Blue World - Quest

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Blue World - Quest

Post by VahnRPG »

Okay, I'm not going to make this a big announcement yet, but I am currently working on a remake of MtSQuest. Actually, it's more 2 games that are a remake of MtSQuest.
The first game, Blue World - Quest (Hope), will feature the same battle system as MtSQuest but with one BIG difference, you will be able to LINK your combos together! I JUST got done programming this yesterday and I've been having all sorts of fun ever since :D
Say you have 2 Normal Arts, DUL and LRR. If you did DULLRR it would do both combos, one after the other. HOWEVER, if you simply did DULRR you would ALSO do both combos and save an extra block! Cool, isn't it? The thing with my system is, however, is that if you had a Hyper Art RRL and did RRLRR you would do the Hyper Art then the Normal Art. But if you did LRRL you would do a low punch and then the Hyper Art. This is intentional, by the way. I think this makes the system much more flexible to the player as they can find their own chains of combos and do unruly damage while getting tons of SP to unleash one of the kick ass attacks.
Here's a test run of it: http://www.superkidinc.com/downloads/Linking.8xp. Buttons are Up (HK), Down (LK), Left (LP), Right (HP) for the attacks, Clear to clear the command bar, Enter to accept, and + to quit. It's very basic, just the command line, so don't be expecting to wail on any DroidBots any time soon ;)
The second game, Blue World - Quest (Dreams), will be using the fighting style battle system I created for the dead project Blue World - Test. However, I doubt I'm going to program the combos so that they could link. I might, now that I think about it, but I wouldn't hold me to it. To make up for this, tho, there are specials that are better in certain circumstances. Some attacks will only work in short range situations while others work best at long range. There are also some combos that do more damage based on things like your HP, SP, a particular stat, etc.
The games will follow both follow the same storyline, the only REAL difference is the battle systems. I'm planning on doing the games in 5 parts. Actually, the games themselves are 1 file. The chapters of the story will be in external files that might be as big as a whole app page themselves so it's going to be rather large. There will also be 5 different endings that you can get on the first playthrough! None of that 4+ playthroughs to get that stupid last NA to get the best ending like last time, which I think will make a lot of people happy, especially if they have to fill up their entire calc with my 1 stupid game >.<
Let's see...what all else does it feature...
There will be leveling up, but it's not important to which ending you get like the last one. The screens will be 16x16 tilesize (same with the sprite) so that means bigger, more detailed maps (not OVERLY detailed, however) AND it means you can RUN! Whoo! Okay, so, big deal, you can run, so what? Well, running has 2 benefits. One, it gets you through maps quicker, and 2 you are moving faster so it's harder for the enemies to catch you and send you into battle (meaning less random battles). HOWEVER, unlike most RPGs, you don't get to run forever. You will have stamina and if it runs out, you won't be able to run for a while. If you get into battle while you are in that no-run condition, you will be in the Tired status when you start battle. Oh yeah, that's another thing, status effects. Currently it's planned to have about...15 status effects, 5 of them positive. They each have their own little quirks as would be expected (in fact, one of them makes it so that if you get hit hard enough while you have the status, you die instantly :twisted:)
Um, there's also equipment to help boost your stats. The equips are basically these things I call "Tabs" that fit into slots on your "Necasen Crest" (complicated terms, ne? don't worry, it's not really important). There are 4 levels of Tabs, the higher the level the strong it is but the more slots on the Crest it takes up. Allows for more customization on the player's part :D
There's also a bunch of items, like about 35 so far. Some can be used in battle, some only on the map, and some on both. Some heal HP, some SP, some give you a temporary stats boost, some cure status effects, and some cause them ;)
Oh, yes, as for stats there are upper attack/defense, lower attack/defense, mind, speed, accuracy, and evasion. Mind helps your specials and resistance to magic & bad status effects, while speed helps determine who goes first and how many times they attack before the opponent...well, in Hope that is. In Dreams, speed helps your evasion. Defense will determine not only how much damage you will take if your don't evade it but whether you block it as well. Defending will, naturally, increase your defense and chance for blocking, and I'm thinking it will also increase your SP by a little bit as well. When you attack someone, if you do a High attack on a short enemy, naturally you'll do 0 damage, likewise if you do a low attack on an enemy in the air. Some of your special attacks will be the same way, so take that into account ;) Some of your stats will also be used outside of battle as well, but I'll let you all figure that out :D
I'm also planning on doing link game features. If you get a particular ending, you're save file will have a special code in it so when you start up playing the other game you'll receive some bonus's and there will be minor in game differences (kind of like Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages for GB)

Yes, I haven't given this game ANY concideration and have NO desire WHATSOEVER to complete it ...not
Yeah, I'd REALLY love to make this game, but I'm not going to say for certain that I will be able to make this game till I have a story laid out and I have a better idea as to the calc requirements it'll need. As I said, I'm fairly sure I'll need at LEAST 5 app pages for the games themselves, and then there will be 5 chapter files that will contain map information, text, etc. Until I can get an idea of my requirements for that, I won't make an official announcements for it...have an idea for the story (don't worry, it'll be MUCH better than MtSQuest) but until I got it down for certain...
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Hehe, this post is must be the readme sort of thing for that demo you hosted. I remember how long that txt file was in the original game. :twisted: It's very nice to see some stuff coming from you again. I wondered what happened as your site has been inactive for quite a while. :)
bananas... o.o
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

