 82 should definitely try it out on their 84+/SE (or favorite emulator)!
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow! Amazing work chickendude!
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Thanks, i actually got it working on the 83+ thanks to thepenguin's Fullrene. The updated .8xp can be downloaded here:
http://revsoft.tifreakware.net/phpBB3/d ... php?id=274
...and source here:
http://revsoft.tifreakware.net/phpBB3/d ... php?id=275

Though NanoWar mentioned running across a crash which i haven't looked into. I played through the entire game on my 84+SE using the previous version and the only difference between this one and that is the switch from Crabcake to Fullrene, so i'm not sure what could be the issue. I guess i'll have to look into it. :(