Yeah, well, what can I say? I like to type (since i'm very quiet/shy IRL >XD)
But, yeah, the site HAS been kind of dead recently...mostly because I've had a job that's 10 hours a day for 4 days in a row and after I get home I have next to no energy to do anything but watch a lil anime then get a shower and go to bed. However, my job consists of me sitting in front of a computer parts tester and watch it work, making sure it doesn't screw up. In the time it's not screwing up, I'm usually thinking about this game as well as the reworking of my comic. However, I don't have enough time to really work on the comic, tho I HAVE been drawing some of the scenes and characters in my free time, so I've been focusing on the game...thus the patented VahnRPG Wall-O-Text :D
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

Blue World - Coming soon
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Hey, there's no graphics here! :o It just sticks out words that say kick/punch/etc. :cry: I am sad, I wanted to see the blue haired guy hitting things. 8)
bananas... o.o
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Re: Blue World - Quest

Post by VahnRPG »

VahnRPG wrote:It's very basic, just the command line, so don't be expecting to wail on any DroidBots any time soon ;)
Quoted for emphasis :P

Blue World - Coming soon
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

ImageImageImageImageImage
whee
well, i've got an idea for a story now...so i'm at that point where to continue work on the story, i've gotta work more on the game...but to work on the game, i gotta have a story...It's like a catch 44 or something...
blah...time for work...

Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

VahnRPG wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage
whee
well, i've got an idea for a story now...so i'm at that point where to continue work on the story, i've gotta work more on the game...but to work on the game, i gotta have a story...It's like a catch 44 or something...
blah...time for work...
i really like the 8x8? ones they look really cool, and its better than a o and a _ underneath it :D.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

16x16 :P

Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

VahnRPG wrote:16x16 :P
looks really nice and i would love to see the code to this game :x , jk you might not release it as well....
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

oh, it's craptacular to say the least. just finished putting in the walking of the sprites in there...looks pretty good if i do say so myself :D

Blue World - Coming soon
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Excellent, those sprites doo look sweet :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

hm...like those, eh? meh, I was saving these for a special occasion, so I might as well post 'em here too...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I like the new battle ones. They don't seem as...flat as the ones from the last game. I especially like the punching ones ^^'
I don't have much farther to go on finishing the normal battle sprites...just blocking and powering up...then the special attacks and the enemeies...crap >.<
Oh, just remembered, I got a screenshot of the map routine using the walking sprites (ignore the 'Blue World - Test' title screen...I'm still working on that part...)
However, now I'm stuck at a crossroads again...as I believe I said, this project will be fairly large...Probably 5 pages for the app, then 5 more 20k max files for the story that would include the maps and junk, and I think i might need about 6k of ram too (2k each for the player and enemy sprites in the fighting style game, for sprite flipping, and then about another 2k for uncompressing the current map into ram for ease of use). So, 5 page app and 5 chapter files...or 1 9-page app...or 5 5-page apps...those are my options, I think...
Any ideas?

Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

VahnRPG wrote:hm...like those, eh? meh, I was saving these for a special occasion, so I might as well post 'em here too...
I like the new battle ones. They don't seem as...flat as the ones from the last game. I especially like the punching ones ^^'
I don't have much farther to go on finishing the normal battle sprites...just blocking and powering up...then the special attacks and the enemeies...crap >.<
Oh, just remembered, I got a screenshot of the map routine using the walking sprites (ignore the 'Blue World - Test' title screen...I'm still working on that part...)
However, now I'm stuck at a crossroads again...as I believe I said, this project will be fairly large...Probably 5 pages for the app, then 5 more 20k max files for the story that would include the maps and junk, and I think i might need about 6k of ram too (2k each for the player and enemy sprites in the fighting style game, for sprite flipping, and then about another 2k for uncompressing the current map into ram for ease of use). So, 5 page app and 5 chapter files...or 1 9-page app...or 5 5-page apps...those are my options, I think...
Any ideas?
All i have to say is :shock: :worship: :shock: .....it looks really nice, and as far as the crossroads. Cant you make the game engine a app then make chapter files like TVF? so you would have a 5 page app and then have several chapters?
Last edited by kalan_vod on Mon 05 Sep, 2005 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

Yeah, that's where the whole 'crossroads' problem comes from. My current plan is to do like you said, but the maps aren't all the same from chapter to chapter, so I have to include them in the chapter files.

And could you remove the images from your quote, once is enough :P

Blue World - Coming soon
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

VahnRPG wrote:Yeah, that's where the whole 'crossroads' problem comes from. My current plan is to do like you said, but the maps aren't all the same from chapter to chapter, so I have to include them in the chapter files.

And could you remove the images from your quote, once is enough :P
its removed now, but its so sexy so i couldn't get rid of it :D